Matriarchs to occupy lands on Haida Gwaii as fishing lodges reopen

Let’s break this down clear and simple. No need for arguments and comments that can’t be deciphered.

I understand QCL is flying all guests to Rupert and then directly into the lodge. Supplies come the same route, as do staff. The lodge is 45km away from the nearest Haida community. QCL’s operating plan had to be approved by WorkSafe and in adherence with the Provincial COVID rules and regs. Contingency plans have been built in, specifically factoring in the Haida and their concerns. QCL has attempted to communicate and work with the Haida Nation to come up with a mutually agreeable plan until recently.

At the end of the day QCL is a business and they are simply trying to operate within the rules. They own land in Haida Gwaii, operate a legitimate business, pay their taxes and have rights too.

For those saying QCL is in the wrong, why? What more should they be doing (aside from not opening, in your opinion)?

Always follow the money.... there’s your answer. And no, I’m not talking about ransom and that kind of BS. I’m talking about the bigger picture of the economics in the western provinces and how big of a slice each rank of the society is going to get from this shrinking pie.

COVID is a legitimate concern as ST pointed-out. As far as members going out - as far as I know - all of the FN communities are still exercising a 14d quarantine period for those members whom had to go out for medical appointments and the like.

And open-air stuff like buying fish on the side of the road is of a lower risk than having particularly American tourists come and stay. If you are grasping for reasons to try and deny FN communities their right to isolate their communities due to COVID risks - you'll have to find better & more logical reasons than this. In any event - they have the right to isolate their communities if they want to - full stop. Just like Canada which closed it's own borders.

QCL is doing nothing wrong in my eyes, they’re following all the guidelines set out by WorkSafeBC and they have a plan. I’m curious how close the old villages, which the FN have every right to visit, are to the lodge though.

COVID is a legitimate concern as ST pointed-out. As far as members going out - as far as I know - all of the FN communities are still exercising a 14d quarantine period for those members whom had to go out for medical appointments and the like.

And open-air stuff like buying fish on the side of the road is of a lower risk than having particularly American tourists come and stay. If you are grasping for reasons to try and deny FN communities their right to isolate their communities due to COVID risks - you'll have to find better & more logical reasons than this. In any event - they have the right to isolate their communities if they want to - full stop. Just like Canada which closed it's own borders.

I 100% agree COVID is a serious concern for FN and they should be able to isolate their communities. The lodge is not in their community, it is 45km away. Yes it’s in their territory but QCL owns their own land. Guests and staff will not be travelling through their community as far as I am aware. So...my above question remains, for those saying QCL is in the wrong, why? What more should they be doing (aside from not opening, in your opinion)?

A rational, intelligent question from an informed poster. Wow! ZF thanks. and no sarcasm reflected/intended in that statement - just appreciation.

For the record - I never said QCL was in the "wrong". I instead responded to a couple of the posters on page 1 who did not demonstrate any knowledge of the COVID responses in FN communities.

But to respond to your query directly - with a few more questions to help define the problem: how are they getting to Haida Gwaii? Charter flights from Rupert? Are they from outside BC/Canada? If so - are they quarantining? Can their movements & interactions with others from Rupert be tracked?

I think if the appropriate health officials signed-off - it should be manageable...

If they feel this strongly about their argument, why are the brothers and sisters not following suit for the westcoast of Vancouver island? Think of how many people are gonna be going to ukee, tofino, Nootka etc.

What's interesting is how FN and their supporter constantly fall back on Charter rights and rulings of activist leftist judges. The judges and the guy (Trudy's daddy) who wrote the Charter are humans and as fallible as any of us. Hitler also enacted lots of legislation and made judgments. What do we think of his stuff now? Until some of these wacko judgments are reversed we're doomed to suffer this reverse discrimination and division of Canadians into 2 or more classes of rights.

A rational, intelligent question from an informed poster. Wow! ZF thanks. and no sarcasm reflected/intended in that statement - just appreciation.

For the record - I never said QCL was in the "wrong". I instead responded to a couple of the posters on page 1 who did not demonstrate any knowledge of the COVID responses in FN communities.

But to respond to your query directly - with a few more questions to help define the problem: how are they getting to Haida Gwaii? Charter flights from Rupert? Are they from outside BC/Canada? If so - are they quarantining? Can their movements & interactions with others from Rupert be tracked?

I think if the appropriate health officials signed-off - it should be manageable...

You already know the answers to all these questions...next

What's interesting is how FN and their supporter constantly fall back on Charter rights and rulings of activist leftist judges. The judges and the guy (Trudy's daddy) who wrote the Charter are humans and as fallible as any of us. Hitler also enacted lots of legislation and made judgments. What do we think of his stuff now? Until some of these wacko judgments are reversed we're doomed to suffer this reverse discrimination and division of Canadians into 2 or more classes of rights.

So much for equal rights and "human kind":cool:

“several sport fishing lodges made the choice to cease operations this year. The Council of the Haida Nation commends this respectful act made by Langara Island Lodge, Peregrine Lodge, Naden Lodge, Escott Sportfishing Lodge, and Queen Charlotte Safaris,” reads a statement

“There are, though, a select few sportfishing lodges planning to resume service this year. The Haida Nation’s current state of emergency does not permit any non-essential travel to Haida Gwaii, including the operation of fishing lodges, at this time.”

The statement notes Dr. Bonnie Henry supports Indigenous communities’ right to limit travel to their territory, even as the province reopens.”

My earlier post on this thread answers most of your questions, take a read. Surprised you’re not aware that the border is closed, and should a Canadian be returning they must quarantine for 14 days. QCL will also be asking all guests the standard questions (symptoms, travel, contact with those tested positive, ect.).

If you read the article all those answers are there

Back