2020 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure the gill netters did so well today.. I have had some great days even well the seiners are fishing the fish move out of the way from the nets.. when they are fishing in the day.. Night time a little different

Last edited:
not sure the gill netters did so well today.. I have had some great days even well the seiners are fishing the fish move out of the way from the nets.. when they are fishing in the day.. Night time a little different

Thanks for the report, I think I'll tow up and just try for the best on Thursday....been 3 or 4 years since I've had any sockeye on the bbq and in the smoker !

Glad the fishing is good this year I'm planning for thursday for a couple days, so much fun!
I was there for a week last year in June and there was no more than 20 fish caught at China Creek.
But DFO officers kept watch over every cooler that came up the dock every day I was there. When I talked
to them they knew there where no fish out there. DFO spending there budget and are tax dollars well.

View attachment 54618

the 2 to the left would be what i would use today at the fraser mouth ..one of the best hasnt been made for years I have only a couple left glow green head with or with out the strip down the side in the 175 colour..

The pink/black ones on the right are what you've been using the last couple days in the Inlet ?

View attachment 54618

the 2 to the left would be what i would use today at the fraser mouth ..one of the best hasnt been made for years I have only a couple left glow green head with or with out the strip down the side in the 175 colour..
Those are killer, bought a few packs at your store 6 years ago the 2 to the left like you said for Vancouver sox, the only ones i send down.. little snip snip here and there..

The inlet has slowed down considerably in the past 36 hours.
There are still a fish to be had but not like a few days ago.

The inlet has slowed down considerably in the past 36 hours.
There are still a fish to be had but not like a few days ago.

Figures, Its because I'm heading up tomorrow ! Did you still get your fish or has it really died off ? Is this the fallout from the commercial opening ?

Took us 20 minutes to get our 4 socks on the way back from the sound yesterday morning once we found the fish in front of China Creek. Size was pretty small compared to a Fraser sockeye, but I've never fished for socks in the inlet before.

Took us 20 minutes to get our 4 socks on the way back from the sound yesterday morning once we found the fish in front of China Creek. Size was pretty small compared to a Fraser sockeye, but I've never fished for socks in the inlet before.

Well that's all right....I wasn't planning to fish the Inlet at all this year, but I havnt had any sockeye in 3 or 4 years....I'd be happy with a few small ones, just hope there is a bit of bite tomorrow morning

Are these sockeye always this small? I fished here 15 years ago and I’m sure they were bigger.
I thought so too.
I am watching the Stamp river cameras and some look 3 times the size.
Maybe those are related to the size of net used in gill nets, only the big ones get caught? I really don't know though.
Do Sockeye return to the ocean sometimes?

The fish this year are small. They seem to be getting progressively smaller over the past 40 years.

Interesting sidenote that the test seine boat caught a 12 pound barracuda. I think this tells us that things are changing and the behaviour of specific runs like this are part of the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back