2020 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Chinook salmon staying closed for the next couple of weeks, can someone inform me if any other salmon are being caught in the area? Coho?

I’m interested as well. I’m heading up there July 19-24. Campion explorer 602 with blue soft top. “Bolts” I’ll monitor 16 if anyone else is around and wants to chat.

It was the worst fishing that I have had in 20 years. Weather held us away from regular hot spots and it was 2 weeks ago things change. I hope things improve for your trip. Beautiful there regardless.

Making a trip go port McNeil August 1st for the second time in search of some salmon dont know the area at all can anyone help with some known fishing areas that I can build off from thanks. ⚓

Just back from Telegraph July 17-20. Goes something like this:
July 17, arrive 3pm, windy, fished 2 hours across from McNeill towards the lighthouse. 3 hits on anchovy, 1 ten pound spring to the boat
July 18, tow boat to Port Hardy, we make the crossing all the way to Bremner in my 18.5 footer, fishing is slow, bang our limit of nice Coho off, after leaving the pack of boats troll away from the crowd, did some donuts further south near shore, picked up a 26 pound and 19 pound spring
July 19, windy, fished around flower island and the strait... pinks pinks pinks, thats all we caught
July 20, fished back side of Malcom 11am-2pm... 3 coho and one spring that was max size limit. Released a spring that was low mid 20's

Decent trip, the wind wasnt as bad as forecast but kept us in some odd spots.

Side note. What is up with Telegraph Cove, we stayed at the suites and accidentally moored on the wrong dock the first night. Some management team harassed us into re-paying $38 for moorage. We had no idea there was 2 different docks, as the suites walk right down to them. They really have no personable skills and got right in our face. Was getting pretty messy. They definetly need signage and some courses in dealing with people - who could have been potential future customers.... hell with that now.
Saw Brendan Morrison there, he chose to use the Telegraph Resort boat launch... Not the Campground which is a newer launch... Iam guessing theres some tension there.

Just back from Telegraph July 17-20. Goes something like this:
July 17, arrive 3pm, windy, fished 2 hours across from McNeill towards the lighthouse. 3 hits on anchovy, 1 ten pound spring to the boat
July 18, tow boat to Port Hardy, we make the crossing all the way to Bremner in my 18.5 footer, fishing is slow, bang our limit of nice Coho off, after leaving the pack of boats troll away from the crowd, did some donuts further south near shore, picked up a 26 pound and 19 pound spring
July 19, windy, fished around flower island and the strait... pinks pinks pinks, thats all we caught
July 20, fished back side of Malcom 11am-2pm... 3 coho and one spring that was max size limit. Released a spring that was low mid 20's

Decent trip, the wind wasnt as bad as forecast but kept us in some odd spots.

Side note. What is up with Telegraph Cove, we stayed at the suites and accidentally moored on the wrong dock the first night. Some management team harassed us into re-paying $38 for moorage. We had no idea there was 2 different docks, as the suites walk right down to them. They really have no personable skills and got right in our face. Was getting pretty messy. They definetly need signage and some courses in dealing with people - who could have been potential future customers.... hell with that now.
Saw Brendan Morrison there, he chose to use the Telegraph Resort boat launch... Not the Campground which is a newer launch... Iam guessing theres some tension there.
Yes the new owners of the newer marina are difficult to deal with. I quit going there, since they jacked the price on moorage and the RV park, they are Americans and could care less if you have been going there since it was built.

What if they gifted it to you and you are transporting it from their house to yours?

Not just fishing--wondering how TC is doing in general? I haven't been up yet this year but will be there Aug 9 for 2 weeks with the family. Staying in the boardwalk cabins--the cool side of the cove of course, even if the docks are a bit wobbly. I hope the salmon bbq is running outside the Killer Whale cafe and the store has stock of beer and anchovies and ice cream cones. I'm sure the lack of international travellers will impact those businesses this summer, but I'm happy the resort is open and looking forward to spending some time there soon.

