Truck Size To Tow A 28 Footer

I was quoting Adrian....not sure why it showed that way like I made the statement. The whole comment that at a GM or ford will blow up ar two years towing 14k like a few thou a year is just ridiculous enough to make beer come out my nose!

That's interesting. I would love to own that hauler....BUT, I don't want to either look at or store it. Most people own a truck because they need a truck. Yard waste, gravel, lumber etc....
I'm not going to pick up a six pack with that. Let's be real here

I guess as a stand alone unit much like a Moho. The beauty of a truck is it's still a useful day to day vehicle. Don't get me wrong those big tow rigs are aesome but for most people it's just useless the other 340 days a year

Could you image the ferry fee on that big rig? got to be 35-40ft with out the boat behind lol guess if that your rig tho, you probably are not worried about the fees.
*referring to caspers post above - that 5th wheel and boat combo looks dangerous

I know this is contrary to a lot of the views on here, and I can only speak to towing with a Ford F 150, but I would not hesitate to tow 10,000 lbs with a properly equipped F150.

it all depends on how often and where you are going. It sucks to have to drive a 1 ton as a daily driver to tow your boat a total of 10 days a year. Short trips around the island and lower mainland there should be no problem towing up to maXimum trailer weight. You just have to be smart about it and do not exceed the vehicle capacities. The new 1/2 ton trucks are nearly as capable or better than 10-15 year old 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

if you are planning to do cross country runs towing 10,000lbs, a gas job 1/2 ton is probably not your best option.

full disclosure, I’ve owned 1/2 ton, 3/4 tons, 1 tons and towed everything from seadoo trailers to triple axle toyhauler and flatbeds over the last 25 years in the B.C. interior and far north.

I really appreciate all the constructive comments, guys. I’m paying lots of attention to the comments now because today, I sold my Skagit Orca....yup, right in the middle of spring season....my daughter asked me if anythings was wrong, am I feeling alright, C-19 got me down.....YES, C-19 has me totally down...today is the day I usually fill up my tank in Shearwater to make the run to North Coast....so yeah, I got plagued this summer and I feel pretty chitty about no trip to the promised land

But meanwhile, I’ve backed away from the table on the 28 foot Seasport....so....No one ton in the cards. It would be the ultimate rig....twin DF350’s....Optimus system...I was drooling... But now I’ve got my eyes on his younger brother....a Kodiak 26 with a single DF350.... so pretty sure my Titan XD will pull it and I won’t have to upgrade the tow unit.

Probably the main reason I don’t want to belly up to the bar for a new truck, either 3/4 or one ton: My sweety pie Northern Lite camper! It would be a bridge too far to sell the Orca, the Titan and the Northern Lite all in the same summer.

8035FC0E-8F95-4F0B-BE1F-6705DA146949.jpeg

What a world...in the last 3 weeks I’ve sold three of my most favorite boats....no Skeena trip this year so I sold my Skeena rig

2ED233A4-E93E-4C45-B2B1-5E48C6BD84AD.jpeg

Crappy local river regulations so I sold my OLympic Peninsula rig:

A61451B7-66D0-4854-A474-9A69DFC9627E.jpeg

Now no North Coast trip so I sold the Orca

I did get a trip in over the weekend, though. 4 Springs (3 of them peanut fish but at least they had the right spots, no adipose, and that intoxicating slime smell that someone should make a perfume of), and the 4th was wild which I turned loose because I had to , but lets just say.....it had some shoulders....

Thanks again for the truck comments—-I learned lots!

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the constructive comments, guys. I’m paying lots of attention to the comments now because today, I sold my Skagit Orca....yup, right in the middle of spring season....my daughter asked me if anythings was wrong, am I feeling alright, C-19 got me down.....YES, C-19 has me totally down...today is the day I usually fill up my tank in Shearwater to make the run to North Coast....so yeah, I got plagued this summer and I feel pretty chitty about no trip to the promised land

But meanwhile, I’ve backed away from the table on the 28 foot Seasport....so....No one ton in the cards. It would be the ultimate rig....twin DF350’s....Optimus system...I was drooling... But now I’ve got my eyes on his younger brother....a Kodiak 26 with a single DF350.... so pretty sure my Titan XD will pull it and I won’t have to upgrade the tow unit.

