Boat Window Glass What the hell is on there and how do I get off

tried CLR Yesterday! It was a no go! The only thing that works is the oxidation remover and the stuff that noluck found! But only work if you rub by hand my polisher Doesn’t apply enough pressure

the steel wool worked too but I feel it left some very light scratches in the test spot

Y
tried CLR Yesterday! It was a no go! The only thing that works is the oxidation remover and the stuff that noluck found! But only work if you rub by hand my polisher Doesn’t apply enough pressure

the steel wool worked too but I feel it left some very light scratches in the test spot
you applied the oxidation remover with the steel wool ? And elbow grease of course. I’m surprised there were scratches. I found the oxidation remover (I used a Meguiars #50 but anything like this or 3M should work) with the fine steel wool was the perfect combo.
good luck !

If it is water spots, high acid toilet bowl cleaner like Vani sol. protect the metal from etching. Also good for rust spots where fasteners leave a stain on gelcoat.

have you tried cut polish, turtle wax makes 3 or 4 different grains. i use colgate toothpaste to polish the wifes headlights on her car works well

Also tried Toilet Bowl cleaner it was a no go! I haven't tried razor blades yet but since I can't feel it on my thumb nail I don't there is much to scrap off. I spend an hour working one of the windows it came out pretty nice, just need to do the rest of them now....

Also tried Toilet Bowl cleaner it was a no go! I haven't tried razor blades yet but since I can't feel it on my thumb nail I don't there is much to scrap off. I spend an hour working one of the windows it came out pretty nice, just need to do the rest of them now....
was that with the stuff i brought you?

When we have concrete stains on glass razor blades and cerium oxide (jewellers rouge)
Where abouts in the valley are you

If my guys used steel wool on glass I might fire them
it has been done for many years, especially in auto paint shops to remove some over spray. A few Glaziers on here that will attest to steel wool being okay if the ultra fine is used. It sounds counter-intuitive but it does work.

I am a glazier with many decades of experience, guess I can be open minded enough to try it and see as long as it’s on somebody else’s boat
Cerium oxide is like cut polish for glass , it’s what you use to buff out scratches

Cerium oxide is like cut polish for glass , it’s what you use to buff out scratches

We used to call that Jeweller's Rouge. My age is showing. Scratches can't be deep though, if your finger nail can detect it, probably too deep without distorting the glass.

Yeah so just put about 4 tablespoons of it in a typical spray bottle of water , keep shaking it as it settles quick and spray on and clean with new micro fibre cloth , and lots of elbow grease
Wax on wax off Daniel son

Etch is when minerals bind to glass molecules. It has to be polished out with specific polishing compounds. I purchased a used car only to realize later that it had obviously spent its life outside as the windows had permanent hard water stains. Another example is vehicles including boats that park at Tilbury, North Delta. There are cement factories there that emit a fine dust that will bind with glass readily, all it takes is the morning due to settle on your generously dusted vehicle or boat and the adhesion process is then complete. The detailing department in Mercedes 3 Point Motors will take you through the steps and costs to deal with this. SHC Autographx managed to polish out the extent on my vehicle, and then add a ceramic coat to all surfaces of my vehicle. This has so far been a very effective solution.

have you tried cut polish, turtle wax makes 3 or 4 different grains. i use colgate toothpaste to polish the wifes headlights on her car works well
Regarding headlight polishing, you’ll need to follow up with a UV resistant clear coat otherwise they will go yellow again

Wow who knew there was so many glaziers on here lol. Small world when you think about how little glaziers there are in BC.

One of the uses for Hydrochloric acid is for descaling.
We use Hydrochloric acid it is much stronger than Muriatic acid to descale glass.
Razor blades, steel wool, green abrasive pads will all scratch tempered glass.
If the Hydrochloric acid does not work I agree with drpowers comment that Etch is when minerals bind to glass molecules. It has to be polished out with specific polishing compounds.

Back