Scotty clips releasing

Bc2planker

Hi folks. New to fishing (last summer) and very new to trolling with downriggers. Hoping someone can tell me where I’m going wrong...

I am having a brutal time with my Scotty clips releasing the line. Either while descending, or shortly after getting set at depth. I’m an constantly having to reset, this means little actual fishing time! Here is my setup:

mono line on rods, one is a mooching reel, other is a spool
Scotty downriggers and Scotty clips with 36” lead
15lb balls
Clips have been used less than ten days

I’m clipping the clips a few feet up from the ball. And then about 20ft up from flasher on the mono line. When descending, I’m using a finger / thumb to provide just a bit of drag for the fishing line. When I get to depth, I let a bit more line out and set rod in the holder. Then crank it a bit to get rod flex and what I think is good tension.

Then without doubt the clip releases and I have to pull it all in and reset.

I’ve set the clips to the harder clamp. I’m setting the line deep in the clip, and still happens. The times it hasn’t sprung I’ve caught a few undersize chinook and they don’t even have the power to release the clips.... so I don’t know they are on until I reel in. Makes me think it’s too tight in that case!

I’m seeing other boats with the rods bent way more than mine, so it looks like people are running them higher tension... but I’m having zero luck keeping it rigged.

Anyone know what I’m doing wrong??

cheers.

Even a little bit of scent on the line or the clip will make the line slippery enough to come out of the clip. A cycle through the dishwasher will get rid of that problem. Its common that a small fish will not pop the clip. If you are keeping an eye on the rod tips, you will usually see them bounce a bit.
Most guys pull their gear regularly to check for small fish, weeds etc.
I’ve kinda found a sweet spot with the clip set on high tension & about 2/3 into the clip with the line.

The cure. Look closely at the upper clip.

0SaPDnr.jpg

I would assume he knows that if he went through the trouble of custom making a clip.

Yep. Could not get the release tight enough to my liking on the "Heavy" position so I went with the white nylon rod with a hole drilled through.

I have been known to drag a flasher with an extra large whole herring rigged behind the flasher (for Halibut), has a lot of drag. I do this in deep areas, false releases are a real time consuming nuisance.

If you are just pulling a plug or spoon the rod spacer may be too tight. Try one out and experiment. If you use fuel hose the hose will squish a little, try different lengths until you get it just right.

Last edited:
What type of material is that spacer?

White nylon rod with a hole drilled through. I make mine (have a machine shop in the back yard) but you can find similar items in a well stocked hardware store that has those metal sliding bins full of screws and special fasteners.

My setup, the dropper to the cannon ball is 5 feet long. The mono on the release clip to the rigger wire is 5 feet of 300 lb.

GI5wDrT.jpg

Details of the swivel I made to attach the release to the wire. Very strong, no tangles.

fbT1NKo.jpg

If you look at the pic the bottom clip is set to the "loose" position. If you pull back that center piece so it clicks into place, the tension is set higher.
http://scotty.com/product/no-1173/

• The “tension adjuster” doubles the holding power if needed

Totally is possible. You wouldn't believe how many people come on my boat that I thought were experienced fishermen and don't know that there is an extra firm setting on a scotty clip.

Contamination by scent is the most common cause of premature releases when using new clips.
Also, if you use small diameter line, especially small braid, you may have to twist the line then put the twists into the clip.
Stosh

1. Yes on the scent thing. I have to be very careful with scent on the boat for this very reason. I keep a fresh water bucket with a strong dose of non-ultra lemon joy dish soap on the boat, and a scrubber brush, and if a clip gets smooged, I clean it real well, and it usually cures it.
2. Always non-ultra lemon joy.
3. I've been following the last few years or more, and this Mako 22 guy has some friggin game. Some really creative solutions to a variety of old fishing maladies, thanks for sharing,

fb

Also put you main line as far to the back of the clip as it will go...ignore the black mark on the yellow pads.

What rods are you fishing? How are the rod holders positioned?

I fish 10’6” medium heavy rods tight on the clip and have no problem on the “tight” setting. What mainline are you using on your reels?

as for the little guys not popping the clip that does happen just have to pay attention to the rods if they’re tight even the small guys should make the tips “bounce”

Back