Somas Sockeye Bulletin

Release all documentation from meetings where they agreed to allocation numbers and who they are to the media. Here I thought this was a example of how fisheries could be managed going forward for all. One rule for all unless your stewards of the land for millennium then you have the right to rape and pillage till nothing is left. Out them and make them defend it to the public on national tv

How is a roundtable supposed to work when parties have differant rights and rules?

Anybody who thinks this will be any differant in the future has their head under the sand!

I hope this goes on every news station in Canada.

No surprise by the actions of some.
Government is SPINELESS when it comes to a special 4% of Canadians.
Get used to it. Its going to get worse and worse.
RACISM AT ITS BEST.
Pathetic really. 2 sets of rules in this Country.
Get it while you can, its well on its path to manage to ZERO.

Why sweep it under the rug? Why not let the media know and name the greedy bastards!

I contacted CTV twice but no reply yet, I would encourage others to do the same. A member mentioned they contacted Jill Bennett, she does a great job as well

Hard to fathom how aparthied policies can proceed in fisheries management in Canada particularly in light of the current world wide focus on equality. The systemic problems in DFO management need to be addressed in my opinion. Perhaps it is time to defund DFO and start with a renewed focus on scientific management.
The worldwide focus on equality isn’t feeling so equal

I believe that we as non fn recreational fisherman have equal human rights to fish. I know there are excellent Lawyers that are experts in this field. I often wonder why the organizations that solicit donations from this forum have not approached representation on a Human rights violation regarding equal rights in this matter. Am I being naive or just ignorant? eman;)

Last edited:
I believe that we as white recreational fisherman have equal human rights to fish. I know there are excellent Lawyers that are experts in this field. I often wonder why the organizations that solicit donations from this forum have not approached representation on a Human rights violation regarding equal rights in this matter. Am I being naive or just ignorant? eman;)
According to the Supreme Court we do not have equal rights to fish.

I believe that we as white recreational fisherman have equal human rights to fish. I know there are excellent Lawyers that are experts in this field. I often wonder why the organizations that solicit donations from this forum have not approached representation on a Human rights violation regarding equal rights in this matter. Am I being naive or just ignorant? eman;)

According to the courts first nations are citizen plus. They are canadian citizens plus they have special rights and titles that was granted by the crown.

You don't have tho rights and titles. The world is not equal

The Liberal and NDP goverment has also embolden First Nations to go out and do this stuff. Its happen all across BC.

Last edited:
Not all rec fisher's are white, im brown and getting screwed just like you my brother from another mother

SOMASS SOCKEYE BULLETIN # 9 – 2020 Date: July 16, 2020

For more info please call the Port Alberni DFO office at 250 720 4440

Somass Sockeye Stock Assessment Update
Pre-season forecast: Somass (Great Central and Sproat) – 169,000 Henderson Lake Sockeye outlook < 15,000
Escapement to July 15: Stamp: 88,081 Sproat: 106,996 Total: 195,077
Test Fishery: Seine vessel Nita Maria testing July 12 and 13 estimated 25,000 inside 10 Mile Point and 12,500 outside.
Re-forecast July 16 - run size upgraded to 330,000
Catch Estimate: 61,673
Somass First Nations – 34,403
Maa-nulth First Nations – 6,196
Area D Gillnet – 7,042
Area B Seine - 0
Recreational – 8,334
Test Fishery – 5,698

NEXT WEEK’S FISHING PLANS:

All Fishing plans are subject to change depending on weekly meetings. Remaining sockeye allocations are limiting fisheries.

First Nations

Hupacasath – No fisheries scheduled.
Tseshaht – No authorized fisheries.
Tsu-ma-uss - No authorized fisheries or sales.
Tsu-ma-uss - FSC Hook and Line open 7 days a week non retention of sockeye.
Maa-nulth – 7 days a week hook and line and gillnet. The harvest plan may include the contracting of designated Area D Gillnet vessels displaying Maa-nulth identification flags to harvest remaining allocations of sockeye.

Commercial

Area D Gillnet – No fisheries scheduled.
Area B Seine – No fisheries scheduled.

Recreational

July 1st until further notice 2 sockeye per day in Area 23 including the tidal portions of the Somass River.
Tidal Portion of the Somass River is open 5 am to 10 pm daily. See FN 0617 FN 0617 Sockeye opening Area 23
Somass Park open July 1st to July 23 daily 1 sockeye per day in a portion of the freshwater section of the Somass River.
See FN 0618 FN 0618 Somass Park

No one whos in the public eye is going to touch this..they'll be called racist if they do

Sadly I somehow already knew that and thought if it was looked at through the eyes of conservation and legality, which it is, the topic would have some legs. I’ll just throw it in the pile of no responses like we all get from Rebecca Reid DFO, Jeff Grout DFO, Gord Johns MP etc with the other issues.

