Rock slide in Fraser River, B.C., may hinder salmon passage

Big Bar landslide response information bulletin
July 17 2020

Ongoing onsite operations
Water levels at the Big Bar landslide site receded this week, allowing crews to reinstall the alternative fish passage systems.

Prime contractor Peter Kiewit Sons ULC, together with Whooshh Innovations, focused efforts on the installation of the higher capacity, six-lane Whooshh Passage Portal system. The additional tubes will provide passage for a broader range of salmon sizes, including sockeye. Crews mounted the main control system on a new pad set at a higher elevation, and reinstalled the associated mechanical and electrical components. Although some of the pumps sustained damage during the extreme high water last week, they have since been repaired or replaced.

The recent flood conditions also resulted in sediment accumulation in portions of the concrete fish ladder. Crews have removed most of the debris to ensure migrating salmon can swim up the ladder to reach the holding pool. From there fish will enter the Whooshh system or be transported by truck to French Bar Creek.

Crews also completed work on other areas affected by high water: they raised the pad elevation for the office trailers and repaired the access platform decking over the river.

Update on fish monitoring
Chinook have been observed in increasing numbers at the sonar station downstream of the Big Bar ferry. For the radio tagging program, between July 10 to 15, technicians had significant success tagging 131 chinook, bringing the total number to 182. As of July 15, 13 of the tagged fish had moved into the area below the slide, but none had moved past the slide site to date.

While no sockeye have been detected in the vicinity, lower Fraser River monitoring has detected Early Stuart sockeye starting their migration up river. In previous years, during lower water conditions, sockeye would take approximately 10 days to migrate from the Mission hydroacoustic facility to Big Bar (approximately 310 km by water).

Enhancement program update
Since restarting operations on July 12 following the peak of high water, the fish wheel crew captured 14 chinook. These fish were transferred to the French Bar Creek holding facility and DNA testing is underway. Based on their genetic identification and conservation status, targeted high-priority chinook will be transported to the Vanderhoof hatchery where they will serve as broodstock, providing eggs and milt for fertilization. The rest will be released back into the Fraser to continue their migration to their natal streams.

Facility upgrades are also ongoing for the Spruce City Wildlife Association and Quesnel River Research Centre as part of the Big Bar enhancement program.

Current images of work being done at the landslide site

2020-07-17-a.JPG

Installation has started on Phase 2 of the Whooshh Passage Portal. Top right: the scanner box component assesses each fish entering the pump. Centre: the accelerator directs the fish into the assigned tube.

2020-07-17-b.JPG

Reinstallation of the Whooshh Passage Portal components after water levels receded, including the steep pass and scanner skid.

2020-07-17-c.JPG

Water distribution system being assembled for egg incubation at the Quesnel River Research Centre.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pacific-smon-pacifique/big-bar-landslide-eboulement/index-eng.html

I would be interested in which chinook stocks they consider high priority. Also, am I reading this correctly ... 182 fish have been tagged but none have migrated pass the slide? If that is the case, that is bad news.

I would be interested in which chinook stocks they consider high priority. Also, am I reading this correctly ... 182 fish have been tagged but none have migrated pass the slide? If that is the case, that is bad news.

Looks like non of the tagged fish have made it past but they have counted some
Fish above the slide.

Looks like non of the tagged fish have made it past but they have counted some
Fish above the slide.
Some of these fish have been tagged for over a month ... it's not like they're building strength while holding downstream of the slide; they are losing energy reserves daily. DFO is caught between a rock and a hard place with the necessity of developing migration data but one wonders if the stress of tagging is causing even more mortality.

Next 10 days there will be thousands of sockeye there so they better figure out the **** fast but it’s looking disastrous again.

Dave, you brought up one of my concerns that I asked about weeks ago to DFO.

Tagging these fish is a lot more stressful than any brood collection.

I also questioned the accuracy if the sonar.

Most of the answers I got were questionable at best on their end.

There has been so much forgotten about these stocks in the last decade as nobody has been fishing for them except FN.

I think there is data that shows that some of the earlier tagged fish did make it past the slide.

I am still questioning the accuracy of the sonar, because anybody with any knowledge of these stocks knows how many are in the Fraser at this time.
Sonar last year first couple days of July counted a few hundred fish in the first day of operation...we are near the end of july.

Last edited:
natives slaying chinook right now in the canyons I hear right now.i hear their nets are filling pretty fast. Selling them for a 150 bucks a fish. I hear There are cutting fresh chinook bait daily for the sturg guides out of mission.

There should be thousands of exhausted sockeye and chinook in the Yale area now so its not surprising.

South of the old hwy bridge spuzzum to Yale.

Hear there slaughtering them. Heard there was no shortage of 20 pound fish.

Last edited:
Was thinking that myself. Wonder with the recent surge in water flows that the site was buried again - perhaps the fish ladder has been plugged up again? OR....the overspend on the project itself has screwed down the operating budget and their shoulders are all up around their ears with palms in the air.

Water needs to come down another 1,000m3/second....

Interesting. The Quesnel River hatchery was closed because adult returns were abysmal. Let’s hope the fish cultural techniques will be improved this time around.

Big Bar landslide response information bulletin
July 24 2020

Ongoing onsite operations
Water levels subsided over the last week at the Big Bar landslide site, but remain high while crews complete work on the Phase 2 installation of the Whooshh system. Crews reinstalled the pumps and electrical panels, adjusted the position of some of the Whooshh components to suit the Phase 2 layout, tensioned the fish tube cables, and connected the Whooshh skids and platforms.

The BC River Forecast Centre is predicting another possible spike in river levels in the coming days. The team is monitoring the situation closely and will adjust its work accordingly.

Update on fish monitoring
As of July 22, 233 chinook have been successfully radio tagged. These fish have been monitored migrating towards Big Bar from Bridge River, but none have been detected moving past the slide site. Salmon movement through the area is highly dependent on water levels and flow conditions at any given time. The sustained high-water conditions are challenging for fish.

Monitoring of the lower Fraser River has detected approximately 45,000 sockeye entering the Fraser River. Of these, an estimated 12,500 are Early Stuart sockeye. Some will migrate to other portions of the Fraser above Big Bar, including the Nadina, Taseko and Bowron rivers. The remainder will head to other parts of the Fraser watershed, including the Thompson River.

A small number of sockeye have been observed by sonar stations downstream of the slide site, but none upstream. As a result, monitoring crews began seining the Fraser River for sockeye in the Lillooet area on July 22 to apply radio tags. To date, none have been caught using the seine net.

Enhancement program update
To date, technicians operating the fish wheel have captured 36 chinook, which have been transferred to the French Bar Creek Fish Holding Facility. DNA testing is underway, but preliminary data suggests that most of the fish tested so far are from streams in the lower end of the Upper Fraser, between Big Bar and Prince George.

2020-07-24-a.JPG

Crews adjusted the elevation of the Whooshh discharge tubes.

2020-07-24-b.JPG

View of West Beach work area on July 18.

2020-07-24-c.JPG

Whooshh tubes and working platform overlooking the Fraser River.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pacific-smon-pacifique/big-bar-landslide-eboulement/index-eng.html

Back