2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sporadic by worlcombe 1 hatch in, 2 wilds let go. UV white hootchies
Minefield of logs near tide line watch your hulls

was good last week, bit of rain probably made a whack of them shoot up, need some dry spells to stackm up, head out further find the new fresh
silver bullets.. some bigger ones showing..
You’re right. A lot of fish in the hatchery tank already. Finding that dry spell seems like mission impossible this summer. Forecast is calling for more moisture.

was good last week, bit of rain probably made a whack of them shoot up, need some dry spells to stackm up, head out further find the new fresh
silver bullets.. some bigger ones showing..
Yah for sure we gave gave up around 130 just as rain started . Hopefully we get some nice weather soon and fish start stacking up .

You’re right. A lot of fish in the hatchery tank already. Finding that dry spell seems like mission impossible this summer. Forecast is calling for more moisture.
I think Sunday on is supposed to be nice for awhile fingers crossed, ha ya pretty wet lately hopefully that's a good thing send that river scent out there to
bring some fresh bigger coho in, pretty sure that river will drop by Wednesday..

Slow day at the hump. One shaker gaff released and one pin popper that got a five minute workout and then had enough of the resistance training. Saw several nettings of what we're almost surely Chinooks. Really wish there was a way to show people the simplicity and benefits of gaff release/ side of boat pliers. No need to hurt the survival rate if we're not keepin' em!

Tried West Van for a couple of hours this morning. No action. A couple other boats out suffered the same fate. Water pretty brown. Tried 40’, 60’ and 100’ water.

Went to South Bowen today. Landed a hatch coho very quickly. Followed by not much. The coho was caught 40' white hoochie. The white hoochie got a couple bites and shakers. I have Intel the bite was on early today. We had a late start.

Had a great day at South Bowen. Fished from 10-2:30. Had 9 hits - 2 hatch coho for the box, one wild released along with one chubby tuna and one small tune released all at side of boat. And we missed 4 pin poppers - rookies on the boat - finally got my mom and 2 nephews out for a day on the water. All action was b/w 29’-35’ on the rigger. Was trolling fast - 4 to 4.5 knots. 20lb balls and lines angled back deep. All hits when trolling south with the current. Couldn’t get the kicker to push me fast enough in the other direction. Zero hits on the slower northbound troll. Signing off with a special F&&ck you for the Dishonourable Minister Jordan.

Went to thrasher yesterday. Got checked by DFO, seems to be nice guys.
Trolled for coho lil bit, one shaker. Switched to buttom fishing, got this beauty:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-07-13 at 8.12.24 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-13 at 8.12.24 PM.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 367
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-07-12 at 10.20.52 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-07-12 at 10.20.52 PM.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 347
Had a great day at South Bowen. Fished from 10-2:30. Had 9 hits - 2 hatch coho for the box, one wild released along with one chubby tuna and one small tune released all at side of boat. And we missed 4 pin poppers - rookies on the boat - finally got my mom and 2 nephews out for a day on the water. All action was b/w 29’-35’ on the rigger. Was trolling fast - 4 to 4.5 knots. 20lb balls and lines angled back deep. All hits when trolling south with the current. Couldn’t get the kicker to push me fast enough in the other direction. Zero hits on the slower northbound troll. Signing off with a special F&&ck you for the Dishonourable Minister Jordan.
Real tuna? Do you have pictures?

No. Not real tuna. Code for something else that I was NOT targeting. Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Nice Ling.
Do you actually know whether it's safe to eat this ling? I haven't seen any limitations regarding max size in regs, so I took it. But once posted it on facebook, commenters started telling me the fish is full of mercury and it's not safe to it.

Do you actually know whether it's safe to eat this ling? I haven't seen any limitations regarding max size in regs, so I took it. But once posted it on facebook, commenters started telling me the fish is full of mercury and it's not safe to it.
You killed it. You have to eat it. It might be grainy. It might have a few worms, but they can be seen and cut out.
If you're worried about lead, only have it once every two weeks until it's consumed. Stay off facebook. Nice fish.

Your fine to eat it. Enjoy. They’ll serve you meat from bigger ones than that in restaurants. Have not heard of excess mercury in big Lings. It is age related and lings grow quickly. Longer lived fish will have more mercury. Sablefish, dogfish and big halibut are bad for mercury. Probably big rockfish also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back