Tips for building a new house

32Knots

We are getting ready for our house build and I figured a few of you guys might know a thing or 2 about building. I am looking for tips on not getting taking advantage of, making the right decisions, areas of construction you can save money on, using a builder vs being the general, and anything house or construction related etc etc etc

So far we have completed a land survey. We have met with a builder ($$$$ we felt). Met with a draftsman/designer. Both recommended in our area (mid island). We know the regs and zoning and have spoke with the municipality.

Any help or tips related to a new build would be appreciated.

Former skilled tradesman, now a Realtor for the last 18 years. I know your dilemma well. Often I have found that the municipality you are building in will have a helpful guide on their website, within the building department pages usually. Not sure where you are but you could try the Greater Vancouver Home Builders Association or a similar page, as they also have tips for those building their own property.

Unless you are not going to sell for 10 years, you will have to get a license from BC Housing if you do want to sell as it aligns with the 2-5-10 new home warranty. Even if you hire a licensed builder, if you sell it you will have to get your license in order to lawfully do so. Strange but true.

There are a few builders on here , so good luck.

#1 Tip: do not cheap out on plans and specifications!
Many newbies try to save money here and it's a big mistake. Be as detailed as possible. Changes on paper are cheap and easy. Once you are building, changes get very expensive.
#2: Choose 3 reputable builders (check references) and provide them with your approved plans and specifications. You will then be comparing apples and apples when you get their quotes. Choose a builder with a personality compatible with yours. Price is not the only thing. Get everything in writing! Get a lawyer to review it before signing.
#3: Once you have chosen your builder and signed a contract, trust them to do their job. Your builder does not need your micro-management or the latest idea you got from a home improvement show. Your builder is not a marriage counselor. Have your arguments settled before you meet with your builder. Stay off the job-site except for the scheduled site review times. Pay promptly at the scheduled times. Avoid change orders because you planned well at the beginning. If something must be changed, do it as early as possible.
#4: Tradespeople are people first. Kindness and respect go a long way to creating a harmonious working environment. Delivering coffee and donuts at 10:00 a.m. on a cold, wet morning is always welcomed. Say thank you. People always do a better job when they know they are appreciated.
#5: Be prepared for the unexpected. Sometimes things go sideways and some things can take a little longer. Have a buffer in your schedule and contingency funds in your budget. Follow your builder's advice to get best value.
#6: Be realistic. Excellence is to be expected but you demanding perfection is neurotic behaviour.
#7 : Be very careful before embarking on a building project on your own. A professional builder has years of training and experience that you do not have. He or she has developed skills, relationships and connections that you do not have. They have resources that you do not have. Building for the first time will be the most stressful, slow, frustrating and expensive experience you can ever have.
#8: When you get to the end of your project, it will have taken a little longer and cost a little more than you hoped it would. But you will have a quality built, custom home that you will be proud of and enjoy for many years. Little things come up. Reputable builders will stand behind their work.

Celebrate! Tell your friends what a great relationship you built with your builder.

Many newbies try to save money here and it's a big mistake. Be as detailed as possible. Changes on paper are cheap and easy. Once you are building, changes get very expensive.
#2: Choose 3 reputable builders (check references) and provide them with your approved plans and specifications. You will then be comparing apples and apples when you get their quotes. Choose a builder with a personality compatible with yours. Price is not the only thing. Get everything in writing! Get a lawyer to review it before signing.<snip>

These two things are huge for me. We did a major renovation/addition a few years ago. We were working with an interior designer along with the general contractor. They knew each other but weren't affiliated. Anyway, the interior designer was SLOW and we ended up with a few little quirks that still cause me some irritation...like the layout of the kitchen shifted slightly when we ordered cabinets, but the recessed lighting was already installed. So the lights aren't quite right. And the sink shifted a bit but the heat duct didn't. Anyway, my advice is to really sweat the details in the design phase and then let the contractors do their work. You'll probably also shave a bit of time off the construction schedule this way since all the subtrades can be lined up in advance.

