Fish on board without license holder

Bugs

I frequently pick my wife and kids up from the beach close to where I am fishing to save them a longer run in an open boat from the launch. Then I drop them off and head home. If I have their filled out licenses with me is it legal for me to have their 1 salmon or ling cod with me in the cooler on board? I have been making sure that I have a picture of them with the fish on my phone from that day as insurance. I can see it would look bad if I got checked and was by myself with three lingcod, but surely the photo and the filled out licenses in hand would do the trick?

I frequently pick my wife and kids up from the beach close to where I am fishing to save them a longer run in an open boat from the launch. Then I drop them off and head home. If I have their filled out licenses with me is it legal for me to have their 1 salmon or ling cod with me in the cooler on board? I have been making sure that I have a picture of them with the fish on my phone from that day as insurance. I can see it would look bad if I got checked and was by myself with three lingcod, but surely the photo and the filled out licenses in hand would do the trick?
Legally you are toast -if the officer pushed it

Thanks spring fever , is that because the fish must be in possession of the fisher at all times? I am not sure how the situation I describe differs from (for example) fish being in the cooler at a fishing lodge while the guests who caught them are out golfing. Or for that matter being in the boat at the dock while someone runs up to use the washroom. Obviously one could take this to ridiculous extremes!

Thanks spring fever , is that because the fish must be in possession of the fisher at all times? I am not sure how the situation I describe differs from (for example) fish being in the cooler at a fishing lodge while the guests who caught them are out golfing. Or for that matter being in the boat at the dock while someone runs up to use the washroom. Obviously one could take this to ridiculous extremes!
Yeah -that's how I read it. I guided all last summer at a marina in Tahsis and the number of bullsh@t stories I heard around the beer table at night on how to circumvent the regs would curl your hair. The fish cops aren't stupid and I'm sure they have heard everything. Most are reasonable guys-some are not-I don't want to be put into the position of relying on their largesse!

Just dug this fishery notice up.. So it looks like you could have the other person's fish provided you had a letter. But not if it exceeded your individual possession limit. So, I could have my lingcod and my wife's lingcod with a note from her... but if I had my daughter's lingcod as well I would be over my individual possession limit. I guess I am humping a cooler up the beach and into the trunk of the Honda Civic from now on.

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=159649&ID=all

You'll always have your day in court and the Judges are far more understanding , so keep your proof and irregardless of the DFOs officers charges your honesty and evidence in court will prevail. A time and date laps picture or video is great evidence. I'm not to concerned with a officers side of the story rather my ability to tell my side. Be honest and respectful and it'll be fine. Tight lines ! (NOTE ; Can't recall but if the regs say only the individual catching can transport well , little the pic and video will be so make sure you know the regs inside and out lol )

Last edited:
Just dug this fishery notice up.. So it looks like you could have the other person's fish provided you had a letter. But not if it exceeded your individual possession limit. So, I could have my lingcod and my wife's lingcod with a note from her... but if I had my daughter's lingcod as well I would be over my individual possession limit. I guess I am humping a cooler up the beach and into the trunk of the Honda Civic from now on.

https://notices.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=159649&ID=all

I have been stopped at the ferry in Haida Gwaii and had my wifes limit of fish om me as well as mine. I made sure to have the written letter and it was fine. In fact its happened 2x.

You cannot be over your Possession limit.. Common sense does come into it but bottom line is you cant possess more than your possession limit. The old "letter from the other licencee" loophole was unfortunately abused too much and has been tightened up.

Straight from DFO website:

To transport another person's sport caught fish, you must carry a letter from
that person with their signature and Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence number,
stating you are authorized to transport the fish.

The letter must state:
- The fisher's name
- Complete address and telephone number
- Fishing licence number
- When and where the fish were caught
- The number, species and size of fish
- Name and address of recipient
- Estimated date of arrival
- Reason for transport

I’ve created a template letter and leave copies in my boat so if I ever have to transport someone else’s fish, they quickly fill in the letter and sign. Been stopped before and it worked well.

The letter must state:
- The fisher's name
- Fishing licence number
- Reason for transport

I’ve created a template letter and leave copies in my boat so if I ever have to transport someone else’s fish, they quickly fill in the letter and sign. Been stopped before and it worked well.
Cheers. I’m going to do the same

The letter must state:
- The fisher's name
- Fishing licence number
- Reason for transport

Bottom Line is that you cannot possess more than YOUR Possession Limit, regardless of who caught the fish or what letters you have.

CRGreg

T
What if someone gifted you fish and your going from their house to yours.

That is a different scenario . Fish that have been to your ordinary residence don’t count as “possession limit”
I could theoretically have 10 Chinook in my freezer at home , load them in the truck and take them to Victoria and I’m not in Violation .

So if you go fishing at a friends say on the island and they send you home with their catch and it puts you over your possession limit it’s all good?

do they have to be easily identifiable or can they be packages how ever since they have already been to the ordinary residence?

how should I mark Thoes fish? With address and phone number?

Back