Probably the main reason I don’t want to belly up to the bar for a new truck, either 3/4 or one ton: My sweety pie Northern Lite camper! It would be a bridge too far to sell the Orca, the Titan and the Northern Lite all in the same summer.

View attachment 55237

What a world...in the last 3 weeks I’ve sold three of my most favorite boats....no Skeena trip this year so I sold my Skeena rig

View attachment 55233

Crappy local river regulations so I sold my OLympic Peninsula rig:

View attachment 55235

Now no North Coast trip so I sold the Orca

I did get a trip in over the weekend, though. 4 Springs (3 of them peanut fish but at least they had the right spots, no adipose, and that intoxicating slime smell that someone should make a perfume of), and the 4th was wild which I turned loose because I had to , but lets just say.....it had some shoulders....

Thanks again for the truck comments—-I learned lots!
Very odd times we are going through for sure. Sorry to hear you sold your other rigs but sounds like you have things planned out and a very level head about it all. Nice to hear about the Springs you got into on the weekend. Sounds like a great trip.

I know this is contrary to a lot of the views on here, and I can only speak to towing with a Ford F 150, but I would not hesitate to tow 10,000 lbs with a properly equipped F150.

it all depends on how often and where you are going. It sucks to have to drive a 1 ton as a daily driver to tow your boat a total of 10 days a year. Short trips around the island and lower mainland there should be no problem towing up to maXimum trailer weight. You just have to be smart about it and do not exceed the vehicle capacities. The new 1/2 ton trucks are nearly as capable or better than 10-15 year old 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

if you are planning to do cross country runs towing 10,000lbs, a gas job 1/2 ton is probably not your best option.

full disclosure, I’ve owned 1/2 ton, 3/4 tons, 1 tons and towed everything from seadoo trailers to triple axle toyhauler and flatbeds over the last 25 years in the B.C. interior and far north.

My fathers friends dodge 1500 can only tow 7800lbs
Had to get me to tow his 35foot trailer he bought last week 12,000lbs in my 01 dodge 2500 bags were at 60 psi to level it out
I doubt a new half ton would be able to easily pull something that size with out breaking anything.

My fathers friends dodge 1500 can only tow 7800lbs
Had to get me to tow his 35foot trailer he bought last week 12,000lbs in my 01 dodge 2500 bags were at 60 psi to level it out
I doubt a new half ton would be able to easily pull something that size with out breaking anything.

Yeah, everybody gets all excited about their half-tons making 400+ hp and pulling 12,000lbs...because the ad during the Superbowl said they could! But most aren't optioned to pull the headline weight, and even if they are you have to be very very careful about not exceeding the payload.

When I bought my F150 the headline towing number was 11,400lbs. But the way mine is configured it's only rated for 8,900lbs.

Anyway, enough of a derail. Sounds like @Sharphooks has a level head and a path forward. Keep posting pics!!

It's usually the 2wd Ext cab models in the 1/2 tons that have the high ratings. Most regular crew cab trucks being purchased like said are about 9000 give or take.

I have a 2012 Duramax and the manual shows towing 18,000lb. It pulls 7,000 like it wasn't there and it doesn't burn much more fuel while pulling. I use to pull our Skagit Orca from Victoria to Kelowna and back every year and going up the Coquihalla hills was no problem to travel at 120+ kl

I think the only difference between a 2500 and 3500 is one more leaf spring added to the 3500.

2012 Silverado 3500HD 2012 Ford F-350 2012 Ram 3500
Max. Fifth-Wheel Towing 23,000 lbs. 22,700 lbs. 22,700 lbs.
Max. Conventional Towing 18,000 lbs. 17,500 lbs. 12,050 lbs.
Max. Payload Capacity 7,215 lbs. 7,110 lbs. 5,190 lbs.
Max. GCWR 30,500 lbs. 30,000 lbs. 30,000 lbs.

I may be slightly above my tow capacity

7UdYikq.jpg

I wouldn't get rid of your Titan either. They burn fuel put our very reliable. All my domestic trucks have had issues but that is another thread...

Back