Fished telegraph July 20 to 24. Slow first few days
but the fish bite was on 23 and 24. Coho biting up high with downriver set 19 to 27 feet. Chinook bite was at 57 feet. Green spoons with silver or glow black flasher . Lots of pinks around as well. Fished usual locations around Malcolm islands and don’t forget to try Mitchell bay.
Chinook in the slot size are there with under and overs also caught. Once again enjoyed this beautiful area and the marine life that’s always there for viewing.

Sam n leo, the store is closed for renos, bring your own beer and bait, only ice cream at Hyde Creek. Fishing was great today 4 hours of fishing brought 2 Springs, 2 coho, 4 nice pinks, a halibut and 2 bl
Not just fishing--wondering how TC is doing in general? I haven't been up yet this year but will be there Aug 9 for 2 weeks with the family. Staying in the boardwalk cabins--the cool side of the cove of course, even if the docks are a bit wobbly. I hope the salmon bbq is running outside the Killer Whale cafe and the store has stock of beer and anchovies and ice cream cones. I'm sure the lack of international travellers will impact those businesses this summer, but I'm happy the resort is open and looking forward to spending some time there soon.

And a couple hundred prawns

Yes the new owners of the newer marina are difficult to deal with. I quit going there, since they jacked the price on moorage and the RV park, they are Americans and could care less if you have been going there since it was built.
Went in there the other day by water with my 18 footer and they wanted $12 to tie up for 2 hours. No thanks.

Have always wanted to do the trip up Discovery Passage/Johnstone Straight by boat right up to Telegraph Cove. Have been going to TC for years by driving up but this trip by boat has been on my mind for a long time. Looked like a good couple days of weather and wind was on the forecast so called up a good buddy of mine to see if he wanted to go for a long, cool boat ride with me Saturday/Sunday. We launched in Vancouver, boated up to Lund, then across the Straight to Campbell River, then up Discovery Passage to TC. Such a beautiful boat ride and amazing scenery along the way. Took us about 8.5 hrs going up cruising at 24 kn, and 7.5 hrs coming back cruising @ 28 kn . We only got out to fish for a couple hours the morning before heading back as we slept in (due to some heavy eating and some bevies the night we arrived :) ) It was more about the sight seeing trip for us than the fishing this trip. We stayed in a cabin on the boardwalk, had supper at the restaurant on the boardwalk and bevies at the pub on the boardwalk. Yes the General Store is closed for reno's, but the coffee shop was open at 8 am in the morning and the he has great breakfast wraps, some baked goods, and coffee/espresso's etc. Love the old school charm of TC and will keep coming back as long as it stays the way it is.

In the couple hours we fished we caught a bunch of Pinks, Coho, and my buddy lost a nice Spring. Spoons and Herring strip 60 to 84' on the riggers in 80 to 120' water. Pinks were everywhere and lot's of Coho. Fog of course as per usual up there was sittin' low in the morning but burned off with the sun. We talked with a few fishermen coming in while we were there and saw quite a few Springs, Coho, and Pinks coming in. Also saw some Killer Whale and Hump Backs out in the bay on Sunday morning.

Near Texada
20200725_115311.jpg

Savary Island
20200725_135316.jpg

Lund Marina/Hotel
20200725_140021.jpg

Crossing the Straight from Lund to Campbell River
20200725_150035.jpg

Entering Discovery Passage/Johnstone Straight
20200725_153406.jpg

North of Seymour Narrows/Ripple Rock
20200725_162019.jpg

Arriving at Telegraph Cove
20200725_185146.jpg

View over the marina from the boardwalk
20200725_191922.jpg

Supper at the restaurant on the boardwalk. Seafood Carbonara. Very good!
20200725_200031.jpg

Pub on the boardwalk
20200725_202119.jpg
To be continued....

Continued....
Whale museum on the boardwalk
20200725_202431.jpg

View down the boardwalk
20200725_203124.jpg

View down the boardwalk
20200725_203132.jpg

My buddy on the boardwalk
20200725_203809.jpg

General Store
20200725_204247.jpg

Coffee Shop
20200725_204306.jpg

Outside the General Store
20200725_204421.jpg

Sunset from the boardwalk
20200725_222436.jpg

Lines out for a couple hours in the sound
20200726_104715.jpg

My buddy who has never caught a Salmon before caught a bunch of Pinks, Coho and lost a nice Spring.
20200726_112605.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back