On board boat battery charger

I also used the Noco. Goes on sale (just like everything at Canadian tire if you're patient) for around a hundred bucks. I toasted one bank and they replaced it for free.

For you guys using the Noco how do you mount it on the boat? I have a Campion 542 and space is not easy access around the batteries.

I mounted one upside down under the well in my sons 185 DE. I have the noco genius x2 in my boat,trouble free.

I mounted one upside down under the well in my sons 185 DE. I have the noco genius x2 in my boat,trouble free.
I just got one and am trying to figure out the mounting. On your son's boat and yours (when you had it) did it get screwed in directly to the fibreglass? When you said the underside of the well, I think you mean right above the bilge pump or drain plug right? Here are photos of possible mounting places.

Location pictures from top to bottom are:
1. Flat spot just below side of engine well on port side (I hope that is what Rayvon means by engine well!)
2. bottom of engine well above drain plug, bilge pump and gas tank
3. Side of engine well on port side
4. Vertical face of transom I assume on port side

All are very difficult to work in with respect to screwing in the unit. I thought it might be an idea to attach some type of board (wood or starboard maybe) to the boat and then screw the NOCO into the mounting board. What do people think of that idea. I worry about screwing directly into the boat because 1) it's hard to do and 2) I am worry that some of the holes will be coming out the exterior wall or part of the boat. Maybe someone with knowledge can comment about whether this is something I need to be concerned about. The screws provided with the NOCO are about 1" long.
Bottom next to port battery.jpg Centre under well.jpg Port side of well.jpg Vertical transom port battery.jpg

Yes, attach the charger to a suitably sized piece of plywood and glue with PL Premium construction adhesive to clean fiberglass. You will have to prop it in place until the glue sets.

Yes, attach the charger to a suitably sized piece of plywood and glue with PL Premium construction adhesive to clean fiberglass. You will have to prop it in place until the glue sets.
That sounds good. I will cut a piece of plywood to size and glue it on the horizontal face next to the battery, that way I don't have to worry about the adhesive giving out and the device falling on the battery, gas tank or bilge if mounted on a vertical face. Thanks.

Dave, I 've used the PL Premium on this type of attachment. It's never let go.

Sorry I didn't see your question.I just sikaflexed a piece of plywood on the underside of splash well if I remember right,PL will work fine too.

Any recommendations on proper prep? All those surfaces have a bit of grime and oil on it. I was going to clean with detergent then rinse and dry. Any special steps such as sanding etc?

Any recommendations on proper prep? All those surfaces have a bit of grime and oil on it. I was going to clean with detergent then rinse and dry. Any special steps such as sanding etc?
You can't go wrong with a good cleaning and roughing up the surfaces will only improve the bond.

Looking at adding one of these to the boat when it’s sitting. Do u guys leave the everything connected to the terminals? Battery is isolated with a switch.

Back