80 CM SPRING WEIGHT-$1000 REWARD- FOR MYSTICAL 20LB SPRINGS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasin' Dreams

Seems like a lot of the forum threads lately have this topic coming up quite a bit so thought I would toss this idea out there for y'all :)

Here's my take on it: I've been involved with hatcheries, broodstocking, fish tagging, measuring, sample collecting etc for a long time. Both for Salmon and Steelhead. And other that I've been weighing, keeping track of measurements/weights of the Salmon I've caught myself over the years...

Saying that, I have never in all the years come across any Salmon that measured around 80 cm's long come even close to being 20 lbs. So when I keep reading all these posts on the forum of these mystical 20 lb 80cm fish it makes my spidey senses go a bit crazy lol. To me either people are guesstimating cause they don't really know, or they are using some very inaccurate scales. I thought it might be the ****** spring coil springs that are common in the tackle stores that might be off so we did a weight comparison with my calibrated commercial digital fish scale compared to a Rapala coil spring scale the other day and the spring scale was off by 3 lbs on a 13 lb (80cm) fish. Personally I've never seen a Spring go over 15 lbs with that length of Spring range. And that would be a completely saggy assed fat, obese Spring for that length. Lot's of 12 to 14 lb Springs in the 80 cm range is the average from my observations. Can you imagine stacking another 7 bricks of butter around a 13# 80 cm Spring. I have a hard time believing it could even swim properly. It would be shaped like a super over inflated football :) And recently at a fish cleaning table the other day we weighed ours and other fishermen's slot sized Springs that were all close to 80 cm's... there wasn't a single one over 14.3 lbs. Most were 12 to 13 and a half. The 14.3 was a fat *******. Funny though some of those fishermen swore their fish were 17 to 20 lbs :)

So I just thought I'd throw this out there to put a final rest to whether or not there are these mystical 20# 80cm Spring Salmon creatures swimming around in our waters :) :

For the duration of this DFO 80 cm slot size regulation in 2020 I am offering up a $500 REWARD for EVERY 20 lb or heavier, 80 cm long or shorter Spring Salmon Caught here in our BC Coastal waters. Yes you read that right! Every single one!!! And I will eat my words if you catch one of these amazing sea monsters!

Here are the conditions I put forth:

**As soon as you think you have a 20 lb or heavier 80 cm Spring Salmon you have to message me through the forum and leave me your contact information or call me if you already have my contact info and I will contact you right away to come weigh the fish with a calibrated digital commercial scale (I have one and we can calibrate it together before the fish weigh). We will have a third party witness the weigh in. After the weigh in the fish will then be gutted/filleted to ensure there are no hidden weights in the fish.

**If someone says they have a 20 lb or heavier 80 cm Spring Salmon then I will travel to one of these locations (whichever is closest to the mystical creature to be weighed) to weigh the fish (we will document it with pictures etc..) : Victoria marina, Nanaimo Marina, Campbell River Marina, Gibsons Marina, or Vancouver Marina. If it proves not to be a 20 lb or heavier 80 cm or shorter Spring Salmon then the other party whom said it was will agree to pay my fuel costs for traveling to the weigh in location plus a $250 donation to a charity of my choice that is associated with fish and wildlife in BC.

CONTEST ENDS AUG 31 8PM NO CALLS TO WEIGH FISH OR ENTER FISH AFTER THAT TIME.

**Edited for spelling

:D :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of the forum threads lately have this topic coming up quite a bit so thought I would toss this idea out there for y'all :)

Here's my take on it: I've been involved with hatcheries, broodstocking, fish tagging, measuring, sample collecting etc for a long time. Both for Salmon and Steelhead. And other that I've been weighing, keeping track of measurements/weights of the Salmon I've caught myself over the years...