Permits from the municipality.
Make sure your builder/GC is in good with the bureaucrats.
Helpful webpages does not equate to helpful development services and they are the ones that issue building permits and occupancy.

#2: Choose 3 reputable builders (check references) and provide them with your approved plans and specifications. You will then be comparing apples and apples when you get their quotes. Choose a builder with a personality compatible with yours. Price is not the only thing. Get everything in writing! Get a lawyer to review it before signing.
#3: Once you have chosen your builder and signed a contract, trust them to do their job. Your builder does not need your micro-management or the latest idea you got from a home improvement show. Your builder is not a marriage counselor. Have your arguments settled before you meet with your builder. Stay off the job-site except for the scheduled site review times. Pay promptly at the scheduled times. Avoid change orders because you planned well at the beginning. If something must be changed, do it as early as possible.
#4: Tradespeople are people first. Kindness and respect go a long way to creating a harmonious working environment. Delivering coffee and donuts at 10:00 a.m. on a cold, wet morning is always welcomed. Say thank you. People always do a better job when they know they are appreciated.
#5: Be prepared for the unexpected. Sometimes things go sideways and some things can take a little longer. Have a buffer in your schedule and contingency funds in your budget. Follow your builder's advice to get best value.
#6: Be realistic. Excellence is to be expected but you demanding perfection is neurotic behaviour.
#7 : Be very careful before embarking on a building project on your own. A professional builder has years of training and experience that you do not have. He or she has developed skills, relationships and connections that you do not have. They have resources that you do not have. Building for the first time will be the most stressful, slow, frustrating and expensive experience you can ever have.
#8: When you get to the end of your project, it will have taken a little longer and cost a little more than you hoped it would. But you will have a quality built, custom home that you will be proud of and enjoy for many years. Little things come up. Reputable builders will stand behind their work.

Celebrate! Tell your friends what a great relationship you built with your builder.
As a builder there is not much I would add to that.

As an owner you will want to abide strictly by the Builders' Lien Act and have a holdback account co-adminstrated with your builder.
10% of all payments into the account.
Make sure your reviewing lawyer has construction experience.

any and all changes must be in writing, priced, and signed by you BEFORE work begins or they will not be paid for. learned the hard way

As an owner you will want to abide strictly by the Builders' Lien Act and have a holdback account co-adminstrated with your builder.
10% of all payments into the account.
Make sure your reviewing lawyer has construction experience.

Good advice here too. I had only limited construction experience but we did hold 10% holdback. Our contractor was not familiar with this practice at all and really objected to the 55 days after substantial completion before we paid out the holdback.

Good advice here too. I had only limited construction experience but we did hold 10% holdback. Our contractor was not familiar with this practice at all and really objected to the 55 days after substantial completion before we paid out the holdback.
This has been standard practice for decades. Inexperienced contractor?

any and all changes must be in writing, priced, and signed by you BEFORE work begins or they will not be paid for. learned the hard way
This should be written into your contract. Your builder should supply signed Change Orders to you for approval before work commences.

I can’t imagine a contractor that’s not familiar with lien holdback.....weird

You get what you pay for until you hit the top companies. Then they just get more of what you pay for. Scaling a construction company only benefits the owner of the company so stick to a smaller guy. One with a proven record that's chosen to keep it small. The most important question is "what do I get for my fee?". Will it include any site time/quality control or is that all done by the hourly foreman/supervisor? A good guy should have MAX three projects at a time. If he's bigger then he should have max three per supervisor. Ask him those questions and then hold him to it.

Related to Foxsea's point #1 and #2, start by spending some time finding a good designer. Look at their portfolio of work, note the things you like. Check their references. They should spend time helping you figure out your needs before any walls are drawn. A good designer may cost a bit more up front, but the good ones are worth it.

Back