Recreational chinook openings leave First Nations frustrated on the Lower Fraser

This is becoming downright STUPID who's in charge of this sh"' show defund DFO and start over. It's all about greed and exploiting political correctness run amuck

Anglers and others who frequent the Chilliwack/Vedder rivers should be aware that the Sumas First Nations will be conducting DFO authorized net fisheries in the lower river near the confluence of the Sumas and Vedder rivers in an effort to meet Food, Social and Ceremonial (FSC) needs. This selective fishery will be targeting chinook salmon while avoiding stocks of concern such as Chilliwack and Cultus Lake sockeye. This fishery could commence as early as July 16th and continue into August. Anglers and boaters should take required actions to avoid this net presence which will be marked with buoys and avoid them.

The Recreational fishing community has collaborated with the Sumas First Nation to facilitate safe and orderly fisheries for both anglers and the First Nations fishers. This fishery will be monitored and catch results will be provided to DFO weekly. We are hopeful that respect and consideration will evident on the river for all fishers.

Further information will be provided as available.

Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance
Bc Federation of Drift Fishers
Fraser Valley Salmon Society

The recreational community LOFL.
Anybody with any knowledge of the our fisheries knows that this is a HUGE mistake.

Why arent they just using dipnets in Limit hole if they TRULY want to target the red springs? Would be 100% selective with easy release of the sockeye!

Last edited:
Must be using the specific chinook gill nets that let all other species through. What an utter joke. Already seeing daily posts on facebook with fn selling their food fish, sure that will increase 10x when the chinook slaughter begins on those rivers.

"Collect data on the terminal run".
Such ********, the hatchery red chinook go directly to the hatchery. Almost every fish will be in limit hole or the hatchery within a few weeks. Pretty easy to count the run size....

Last edited:
I just dont understand.With the non retention of chinook for sports fishermen.To save these early Fraser fish and then let them net the river makes no sense to me.If it keeps going this way there will be no fish left for anybody.Just my two cents worth

I just dont understand.With the non retention of chinook for sports fishermen.To save these early Fraser fish and then let them net the river makes no sense to me.If it keeps going this way there will be no fish left for anybody.Just my two cents worth
The restrictions have nothing to do with conservation. All about transfer of ownership of a species . If it was about conservation and saving salmon you would see a huge influx of cash towards hatcheries, seal culls and maybe even 1 implement of the Cohen commission recommendations

They will be fishing a totally different, hatchery stock.

Good point, I feel that FN leadership is pushing an agenda that fails to offer the truth.
Such as speaking openly on Fraser river gill netting of the Chinook, as in numbers and how it is sold.
Or explaining why bags of sockeye are dumped each season?
Any arrangement to be sound requires accountability and disclosure, I’ve not heard any yet , I have heard a lot of FN spin though.

Why hide the truth?

On all sides its mostly good people trying to make a positive change. Unfortunately there is a sprinkling of individuals on both sides with different agendas. I can only hope/try to believe that we all just generally want more fish/opportunities. The question is how do we facilitate positive interactions. I'm sure first nations are just as fed up with DFO and their mismanagement. My take is that as sport fisherman we probably need to work harder to open channels of communication with FN's. I think we all share the common goal of wanting more fish. If there are more resources available the I expect there would be less tension. Who knows.

This is how they operate... seems like they are selling the salmon at first light... around 5 or 6am... Which leads me to believe they are illegally gillnetting throughout the early hours when it's dark. The guy meets you at a public spot to make sure you aren't a reporter/cop/dfo etc... then he takes you to the guy that is actually selling the fish... seems like multiple layers of people/middlemen involved... likely lookouts with cellphones on the corners etc.... Seems like a well thought out and lucrative business selling illegal fish if you ask me.. shady as hell... middle of the night operation... meet at one place.. if you check out he takes you to the next guy who takes your money.. someone else hands you the fish... Not all that different from how a drug ring works if you ask me...

Are FN allowed to sell fish to the public? Thought it was only for personal consumption and ceremonial purposes? If they aren't allowed why the hell isn't DFO and the Police doing anything about this? My boat has been collecting dust because of this non retention BS which DFO states in a decision based on conservation to protect endangered stocks... Yet FN are selling fish to whoever opens their wallet and blatently publishes the ADs online without any fear or hesitation. It's like these people involved in this operation are pointing their middle finger at the system... a system which they are a part of and gives them many benefits and special treatment no other citizen receives.

Wasn't there a thread a few months back with an idea to film illegal gillnetting in the rivers... If FN are not legally entitled to sell their fish, this crap should also be documented.

The other thing to consider is virtually all the sockeye that are holding near Yale, the fish unable to migrate further due to exhaustion, will die within the next few weeks.
Perhads these fish should be harvested now by FN, with an agreement to not fish the soon to arrive summer run sockeye.

Dave, have they seen any of these sockeye? Do you have any data of these Sockeye holding there?

I'm pretty sure if there was these huge numbers of fish at the rapid at Yale FN would have already harvested them.

Totally makes sense to not even give these fish a chance and wipe them out....

Last edited:
Dave, have they seen any of these sockeye? Do you have any data of these Sockeye holding there?

I'm pretty sure if there was these huge numbers of fish at the rapid at Yale FN would have already harvested them.

Totally makes sense to not even give these fish a chance and wipe them out....

No, I haven't seen them personally this season, and am going by PSC reports of sockeye in the area,but I have seen similar conditions in years past. The sockeye around Yale and Hope will enter non natal streams and hold there, eventually dying. Those making it through Hells Gate will enter the Bridge and Stein Rivers.
Gonads will appear under developed and the fish themselves, for the most part, will not turn the typical red color.
Sockeye taken for broodstock, under these conditions, will be very difficult to spawn.
When this situation occurs, when we know most of the fish will die before spawning, brings out the 2 sides ... do we harvest them or hope some will spawn. It's funny how divided managers are on this issue and most times the fish die before any decision is properly made.

Back