2020 Port Alberni and Alberni Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Planning on bringing my boat up to port alberni for the first time ever. Usually fish out of french creek with my old man. Just wondering if you guys troll the inlet in front of the somass or if its better to head up to china creek?

Thanks!! Very helpful. See ya next week! What were you chucking out there? What was the set up?
It’s a little tricky topic, the technique is well, more of a guiding the leader into an Sockeye’s open mouth as opposed to the fish going after your wool. It’s OK though, it provides an opportunity for recreational anglers without a boat to take home a fish to share with the family. The folks at Gone Fishin will set you up. Get there early. Harvest a fish and go home and marinate the dinner.

Hocking was hot today. A couple FN boats gillnetting the area. I "heard" gillnet opening tomorrow Pocohantas to Hocking.

Hocking was hot today. A couple FN boats gillnetting the area. I "heard" gillnet opening tomorrow Pocohantas to Hocking.

Unfortunate there is ya, I just looked it up...Pocohantas to Hocking 6am to 12pm, its a six hour opening so hopefully it doesnt wipe out the whole run.

You are mistaken.
This run used to go into August...

I’m just confused at how when over 100k have already been counted In River that a gill net opening in the ocean can wipe out the whole run? I thought they were taking a cautious approach this year?

Last edited:
I’m just confused at how when over 100k have already been counted In River that a gill net opening in the ocean can wipe out the whole run? I thought they were taking a cautious approach this year?

I didnt mean the "whole" run, more a figure of speech....I meant take out the run of fish that are in the area of the commercial opening.....which in turn will cause the sportfishing to dry up for a few days to a week. I'm planning to go up Thursday, so a commercial opening further up the inlet on Tuesday, could perceivable cause the fishing to be temporarily dried up or considerably slowed down two days later.

if running down from Bamfield where could a guy start fishing and have a chance at Sox

Been some great Sockeye fishing.. Pink black hoochies 33 to 90 ft ... :) If you have chance get out there. Fsh arent big but i will be bar qing some fresh stuff tonight :)

Curious on how many fish you catching deeper than 40 ft, I was out on the weekend and didn’t noticed many fish on my sounder deeper than 40 ft, hence I was mainly fishing 30-40 ft
Though in some past years, the biting fish have sometimes been deeper
Thanks

In my past years of sockeye fishing...I have had luck catching sockeyes in between 40 to 90 feet often. At times, fish go way deep 80 to 100 due to heatwave for days or avoid seine boats s netting.

It was amazing how many boats were into fish today near China Creek! Great to see the success.

On another note, we had a pair of very scrappy sockeye today that were also in the upper range of what I've ever seen for inlet sockeye.
When I filleted them I was struck by how much like chum they looked. Not as silver shiny as sockeye and the largest had the classic chum side bars.
Anyone else noticing this? The meat was the same colour as sockeye, and as firm.

How deep to the gill nets and purse seiners go? Yesterday I got most of my fish below 60 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back