Recreational chinook openings leave First Nations frustrated on the Lower Fraser

What's next they are going to want the fall salmon as well with no recreational fishing?

They already have priority to anything that comes back to the hatchery!
If there is any excess once brood is taken they have always been able to take as much as they have wanted!

This isnt about Chinook, this is about complete control over all of BCs resources. Such a joke.

The FN do not want anyone fishing on the Fraser.
This has been fought in court already, but I will guess the Liberals will give this to them now.

Pretty sure you can’t, “ Authorize your own fishery”, I believe that is called poaching.

That's a rather poorly researched/explained "article". There's no mention of the numerous openings that have occurred or are scheduled to occur.

Why don’t they just grab a rod and reel and harvest as many hatchery Chinook as they can?
Grab their traditional methods and kill as many as they can with their traditional methods that they used on the Vedder.

Over 30 legal openings now that they have had to harvest some of the most endangered runs of salmon on the west coast and they are complaining?

Imagine if FN actually started calling out our government and DFO about an actual recovery program for these upper river stocks? Or are they so short sited on killing them off and not thinking about the future?

Last edited:
For fu*k sake, I can't even take my young kids out to share time with them on the boat doing what we all love to do which is hook up on a nice chinook, even if it means it's hatchery, land it, take it home and enjoy a freakin family dinner on 1 damn hatchery chinook... Not that much to ask for... The rationale makes total sense to me... no hatchery, not even allowed to catch and release yet they turn a blind eye to gillnetting and people putting shitloads of chinook salmon into totes loaded onto moving trucks..

I can live with the consequences of me being denied the opportunity to fish for no apparent reason, but don't take that enjoyment and experience away from my kids and the hundreds and thousands of other children and young adults in this province. ******** times a million.

Last edited:
Trudy has a minority govt and so does Horgan. They'll do anything it takes to retain the FN vote. We missed our chance to turf both these losers last election.

Very few FN people vote in the colonial governance structure, provincial or federal. FN make up 4.9% of Canada’s population in whole. Even though there has been around 61.5% voter turn out in past federal elections of FN people. That number is very small compared to around 68% voter turn out for the rest of Canada population, a substantially larger proportion of voters.

True that.
But lets not forget the Virtue Signal Value of catering to FN's among city dwelling liberal supporters still entertaining the notion of the Noble Savage. who was sinned against and as such must be coddled forever more...
And that volume of votes is considerable (much to our chagrin).

Nog

The Indian Act is not the way forward...if it was things would never change and inequality in life for indigenous people around Canada would continue to be oppressed as the history of governance continues to share in many ways. This is why you are seeing the shift. It will seem worse before it gets better for all three Fishing sectors.

What are you talking about? You say it will get worse before it gets better? We are as close to being rock bottom as it gets..... There is not much more worse situations than basically 1 month in September for chinook fishing around area 29. For the entire summer you can't even catch and release? And from July 15th to Aug 31, I have to make a 45 min run over to Thrasher just for the opportunity to catch 1 Chinook and it has to be legal size but under 80cm? Then go back 45mins to the mainland for 1 frekin fish? No thanks..... How the hell does it get worse than this? And by the way, when you talk about September, when we look at dates that most folks have available for fishing(weekends) and the fact that not every weekend will have weather/wind patterns that make it safe or comfortable to be out on the water... we really are talking about a handful of possible days during the prime fishing season..

Yes. It will get worse before it gets better. That's exactly what I said. I have talked for years upon years about what is now here. Here we are and it will get worse before the shift. The only way forward is all three Fishing sectors working together. I said it for more than ten years. It's not my job to change you.

I don't need changing. I am perfectly fine that way I am. Your suggestion as the only way forward is all three fishing sectors working together will never happen so it's not even an option. I am not speaking for everyone in the rec sector because each person has their own voice and opinions, but my opinion on the likelihood of everyone working together is next to ZERO. I have no doubt most folks in the rec sector would be open to the opportunity for collaboration with the other 2 sectors and with DFO and even with ENGOs.. However, the other sectors want nothing to do with the rec as we are easy targets and they can screw us over in order to hoard the resource for themselves. The commercial sector does it for a living... more access to fish means more money in their pockets and a better lifestyle for themselves and their families... FN has not shown ANY respect nor willingness to work with the rec nor the commercial sector...From their actions and media stunts, seems like some FN folks want all the fish for themselves as well... There are millions and millions of dollars at stake with FN selling legal and illegal salmon so why would FN groups who profit from hoarding this resource want to cooperate and work with Rec and commercial sectors? You are living in the land of unicorns and dragons.

Surprised it hasn’t been posted here yet. Sumas FN have been approved to start netting the Vedder for Chinook in the next couple days. Keep in mind this is now when we see the start of the endangered Cultas Sockeye. The Chilliwack lake sockeye are off to one of the worst starts I have seen I have seen in a long time. Says that they will not be targeting sockeye, however sort of hard not to intercept these in a net fishery. Truly an absolute joke, this will be the nail in the coffin for the sportsfishing industry in the Fraser Valley. This will not stop at them trying to net the summer reds which number probably less than a 1000.

The question you have to ask is why aren’t they just getting the ones in the hatchery for their food and ceremonial fisheries that would have no interception of the endangered Sockeye? Because the ones in the hatchery have no market value.

Also disgusting is how one voice who speaks for the rec community thought it was a good idea a few years ago to suggest that the FN should be able to net the Vedder for Chilliwack lake sockeye. Look at the can of worms it opened.
He doesnt care now as he is selling out the interior lakes...

Last edited:
Back