300 OB/9.9 on 22' DE, ADVICE AUTO PILOT TROLLING/DEPTH SOUNDER

Just put a pod on my 22' double eagle and want to be able to troll with an auto pilot system, I also need a depth sounder system. looking for thoughts on this

I like the Lowrance/Simrad Autopilot. Putting it in and out of autopilot is easy and you can have two screens, one at the helm and one back by your rods allowing you to steer and turn right from the depth sounder. Lowrance HDS systems are all backward compatible so you can buy one new screen and one used so it doesn't break the bank, or two used. You can plan out routes super easy, using what they call dock to dock Autorouting.

I like the Lowrance/Simrad Autopilot. Putting it in and out of autopilot is easy and you can have two screens, one at the helm and one back by your rods allowing you to steer and turn right from the depth sounder. Lowrance HDS systems are all backward compatible so you can buy one new screen and one used so it doesn't break the bank, or two used. You can plan out routes super easy, using what they call dock to dock Autorouting.
thanks, what motor is on autopilot the kicker or main?

Second the lowrance or simrad pilot on the main with tiebar to the kicker. Also the bluetooth remote is a must have id say.
We have a second screen I am planning to swap back and forth from the helm to the stern. What do you think, will it be almost as good as the remote? I’ve been wanting to get to the remote but regular boat maintenance and the trailer upgrade killed the budget!

20190317_100147_resized(1).jpg 20190317_100228_resized(1).jpg I have a Raymarine ev-150. Hydraulic pump moves the main which is tied to the kicker. Control station/screen at both main helm and second helm on deck. I would go with a pilot that has separate controls from your chart plotter personally.

I love my Auto, he's much more attentive at steering the boat than me, especially in the wind!

We have a second screen I am planning to swap back and forth from the helm to the stern. What do you think, will it be almost as good as the remote? I’ve been wanting to get to the remote but regular boat maintenance and the trailer upgrade killed the budget!
Will work but not like the remote, i just clip it to my belt and can control it from anywhere. Honestly cant imagine not having it, being able to hold a rod in one hand while adjusting course in the other is pretty awesome.

Lowrance allows you to have three windows sounder, chart and autopilot all up on one screen. Very tight with a 7 but nice with a 9 or 12. It makes adding a second "station" almost affordable if you buy used. I would love @Unreel remote or @ryanb sick helm and second helm setup but my bring on another thousand got a new trailer this year so only so much you can do. Either way autopilots great, especially if you can control it from the near the down riggers!

Going fishing this week on a little double eagle where I'll likely be the autopilot, nice to get back to fishing that is easy!

View attachment 55155 View attachment 55156 I have a Raymarine ev-150. Hydraulic pump moves the main which is tied to the kicker. Control station/screen at both main helm and second helm on deck. I would go with a pilot that has separate controls from your chart plotter personally.

I love my Auto, he's much more attentive at steering the boat than me, especially in the wind!

Sorry for derail but, what was total cost installed? And, what about battery usage. On a kicker trolling with autopilot on does it affect battery performance? Does it ever kill it? Is there a FOB? Instead of spending $2500 on installing Intellisteer it sounds like autopilot is a better option.

Sorry for derail but, what was total cost installed? And, what about battery usage. On a kicker trolling with autopilot on does it affect battery performance? Does it ever kill it? Is there a FOB? Instead of spending $2500 on installing Intellisteer it sounds like autopilot is a better option.

I got a very good deal on the pilot, $1500. The second station screen was around $650. I had to buy 2 6 foot hydraulic hoses to tee the pump in to the helm, I think these were around 150 for both. Labour was free as I did the install myself, pretty straight forward stuff.
Power consumption is much related to sea state and wind and how active the pilot needs to be with steering. In most moderate conditions the kicker keeps the battery topped even with the pilot steering. In heavy wind and waves where the pilot is moving the motors almost continuously there is a net drain of battery with only the kicker running. I've never come close to draining a battery though, even trolling all day on the kicker in wind and waves.

I think they make a fob, not sure. Fob functions are limited though, the 2nd screen gives you all the more advanced options.

I also have the Outboard Pilot. It is hooked in my helm which controls a single ram Seastar , which has twin outboards and a kicker all tied in.

It works great for me and I highly recommend it, kicker seems to provide enough battery power that I’ve never noticed an issue with it running it down.

I have front and rear displays, do not have a remote fob. I rarely use the screens to control the autopilot, only time would I would is to run a preset course.

So what I am getting at, and it hasn’t been talked about so far, is there is a button to mount on the dash which activates/deactivates heading hold. So rather than using the touchscreen, you point the boat the way you want to go, and simply push the bottom. The autopilot activates immediately, without changing what’s on your plotters screen, and it holds that heading. If I want to turn, simply push button, which releases control, turn boat in direction I want to go, then push button again. New heading will be held, simple and quick.

I added a second button to the rear steering station so that when trolling on auto and I pick up a fish, I simply push button to take off autopilot, crank steering wheel to point boat where I want to go (away from other boats) then hit button and new heading is held, while I am holding the rod and takIng care of business.

I installed everything myself, very straightforward, won’t have a boat without it now that I know what I would be missing.

Autopilot is way better than just a remote steer. And like i mentioned with the remote you can adjust course with it almost like steering with a remote system. Ive never had issues running my pilot and draining batteries and mine works alot in rough conditions. My lowrance with remote was under $2k. But i dont know if its just me but my pump i find is very noisy when its working hard, i would almost go with a bigger pump to have a quieter system. Anyone else notice the lowrance pump is loud?

where did you fellas buy your set up? I think i'll do the same lorance with the auto pilot and remote setup but I was thinking instead of using a bar between the 2 motors I might put a 3 way valve from the main motor lines to a hydraulic ram at the kicker so I can just work the kicker while trolling.
I called one local shop and advanced marine in Campbell river but they seem to have no interest in selling me a system, in fact they removed the motor and control system from another boat and ive installed everything except there are 2 identical plugs that go into the screen that tells you your rpms.temps etc.. one plug has a green dot but they said they don't even have time to ask the tech who removed it which plug goes where when I sent them a photo, literally 2 min out of his day, anyway if you guys know of any good mercury dealers who might know the older verado systems let me know would ya cheers.

It you have a rear helm you don’t need the fob.

It you have a rear helm you don’t need the fob.
Oh you still need the remote lol. I have a rear helm as well and it is nice to use when you want to manual steer but the remote is next level. Did i mention get the remote? :D

is the remote and auto pilot all by lorance, trying to get a boat shop to sell me set up is like pulling teeth so im going to order all my gear online, just wondering if Its best to get all components from lorance?

Back