Such a joke nothing to do with race but with a process, agreement's, and supposed good faith for conservation all thrown out the window for greed

So... did they sign an EO agreement? Is this EO fish or FSC? Does FSC fish have a TAC under the fishing plan if no EO agreement?

SOMASS SOCKEYE BULLETIN # 9 – 2020 Date: July 16, 2020

Pre-season forecast: Somass (Great Central and Sproat) – 169,000 Henderson Lake Sockeye outlook < 15,000
Escapement to July 15: Stamp: 88,081 Sproat: 106,996 Total: 195,077
Test Fishery: Seine vessel Nita Maria testing July 12 and 13 estimated 25,000 inside 10 Mile Point and 12,500 outside.
Re-forecast July 16 - run size upgraded to 330,000
Catch Estimate: 61,673
Somass First Nations – 34,403
Maa-nulth First Nations – 6,196
Area D Gillnet – 7,042
Area B Seine - 0
Recreational – 8,334
Test Fishery – 5,698

All Fishing plans are subject to change depending on weekly meetings. Remaining sockeye allocations are limiting fisheries.

First Nations

Tseshaht – No authorized fisheries.
Tsu-ma-uss - No authorized fisheries or sales.
Tsu-ma-uss - FSC Hook and Line open 7 days a week non retention of sockeye.
Maa-nulth – 7 days a week hook and line and gillnet. The harvest plan may include the contracting of designated Area D Gillnet vessels displaying Maa-nulth identification flags to harvest remaining allocations of sockeye.

Commercial

Recreational

July 1st until further notice 2 sockeye per day in Area 23 including the tidal portions of the Somass River.
Tidal Portion of the Somass River is open 5 am to 10 pm daily. See FN 0617 FN 0617 Sockeye opening Area 23
Somass Park open July 1st to July 23 daily 1 sockeye per day in a portion of the freshwater section of the Somass River.
See FN 0618 FN 0618 Somass Park

I for one am going to print off this Bulletin dated July 16, 2020. And If I get boarded or inspected by DFO / Conservation Officer this week, I am going to give them a copy of this Bulletin and tell them to get the f$ck off my vessel and enforce the f$cking laws of this country.

This is no different then Black Lives Matter, the squeaky wheel no longer gets grease. It gets a government handout.

For the most part, the Harvest Round Table has worked reasonably well in having all sectors work collaboratively to determine responsible plans to achieve a fishery that is sustainable. In this instance, one stakeholder within the group has decided to ignore conservation concerns and proceed fishing without the support of all other stakeholders. I would suggest that there are ways it can be dealt with both within the RT process and also with DFO taking action. One simple tool to contain the FSC overage is to make a future EO fishery for Chinook contingent upon an immediate cessation of sockeye fishing per the Table's request. There are tools...lets see how they are applied. Let's also allow the RT to apply pressure on the offending stakeholders to respect the process. There isn't a news story here, its all about allowing the process to function as designed.

SOMASS SOCKEYE BULLETIN # 10 – 2020 Date: July 23, 2020

Escapement to July 22: Stamp: 102,716 Sproat: 122,934 Total: 225, 650
Test Fishery: Seine vessel Nita Maria testing July 19 and 20 estimated 5,000 inside 10 Mile Point and 5,000 outside.
Re-forecast July 23 - run size remains 330,000
Catch Estimate: 67,210
Somass First Nations – 37,609
Maa-nulth First Nations – 7,688
Area D Gillnet – 6,889
Area B Seine - 0
Recreational – 9,000
Test Fishery – 6,023

First Nations

Tseshaht – No fisheries scheduled.
Tsu-ma-uss - No fisheries scheduled.
Tsu-ma-uss - FSC Hook and Line open 7 days a week non retention of Sockeye.
Maa-nulth – 7 days a week hook and line and gillnet. The harvest plan may include the contracting of designated Area D Gillnet vessels (possibly 1- 2 vessels) displaying Maa-nulth identification flags to harvest remaining allocations of Sockeye.

Commercial

Recreational

2 Sockeye per day in Area 23 excluding the tidal portions of the Somass River which is now a finfish closure from July 24 –Sept 30. See FN 0617 Opening Sockeye Area 23

Region 1 Somass River Somass Park closes July 23 to Sockeye retention. See FN 0618 Somass Park

Back