Spoons and Swivels

Crali2014

Crew Member
Trying to end a debate I had with a buddy over wether to attach a spoon right to a bead chain swivel with quick clip or tie it with either a leader 48”-72” or main line. Fishing dummy flashers so no flasher in play.

Personally ive tried both.... i seem to get more hookups with swivel right at the spoon.
However i get that it affects the action of the spoon

curious on others thoughts

I'm looking at a brand new 5" Tomic spoon in the original packaging . They include a tiny swivel at the head of the spoon and a second between the tail and the hook. So if one was to use a standard flasher and not modify anything using a 6' leader they could have up to 4 swivels in the rig So many swivels in that scenario the thing would be all confused, and crappy swivels at that.

I'm going to run this with dummy flashers, chop the top swivel off and tie a 6' 40lb leader to a bead chain to coastlock. I like the swivel to the hook but not this tiny one. See how it goes.

I'm looking at a brand new 5" Tomic spoon in the original packaging . They include a tiny swivel at the head of the spoon and a second between the tail and the hook. So if one was to use a standard flasher and not modify anything using a 6' leader they could have up to 4 swivels in the rig So many swivels in that scenario the thing would be all confused, and crappy swivels at that.

I'm going to run this with dummy flashers, chop the top swivel off and tie a 6' 40lb leader to a bead chain to coastlock. I like the swivel to the hook but not this tiny one. See how it goes.
Yea i see your point how many swivels is enough? Lol

Ive always run dummy flashers but this goes back to my uncle and grandpa who both were commercial trollers.

Yea i see your point how many swivels is enough? Lol

Ive always run dummy flashers but this goes back to my uncle and grandpa who both were commercial trollers.

I'm going to play around with different spoon to swivel ratios today, see how that goes. Those trollers forgot more than I will ever know so props to them for sure.

Bead chains are fine on spoons, but I save them for spinning bait rigs. A cheaper barrel swivel clipped to a good ball bearing swivel on the end of the main line works. I like the Tomic and other commercial spoon swivel for the line, but don't think the one on the hook is needed. There is a guy on Ifish who swears by hanging his hook back from the lure a few inches. It ends up catching the fish outside the mouth to avoid swallowing injuries. The fish hits the lure and then the hook grabs him by the outside lip or face.

Bead chains are fine on spoons, but I save them for spinning bait rigs. A cheaper barrel swivel clipped to a good ball bearing swivel on the end of the main line works. I like the Tomic and other commercial spoon swivel for the line, but don't think the one on the hook is needed. There is a guy on Ifish who swears by hanging his hook back from the lure a few inches. It ends up catching the fish outside the mouth to avoid swallowing injuries. The fish hits the lure and then the hook grabs him by the outside lip or face.
thanks tuber... but question.... do you direct tie on the spoon with a leader is the swivel on a split ring at nose of spoon?

Back