Saying that, I have never in all the years come across any Salmon that measured around 80 cm's long come even close to being 20 lbs. So when I keep reading all these posts on the forum of these mystical 20 lb 80cm fish it makes my spidey senses go a bit crazy lol. To me either people are guesstimating cause they don't really know, or they are using some very inaccurate scales. I thought it might be the ****** spring coil springs that are common in the tackle stores that might be off so we did a weight comparison with my calibrated commercial digital fish scale compared to a Rapala coil spring scale the other day and the spring scale was off by 3 lbs on a 13 lb (80cm) fish. Personally I've never seen a Spring go over 15 lbs with that length of Spring range. And that would be a completely saggy assed fat, obese Spring for that length. Lot's of 12 to 14 lb Springs in the 80 cm range is the average from my observations. Can you imagine stacking another 7 bricks of butter around a 13# 80 cm Spring. I have a hard time believing it could even swim properly. It would be shaped like a super over inflated football :) And recently at a fish cleaning table the other day we weighed ours and other fishermen's slot sized Springs that were all close to 80 cm's... there wasn't a single one over 14.3 lbs. Most were 12 to 13 and a half. The 14.3 was a fat *******. Funny though some of those fishermen swore their fish were 17 to 20 lbs :)

So I just thought I'd throw this out there to put a final rest to whether or not there are these mystical 20# 80cm Spring Salmon creatures swimming around in our waters :) :

I am offering up a $500 REWARD for EVERY 20 lb or heavier, 80 cm long or shorter Spring Salmon Caught here in our BC Coastal waters. Yes you read that right! Every single one!!! And I will eat my words if you catch one of these amazing sea monsters!

Here are the conditions I put forth:

**As soon as you think you have a 20 lb or heavier 80 cm Spring Salmon you have to call me to come weigh the fish with a calibrated digital commercial scale (I have one and we can calibrate it together before the fish weigh). We will have a third party witness the weigh in. After the weigh in the fish will then be gutted/filleted to ensure there are no hidden weights in the fish.

**If someone says they have a 20 lb or heavier 80 cm Spring Salmon then I will travel to one of these locations (whichever is closest to the mystical creature to be weighed) to weigh the fish (we will document it with pictures etc..) : Victoria marina, Nanaimo Marina, Campbell River Marina, Gibsons Marina, or Vancouver Marina. If it proves not to be a 20 lb or heavier 80 cm or shorter Spring Salmon then the other party whom said it was will agree to pay my fuel costs for traveling to the weigh in location plus a $250 donation to a charity of my choice that is associated with fish and wildlife in BC.

**Edited for spelling

:D :rolleyes: :D
So what you’re really saying is to anyone who posts on social media that they tubbed a 20 pound spring at or under 80 cm in length, they are full of it! Do you care to share an example of such a claim?

Last season I had a couple 80cm that were in the high teens, biggest was 17lbs and it wasn't insanely thick, so I could see a football 80 get to around 20.

We measured a 17 pounder last year that
Made the slot. We have 80cm marked on our cooler so even when things were opened to any size we measured to see if they would of made it or not.

just under 80cm today went 17.5lb on digital scales whitey pea head...

Anybody can say they caught a 20lb 80 cm fish. ( like quite a few folks have said they have already-but haven't tried to collect the reward by the rules of the reward :rolleyes: ) That's why the rules of this reward are very simple to read, understand and abide by. Hence why I have gotten no takers with legitimate 20# 80 cm fish. Funny thing is though I've been around a lot of 80cm and under fish this season since the slot came in and haven't seen one over 15 yet. Even weighing several now on a calibrated scale which fishermen thought were 17-20 on their scales, or by their guestimates. Nope, none. Not really even close yet. Here's to hoping we find one! :) By the way, bait or lead or anything else in a fishes throat doesn't count to the fish weight.. This is why fish are gutted after weighing.

My son caught a 19 something bleed my scale isn’t a commercial scale but a couple 15 lbs balls all weighed the same on it. They are out there. I measured that fish at the side of the boat and when we brought it on board I thought I messed up as the fish looked big all the sudden, but it was just a big ol foot ball. Everyone is measuring from the v in the tail right? Unfortunately it was pre derby. We have pretty much always scaled most of our fish over the years as the wife and kid liked to so have a fairly good eye for it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back