if it's over 80cm and ??

Perhaps single barbless and no bait would go hand in hand with a non-retention fishery. I'd rather have the opportunity of a C & R fishery, assuming they've factored in some mortality, but if things are so dire they should shut it down completely.

Last weekend, I went fishing for coho. I saw 15 to 20 boats fishing for chinooks. Why don't they follow the rules? It happens a lot. They want to catch and release. That is very wrong.

Sorry, I don't follow -- what is the 80cm max limit in reference to? I can't find anything here https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s19-eng.html

You will find the 80cm info on the link below

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/salmon-saumon/fraser-chin-mgmt-gest-quin-eng.html

Strait of Georgia – South and Juan de Fuca
Areas 18 and 19 (excluding Subarea 19-2 which is closed to all fishing activities), Subareas 20-3 to 20-7, Area 28 and Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 (with the exception of those portions of Areas 28 and 29 listed in FN0673), and Subarea 29-8:

• April 1 to July 31: No retention of chinook
  • Aug 1 to Aug 31: 1 chinook per day, max 80 cm
  • Sept 1 to Dec 31: 2 chinook per day

Just make sure you mark it on your licence so if you get caught you dont get pinched with multiple fines.

This is my issue with this rule.

I consider myself somewhat experienced. I can tell by looking at a fish if it is around a 8 pound chinook it is probably 62 cm plus a hair and a keeper, so I net it and then measure it to double check.

If it is a 5 or 6 pound fish. I do not net it. I check to see if it is a hatchery hoe and then let it go with pliers over the side of the boat.

However, I have no idea what a 80 cm fish looks like. Some are fat, some are skinny. etc. I have to net the fish to measure it and the chances of a 81 cm fish surviving after being netted are very low.

If I purposefully keep a tyee, give me a huge fine.

This is my issue with this rule.

I consider myself somewhat experienced. I can tell by looking at a fish if it is around a 8 pound chinook it is probably 62 cm plus a hair and a keeper, so I net it and then measure it to double check.

If it is a 5 or 6 pound fish. I do not net it. I check to see if it is a hatchery hoe and then let it go with pliers over the side of the boat.

However, I have no idea what a 80 cm fish looks like. Some are fat, some are skinny. etc. I have to net the fish to measure it and the chances of a 81 cm fish surviving after being netted are very low.

If I purposefully keep a tyee, give me a huge fine.

It’s not that hard. Measure and mark 80 cm on you gaff, your harpoon, boat hook, or even a stick. This will allow you to quickly get a rough measurement without netting the fish. And don’t waste time. If it’s close, let it go. Easy.

Back