Who’s hoarding all the boat trailers.

dennisb

So if you own a boat, I’d assume you have a trailer to go along with it. I’m kinda sorta always looking to upgrade boats and am pretty surprised how many boats don’t have trailers. Where do they go? Is it really not worth owning a trailer if your boat is moored up at a marina?

if youre going to moor at a marina and dont have storage space at home why would you keep insurance, registration, license fees on the trailer and store the trailer which takes up a huge amount of room ? not to mention annual maint on the trailer and brake service and axle service etc etc.
they can sell the trailer or just buy a boat without a trailer in the first place. mooring at a marina is to get you away from the hassles of a trailer and launching process.

Nobody is hoarding trailers! Trailers rot out and need maintenance whether you haul a boat or just leave them parked. And you need a spot to store them all year long. That's a lot of headache if you leave your boat in a marina all year long

What size of trailer are you looking for. I am getting a bigger one in August so I will have a Highliner (TCL62-25) (22-25 ft / 6400lb boat max) that may be available for purchase.

I’m not needing a trailer. I personally just find it odd that a boat would sell and not have a trailer. Sometimes you find what you think is a pretty good deal on a boat And then at the bottom it says No Trailers.

If you don't have a trailer how do you do any maintenance to your boat? I have moored my boats plenty but I think I'll still pay the $55 a year so I can do the monthly stuff that needs doing on a moored boat. Personally I would never have a boat and not have a trailer

If you don't have a trailer how do you do any maintenance to your boat? I have moored my boats plenty but I think I'll still pay the $55 a year so I can do the monthly stuff that needs doing on a moored boat. Personally I would never have a boat and not have a trailer

Not everybody has that luxury of time/space/equipment. Maintenance is easy: pay the haul out fee and do the work yourself or pay the yard to do it for you. You're also assuming that everybody has a truck to pull the trailer.

So if you own a boat, I’d assume you have a trailer to go along with it. I’m kinda sorta always looking to upgrade boats and am pretty surprised how many boats don’t have trailers. Where do they go? Is it really not worth owning a trailer if your boat is moored up at a marina?

We live in a condo in port moody and moor at reed point. No room for the trailer and no time and no tow vehicle to launch so no need for the trailer.

Not everybody has that luxury of time/space/equipment. Maintenance is easy: pay the haul out fee and do the work yourself or pay the yard to do it for you. You're also assuming that everybody has a truck to pull the trailer.
well that is a good point....having never lived in an actual city I guess I don't have any perspective. how much does a haul out run you guys?

I’ve never owned a trailer for my 26 Hourston

RPM in Tofino had a fleet of trailers for those 29 Zodiac whale watching boats that mine fit on perfectly for moving and servicing. On the hard I have screw jack stands.
After reviewing the associated costs of maintenance on trailers of previous boats including needing a 1 ton truck I went in this direction including having a mid sized suv

I’m not needing a trailer. I personally just find it odd that a boat would sell and not have a trailer. Sometimes you find what you think is a pretty good deal on a boat And then at the bottom it says No Trailers.
Most trailers sold with boats are under the weight limit after a few accessories and a six pack of beer is added. Way better to buy a brand new disc brake trailer then pay a premium for two vehicles that need work because a used boat definitely does!

I've just moved our 26 Hourston from a dry storage deal on our trailer to an enclosed shed. I'm fine with extra maintenance below the waterline for the convenience of being able to jump in and go year round. Plus its spotless above the waterline...a haul out at lgm is like $150 each way and around 35 bucks a day so average 400 to 500 each haul out twice a year at a minimum. Right now our trailer is in the driveway but no way I would think about selling it off, way more convenient to have one than not, in my case. Just have to find somewhere to stash it in the lower mainland so my wife doesn't come flying into the driveway and stuff it through the garage!

For maintenance on an outboard, you can always do your bigger services before you put your boat in the water, and then do your regular oil changes this way.

I've just moved our 26 Hourston from a dry storage deal on our trailer to an enclosed shed. I'm fine with extra maintenance below the waterline for the convenience of being able to jump in and go year round. Plus its spotless above the waterline...a haul out at lgm is like $150 each way and around 35 bucks a day so average 400 to 500 each haul out twice a year at a minimum. Right now our trailer is in the driveway but no way I would think about selling it off, way more convenient to have one than not, in my case. Just have to find somewhere to stash it in the lower mainland so my wife doesn't come flying into the driveway and stuff it through the garage!
I just love to be able to whip down to the boat for a 2-3 hr stint @ tide change then get home for lawn cutting followed by happy hour

Back