Truck Size To Tow A 28 Footer

Sharphooks

I’ve hesitated to step up for a bigger boat partly due to the continual drum beat of diminishing fishing opportunities but also there’s the towing dilemmas: do you get rid of a perfectly good tow rig because you want a bigger boat?

So I’m looking at the boat of my dreams. It’s 28 feet and weighs in (with trailer) at just under 14,000 lbs

No way will my 1/2 ton tow that boat safely .

I spent the morning looking at one ton rigs.....I never particularly wanted a diesel but I’m guessing at this point, a diesel makes sense and a one ton is probably the best tool for the job

But the question is: is there a 3/4 TON out there one could safely tow a boat of that size?

I know nothing about diesels and which trucks out there I should be focusing on to tow a boat of that size.

Thanks for any help out there from the truck guys who tow the bigger boats

Your dilemma is the exact reason I have an 18.6 DE and a done to the nuts Tacoma. Not that I would/could not get that 21 ft welded down the street but I could not part with my do anything for me truck. (Only rig that drives into moose camp, with a camp.)

The new 3/4 and 1 tons seam to be rated to tow more than anything I would want to tow. But there are a ton of triple axle boat trailers going north island right now. Have a buddy with an older 1 ton dodge, and another with an F450 my god they pull campers and huge boats. But never pass a gas station.

Good luck with the dilemma, lots of info coming your way I say. Sorry I cant help.

HM

Peraonally 14,000lbs is a little scary even with a 1 ton and I would not be doing long trips. The maintenance on the triple axle would be costly as well. But in saying that, my experience is only towing about 9000lbs

The 2020 gm 3/4 and 1 ton trucks will both tow 14k with a diesel. Pretty sure the fords will as well. To use the full towing capability of the 1 tons, a CDL is required. They are beasts.of course, they also run 55-80k USD!

The trucks will do it easily. It’s whether you are comfortable doing it.

one ton for sure, you can pick up a older ford v10 f350 or f450 for reasonable cost,

Nothing less than a 1 ton diesel with airbags, 14k rated hitch, sway bars, good tires and up to snuff trailer brakes is my experience. Loading a truck bed with iced coolers and whatever else plus buddies adds up pretty quick. Diesel torque will get you there but expect to spend $$$ to maintain properly. Buy a well maintained older unit that meets your requirements, keep it in good running order and you will at least sleep at night.

I just picked up an 18 F250 diesel. I’m not 100 percent sure but I think it’ll legally tow 14,700 lbs. If you have a triple axle trailer that has brakes that work correctly and maybe some air bags in the rear of the truck I’m sure it’d be fine with a one ton.

I would never tow anything that heavy with a gasser.
Going down the road safely also includes deceleration and stopping.
My last 2 trucks have had exhaust brakes,which work well to hold a heavier load under control.
Something that heavy needs a one ton and in my book, a duality one ton.
Stability is another thing included in safely towing anything.
A one ton fat butt is a lot more stable than a SRW.
I am fortunate to also have had a CDL for 44 years and cringe when I see some of the loads silly buggers haul with their 1/2 tons. Sure they get moving,but not in control and no stopping power.
Silly morons!
I came down Jack butt 3 years ago with my 97 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel towing a 7500 lb travel trailer with a full bull moose in the bed using the aftermarket exhaust brake which held the speed at just under 80 kph all the way down without using the brakes .
That option isn’t there with a gasser pickup.
The new 3/4 ton diesel pickups can be optioned nicely with exhaust brake,electronic transmission control,
Air bags and sway control etc etc. and be safe to tow moderately heavy trailers safely.
But there’s nothing like a newer fat butt diesel duallie all the towing option available.
They certainly make good tow rigs if you can afford them.
I make do with my new 2018 Ram 2500,diesel,factory exhaust brake ,electronic transmission control in towing mode, air bags and traction control.
I don’t tow more than 8000 lbs so don’t need a one ton.

Just curious, whats the process for towing the wide boats with 9, 10 and 11 foot beams?

Wideload signs, flags and lights if at night. $15 a trip permit or $360 a year for an oversize permit up to 11ft 6 inches wide.

And don’t forget to up the gvw at your icbc office. that will cost you quite a bit of cash.

The guy selling the 28 footer is also offering his one ton dually as a potential package deal. Yes, I’m sure a one ton dually covers the bases for towing a boat that big but what the heck do you do with a truck like that the rest of the year?

I suppose the other option is leave the boat in the water and instead of towing from Victoria to Hardy, just do the all-water route and put the hours on the outboards (and burn one ton of gas in the trade-off)

The guy selling the 28 footer is also offering his one ton dually as a potential package deal. Yes, I’m sure a one ton dually covers the bases for towing a boat that big but what the heck do you do with a truck like that the rest of the year?

I suppose the other option is leave the boat in the water and instead of towing from Victoria to Hardy, just do the all-water route and put the hours on the outboards (and burn one ton of gas in the trade-off)
The morage makes a lot of sense especially if it has outboards. Really ONLY worrying about bottom paint then for maintenance, and you can always store on your trailer for the winter.

Or hire a guide in hardy for that yearly trip IMO ive balanced what it would cost me to tow my boat up there and back fuel ,for the run etc id better off putting in another 1000 bucks and go on a chartered trip... where they clean my fish for a change and process it dont have to clean the boat thats a whole lot of added expense the way fishing is going... but good luck on the venture if you do

You can always save your money and hire a professional hauling service. If you think it's worthwhile to have a suitable tow rig and trailer for a couple of trips a year make sure you follow the good advice provided here previously: 350 or 3500 diesel, dually with a class 5 hitch, preferably with a factory tow package. Make sure your trailer and tires have a rated capacity in excess of the boat weight. Many trailers out there are marginal or inadequate. Also keep in mind height and width (permits) when towing. You will be limited in the roads you travel and in finding suitable tides and launch ramps for a longer trailer and bigger boat. You will need help launching and retrieving your boat. Parking your rig is another issue. Maintenance costs are higher. I've gone the big boat route and am happily back to a 17 footer. Easy in all respects and I go anywhere, almost anytime, with only a modest investment.

My 3/4 tonn second gem dodge would pull that no problem airbags in the back just pulled a friends 12,000lb 35foot travel trailer the other day

Should be fine with any modern 2500 or 3500 diesel

pick a spot every year or stick to spot. use a boat hauler or rent a one tonne with an exhaust brake. cheap and easy.

Back