2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

My son and buddy drove into bamfield the other day .they had no issues. We stopped at Mcays for fuel with no problems . We fished Sunday out by Beal in the am and over by effingham in the afternoon and didn’t get a thing :( Wasn’t to bad of a weekend Though . 5 springs , 2 Hali and around a100 prawns. Had to work for the fish this weekend.

Bit of a grinder weekend out there with the wind but managed to scratch out some decent springs off Beal mostly. White hootchies outfished chovies for us. Couple tasty sox on the run in and out that was nice. Watch for humpbacks we nearly ran into one.

Here is my rapid and not very eventful report for Sunday
Had a quick day out from Port Alberni to Broken Group yesterday to do a combo sightseeing and fishing jaunt. Left Clutesi around 7am and had an exhilarating ride through the sockeye crowd in the inlet. I often run the canal in the summer and I am fairly certain I have never seen that many boats out for sockeye. Absolutely bonkers. I know we are apparently limiting visitors from outside the province but it seemed like half the sportsfishing boats on earth were jammed in there. That many sporty boats plus nets across the rivers = no surprise why the escapement graphs for Somass/Sproat/Stamp show a drop in numbers post July 1 that would make Thanos jealous. Anyhoo, made it out to the sound and went prospecting for lings. Definitely not as many as earlier in the season and we had to work for them, but came home with enough to keep the kids in fish sticks for a while. The wind made it less than agreeable for some of the crew so we pulled up lines early and ran back to Alberni. Agree with TakesAll's comments about the whales as we also had a few visits from them on both sides of the Deer Group so keep your head on a swivel around there.

In other news
I am getting rid of the cheeseball tribal tattoo "Weldcraft" stickers on Salty Alice and having giant octopus arms printed. Look for us around Bamfield this summer. Release the kraken!

Late report from 2 weekends ago, hit our sockeye in the inlet in the AM then ran out to Beale area and fished through the mid-afternoon high tide and went 3/3 on springs at 15, 18 and 22 pounds. Saw some others same size class or slightly largely taken as well. Hitting various UV cuttlefish hoochies just off bottom. Bellies were packed with squid, and saw lots of that on the sounder. Tried hard but couldn't round out our limit with our 4th one. Heading out to Ukee this week and weekend if its really slow up there we may run down and pound the Beale area for a while, any updated reports would be much appreciated!

Gear in the water at 0600. Bordelais rocks. Shakers and 3 to 4 lb Chinooks. Quite a few. Released everything. Troll to Kirby. Shakers. So far...

Tuesday afternoon spent some time at Fleming. Lots of shakers but managed a nice Sockeye on a white hootchie behind a Chartreuse Salty Dog set at 50ft. We were following the 100’ contour. The second rod had Skinny G Herring Aid behind a herring aid flasher (caught most of the shakers).

Can anyone clarify that the All Finfish Closure in Pacific Rim Park is just for divers? Want to try Entrance Harbour if it’s open.

Good mid morning Chinook bite today. 4 to the boat, lost one, released one, kept 2. All high teens to mid twenties. Zero shakers today, fishing close to the bottom. Bordelais rocks to Kirby pt.
Pastafarian

Yesterday started at Swale about 8:30, Trolled up to Entrance and back no takers there. Late morning, ran to Diana made a long pass up to beyond Kirby and back down to Fleming. Not a sniff. Off the water at 3. No shakers today.
Didn’t see any nets outs. Not many boats out either.

Towed boat over to Tofino from Van. Couple springs off Lennard this morning on chovies then epic little coho bite in evening with gals in tight w/ the charcuterie board out.

Attachments

• 1C75687E-FEAD-4D94-BCE2-BCA265DADF86.png
    1C75687E-FEAD-4D94-BCE2-BCA265DADF86.png
    464.7 KB · Views: 201
  • B222A34A-DC89-414F-89DA-59DE0654E88D.png
    B222A34A-DC89-414F-89DA-59DE0654E88D.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 210
Meers to Cree just shakers. Lots of fog so we pulled up and hit Diplock thru Holford and finished up in Junction pass. Skunked for keepers. Father in law boat hit a couple. I will update when then get in.

Last edited:
Back