2020 Haida Gwaii Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
You might say the writing is on the wall.
DFO, First Nations and the overall non fishing public sentiment all seem to be on the same side.
It's a shame cause that lodge in particular is the most conservation and health conscious of any guiding services in and around V.I. of any, bare none!

Probably all the locals flying in and out for any number of things such as doctors appointments on the mainland, visiting friends or family or whatever....definitely wasn't from the lodges.

yea that brings up the point of if you let everyone leave and come back how is that any different then having visitors from thoes same communities.

The whole point of shutting down borders is if it’s a two way street.

these 1 way
Closures where
You can’t come to my community but I can go to yours seem baseless.

As soon as I saw the video of them harassing the guests at the airport I knew that they would claim someone on the island caught it. I hope they do a proper investigation and trace where it came from. My guess is that it’s probably ******** that anyone there even has it. If they are so short on food they should ask the band at papermill dam for some. They probably have a few extra

Which lodge are you referring to? The lodge in the video is QCL and the other lodge open in Haida Gwaii is West Coast Fishing Club. Neither are near V.I. and if you are referring to QCL as the most conservation and health conscious lodge then I might guess you haven't visited many other lodges. There are LOT more lodges, both in Haida Gwaii and elsewhere on the coast, that do LOT more for salmon conservation, etc. QCL has also had more than their fair share of documented fisheries violations and 'undocumented' as well. That said, I do support their efforts to open their business in a way that minimizes impacts to the community and I don't agree with the way the Haida have dealt with this situation. Tough spot to be in.

You might say the writing is on the wall.
DFO, First Nations and the overall non fishing public sentiment all seem to be on the same side.
It's a shame cause that lodge in particular is the most conservation and health conscious of any guiding services in and around V.I. of any, bare none!

Which lodge are you referring to? The lodge in the video is QCL and the other lodge open in Haida Gwaii is West Coast Fishing Club. Neither are near V.I. and if you are referring to QCL as the most conservation and health conscious lodge then I might guess you haven't visited many other lodges. There are LOT more lodges, both in Haida Gwaii and elsewhere on the coast, that do LOT more for salmon conservation, etc. QCL has also had more than their fair share of documented fisheries violations and 'undocumented' as well. That said, I do support their efforts to open their business in a way that minimizes impacts to the community and I don't agree with the way the Haida have dealt with this situation. Tough spot to be in.
I am referring to Queen Charlotte Lodge and I have first hand knowledge of their approach to conservation.
And you are right, I have not visited any of the other lodges in Haida Gwaii.

I think a few people are hoping to get reports from this thread. I for one love to hear from people who are fishing up there without guides or lodges. The politics of what is happening there should be on this
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...shing-lodges-reopen.82240/page-4#post-1004302

Yes, let this run for a bit as I get the frustration and the fact that hardly anyone is fishing up there this year, but it is time to move away from this topic here. Posts will automatically be removed if commenting further on this subject in this thread.

Last edited:
Heard Haida brought in a US protestor to help and they had covid...so Haida won't be bothering qcl for a few weeks....
who could have possibly predicted that the unmasked protestors yelling/harassing in an airport terminal would infect the very people theyre trying to protect?

I am whelmed.

Just got back from QCL, I couldn’t exaggerate on how much this Lodge has done to open and accommodate the safety of the HN and clients from the Covid 19 pandemic, but now for the fishing report. Weather was fairly cooperative , chinook plentiful and large many 36- 50lb salmon released, coho were for us an easy limit, halibut fishing was great, but you have to make that decision two under 90cm or one over 90cm under 126cm, in our boat two guys one of us took a 112cm and me one 85cm and one 80cm, we also got our limit of lingcod thanks to our guide (Demo) this guide knows his bottom fishing, cheers Demo if you read this, all in all a trip of a life time. We seen the Haida boats out there but no confrontations.

Just got back from QCL, I couldn’t exaggerate on how much this Lodge has done to open and accommodate the safety of the HN and clients from the Covid 19 pandemic, but now for the fishing report. Weather was fairly cooperative , chinook plentiful and large many 36- 50lb salmon released, coho were for us an easy limit, halibut fishing was great, but you have to make that decision two under 90cm or one over 90cm under 126cm, in our boat two guys one of us took a 112cm and me one 85cm and one 80cm, we also got our limit of lingcod thanks to our guide (Demo) this guide knows his bottom fishing, cheers Demo if you read this, all in all a trip of a life time. We seen the Haida boats out there but no confrontations.
Was at QCL , that place rocks. They have gone above and beyond to protect HN and guests with safety measures in place and flying out of Prince Rupert.
Was typical Haida Gwaii weather, fishing was awesome with all species available and some big ones for catch and release.
Was on one of their new welded aluminum boats with the legend himself (Demo) knows bottom fishing as well as a top notch salmon guide, thanks a trip of a lifetime

They are open but as usual the news only prints half the facts. There are four lodges open that I know of. The ones that are completely isolated and no chance of contact with the natives. I saw no confrontation with the natives

Just booked for the Driftwood next week it's been 28 years since I was out on that boat and took this pic.

DriftwoodQCL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back