2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Anyone do well on salmon fishing the 5-10 mile offshore spots? I have a smaller vessel and can’t go out to the rats nose.

seems everyone always heads out 20+ miles.

My son and I are out off Beal on the surf line. Pretty quiet this morning . We just picked up one in the teens and had one straighten out the hook:) skinny g. On the bottom.

Slow bite this morning at swale. Lots of bait and marking fish. Caught lots of small chinkook on a variety of spoons, coho killers and small spoons. Bait was also working but we did best on hoochies. Caught one nice fish in the low 20# range on a blue/pink needlefish hoochie at 50’ behind a purple onion flasher!

I posted the pics earlier at the end of June from our trip with the family. Finally got the video edited for Day 2 which had the most action.

Ucluelet, British Columbia fishing Barkley Sound with the Kids for Coho and Chinook salmon while surrounded by Humpback Whales and Huge schools of Bait. Whatever this day lacked in fish size it made up in crazy constant action and double headers. Not to mention a fabulous show from some of the largest mammals on earth, the humpback whale. For some reason the Sound was just a 100 percent changed from the prior day, so much life and the coho had moved in probably by the thousands. They were even taking spoons that were skipping along the surface. We even caught a couple nice Chinook after weeding through a lot of coho and undersized chinooks. We limitted on Coho early on and then we dropped the gear deeper to try for Chinook. It was hard to get awar from the coho though. I even put a camera down but the water was a beautiful color on the surface but had quite limitted visibility below unfortunately. I'll keep trying and hope we get some clear water for some great footage later on this summer. I can't tell you how much fun it is seeing the kids enjoy a day of fishing. I love watching them get excited to pull in a salmon. This was the first time Sierra really wanted to get on the rod and pull in some fish. Cali really surprised me getting to the rods, releasing off the rigger and getting the rod out of the holder. She's getting quite skilled quick. I hope they keep coming out with me for a long time and get more and more into it. Well I know this was a very long video, but I love every minute and in the end this is a piece of my life and memories for years to come. Thanks for coming along with our family on this spectacular day of fishing!

Decided to try around robbers pass and up Flemming this morning. Caught one dogfish and that was it. We got to the top of Flemming and decided to make the run over to Austin/Cree. Put the gear down and marked a big ball of bait and some feeding salmon. We rounded the outer rock between Austin and headed to Cree when the anchovy at 60’ went off. Beautiful 22# ish fish. Looked around and seen another boat also hooked up. The day progressed well we ended up releasing 7 fish between 14-22lbs we would assume. Beautiful fish and a great day on the water. Fish were caught between 60-70’. On anchovies and 4” spoons! We were in the 26’ sea ray flying a west coast peelers flag if anyone seen us!

Any coho showing up offshore? Hoping to catch a few on buzz bombs while on anchor for hali.
was out at 7 mile a couple of days ago. There were a lot of coho but the odd thing about them was that they were consistently small all thru the day.

Sure is slow for this time of year. We fished Friday and Saturday morning, and Saturday evening. 1 - 17lb spring . Had a couple of good hits that didn’t stick. We where off Beal most of the time. Didn’t see a whole bunch of fish coming in. It was more of a family weekend anyways, so it didn’t bother us the fishing was slow. :) Had a great time with family.

Sure is slow for this time of year. We fished Friday and Saturday morning, and Saturday evening. 1 - 17lb spring . Had a couple of good hits that didn’t stick. We where off Beal most of the time. Didn’t see a whole bunch of fish coming in. It was more of a family weekend anyways, so it didn’t bother us the fishing was slow. :) Had a great time with family.
Fish have shown up today 2 coho and 5 springs all at Beale on tiny spoons all silver actually got a small Tom Mack from my trout box and had 5 hits on it. Small is better

Spent yesterday morning at Cree. A few shakers and one 7 lb spring for our efforts.
Around 10 boats out saw two other fish netted. There may have been more but the boats were spread out pretty good so it’s not always easy to tell.
Heading offshore this morning.

Went to Bamfield from the 23-27 with a couple a friends.
Day 1:
It was super rough so we stayed inside and spent all day at Cree. Crossing over to the broken group was a bit of a pounding, offshore would have been very uncomfortable. 5am-1pm and got our 6 chinooks (all between 15-20lb). It never seemed to turn on or off - a bite every hour/1.5 hours. Our landing ratio was oddly good - typically we go about 60-70%, but we didn't lose a single fish! super lucky!

Day 2:
Offshore! Hit a hali hole on the way out and got our limit in short order, while humpbacks were thrashing all around us feeding on the abundance of krill. Tried going for some sablefish but only managed one. Lots of sole around too. After bottomfishing we jetted to LaParouse where we managed 4 chinooks. The biggest one came while I was dropping the line. While descending, I typically keep the rod in one hand, while the other handles the rigger. On the way down, the pin aggressively pops, and the line goes slack! I immediately start reeling and it was game on! After about a 5 min fight we land our biggest chinook of the trip, approx 22lbs.

Day 3:
The day before was so productive that we went again. Seas were calmer. The wind was essentially 0 knt but the swells from the previous week still had some residual potential energy - i think they were about 1.3m or so.
Same deal, got our chicken hali's, and headed for lappy. Got our chinook limits for the trip, but it was pretty slow. Took about 4 hours or so to get a handful of bites. Since we still had a little time left in the day, we were keen to catch some seabass, but agreed that if we saw schooling coho on the way in we'd stop and try for them. Sure enough, at about 5 mile, we see a few jumping and slow the boat right down to an idle. A small flock of gulls were feeding on bait and upon closer inspection the coho were swarming. Literally finning, jumping and siwrling all around the same area the birds were feeding.. So we dropped the lines and all hell broke loose. While 2 people were trolling for them, I wanted to try something different, so I grabbed my spinning reels with 15lb test, and started casting buzz bombs in front of the boat and began jigging/retrieving. Needless to say, you could have thrown anything in the water and those rats would have smashed it.. But something about fighting a coho in the sea with light gear was SO fun! We got our limit in about 45 mins. It would have been quicker but we had to circle back to find the schools every so often. When we did, they lit up the sounder. When we were on them, it was one, two, triple headers almost immediately. Too fun!

We came back to the dock exhausted and ready to go home. But what a trip!!
22lb.png The pic is of the 22lber.

Heading over tomorrow morning till Monday, our group is staying in smugglers , Brads log house to right of seabeam lodge, will try to keep it down
hope to anchor up off shore weather permitting and target a hali or 2,see yas out there!
Love Bamfield area

Fishing has been slow on the inside. Overall not too many fish being caught. There was a little bump 3 or 4 days ago but tough slugging for the past couple days. 4-5 hours in between Chinook bites.

Back