2020 Winter Harbour Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fishing is still good up at Winter Harbour. Spent two nights solo on the boat fishing Grants Bay. Brown & white turds @ 61 & 71' fishing 50-80' of water. Lots of coho around. Didn't bother with Cliff or Lighthouse but I heard the Lighthouse was getting some fish also. Great weather & water made for some more accessible fishing grounds offshore. Limits of lings and a nice 42lb hali while drifting. Looking forward to some fresh salmon. 4 hours of fish processing at the end of the trip is a grind but worth it.

Parking at Coal Harbour was pretty full. Ask the guys in the hanger where the best place to park. The guys there are a great help and even bumped me off as I was solo. I launched at a 3' tide, but a guy before me launched a 30' boat with no issue. I retrieved my 185 at about a 1' tide onto rollers which was a bit of grunt. I walked down and took a peak at the water before retrieving and the ramp probably ends at about a 0' tide. If anyone launching there for the first time, I'd aim to have about 3' of water and if you're unsure, go have a look before you leap.

Great reports, keep them coming. We will be up there July 17th-22nd. Last year we launched out of Port Alice and it worked out well. Nice dock, decent ramp, and lots of parking. We are thinking about trying Coal Harbour this year to try something different. Can anyone give us some feedback on Coal Harbour vs Port Alice? Also we will likely be arriving quite late at night on the 17th and either sleep in the boat on the trailer or more likely launch and go drop the hook so that we can make a run out early on the 18th to WH. What are the logistics for paying at Coal Harbour sometime between 9pm and 1am?

Never launched at Port Alice, wanna give it a try one day.
Coal harbour works, if it’s below a 3’ tide go on the gravel and launch. The ramp has to big of a drop off at low tide, the gravel doesn’t.
Need to sink the truck a bit but no big deal, give it a rinse after.
There won’t be anyone there at that time of night but leave a note on the dash and pay when you come back, just make sure you pay.
Great people that run the facility, remember to lock your doors, my partner didn’t lock my truck last year and I had everything ripped off.

Never launched at Port Alice, wanna give it a try one day.
Coal harbour works, if it’s below a 3’ tide go on the gravel and launch. The ramp has to big of a drop off at low tide, the gravel doesn’t.
Need to sink the truck a bit but no big deal, give it a rinse after.
There won’t be anyone there at that time of night but leave a note on the dash and pay when you come back, just make sure you pay.
Great people that run the facility, remember to lock your doors, my partner didn’t lock my truck last year and I had everything ripped off.
Thieves in Coal Harbour? What the hell is the island coming to. Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Port Alice is a pretty small town where everyone knows each other. I'm sure trouble shows up there too but I think you could leave your vehicle wide open and it would be fine.

Just FYI my truck window was smashed last week in Port Alice.

Do NOT like that report at all.
Hopefully just some stupid kid and not the ugly xenophobia that is cropping up in the smaller areas.
Getting tired of this ****, they all come to Campbell River and we are the hospital in the region, but smash your truck window if you are launching and leaving? BS!

Coal Harbour Launching: Shallow sloped ramp designed for float planes. Drop off at end of ramp is minimal if you get there at real low water. I've backed off of it many times, no problem. At any water level, when launching, back up, slam on brakes and voila, boat shoots off. Walkway next to ramp is terrible and does not reach far enough seaward at low water. If you are alone - walkway is none existent for launching and returning at low water. At low water I pull my boat to the beach after launching and jump in through the bow. There are photos on the internet of the ramp area. Try Google Earth. Port Hardy: NEVER back off the ramp concrete - next stop is China.

Coal Harbour Launching: Shallow sloped ramp designed for float planes. Drop off at end of ramp is minimal if you get there at real low water. I've backed off of it many times, no problem. At any water level, when launching, back up, slam on brakes and voila, boat shoots off. Walkway next to ramp is terrible and does not reach far enough seaward at low water. If you are alone - walkway is none existent for launching and returning at low water. At low water I pull my boat to the beach after launching and jump in through the bow. There are photos on the internet of the ramp area. Try Google Earth. Port Hardy: NEVER back off the ramp concrete - next stop is China.
What size boat are you usually launching?

Po
been launching there for years, what a drag. were you on the water side of the main road? Pt Alice town hall should know about this.

Port Alice opened case for my with RCMP.
When I call them the caps was already aware of the incident.

My buddy and I are making our first trip up to winter harbour on Tuesday/Wednesday. Very excited for the trip. We are thinking about launching at Coal Harbour or Port Alice. Where is there more options for parking? Any reports if the squidor bait is still there? I know it’s probably been tough to get out with amount of wind this summer. Any help would be Great!!!

Po

Port Alice opened case for my with RCMP.
When I call them the caps was already aware of the incident.

Did you get any resolve on this? I called the Town of PA today and had a great chat with a girl. They are aware of one issue last year and one this year. I am assuming you are the one incident this year. She indicated that one possibility was the person weed eating sent a rock towards your vehicle. I let her know where I found this info so she may track you down through this site and reach out to you. PA is a really cool old school town with a neat VI history. We like their facilities and would use them again but don't nobody wants to return to a damaged vehicle.

We haven't decided which community we will launch in yet. We have never been to Coal Harbour and seeing the narrows would be cool.

Did you get any resolve on this? I called the Town of PA today and had a great chat with a girl. They are aware of one issue last year and one this year. I am assuming you are the one incident this year. She indicated that one possibility was the person weed eating sent a rock towards your vehicle. I let her know where I found this info so she may track you down through this site and reach out to you. PA is a really cool old school town with a neat VI history. We like their facilities and would use them again but don't nobody wants to return to a damaged vehicle.

We haven't decided which community we will launch in yet. We have never been to Coal Harbour and seeing the narrows would be cool.

No resolution yet. After paying my deductible new glass was installed. Heading there on Monday hopefully no more surprises.

No resolution yet. After paying my deductible new glass was installed. Heading there on Monday hopefully no more surprises.
If you haven't spoken with the town office you should. They seemed quite interested in keeping their residents, and visitors safe.

Not sure if it would have made any difference, but Port Alice usually has a harbor manager looking after boats and vehicles during the summer months, but not this year since the village docks were closed down after being seriously damaged during a winter storm.

Beautiful morning here in Campbell River!
But I am really looking forward to arriving WH this Saturday!

Any reports? Wind, wave, weather, FISH!?!?
Long week ahead at work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back