Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening everyone!!!!
Heading back for trip #2 this year...
Killed it with Matt @ NIL mid june... limited out on lings and springs plus few under Halibuts for the boys.
Are they on the inside yet??? Camel rock? Hoist??
Beer can??? Coming back 9-13th with couple buddies that don’t go outside. Hoping to get em few springs inside.
Thanks everyone!!!
Tight line

Well I guess noone is out there???? Lol
We’ll just have to check the spots ourselves and hit lighthouse since that produced two weeks ago...
See ya soon Nootka!!!!

Well I guess noone is out there???? Lol
We’ll just have to check the spots ourselves and hit lighthouse since that produced two weeks ago...
See ya soon Nootka!!!!

There should be some fish on the inside but it will be hit and miss. You can probably troll up a spring or two at beer can, camel rock, Hoiss. If your guests get sea sick try just inside the lighthouse at dollys cove. just keep following the shoreline into the sound from the lighthouse and you have a good chance there as well. I will be out there from the 8-12 so will probably see you out there. I have a 24 kingfisher and boat name is RCRV.

Good luck!

I need to get back up there. I already owe the wife three holidays for all of my fishing trips lol. But she can't go anywhere out of the country due to Covid so I guess I have to just keep owing her more trips as I'm happy taking all of my vacations in BC :D

I am up there on Sunday night. I'll try to post something Monday depending on access to internet. It's a little early for the inside, but, with all the rain..... anything could happen. Not sure about you, but, each year to me it seems things have shifted a bit later in the cycle for inside the Sound with respect to any decent volume of fish. Pretty sure 10 years ago the first week of July we were killing it on the inside. We always get fish up there. Sometimes lots, sometimes just enough. Fish are just a bonus, being able to spend time in a spectacular part of the world like Nootka, is pretty special on its own.

Last edited:
I need to get back up there. I already owe the wife three holidays for all of my fishing trips lol. But she can't go anywhere out of the country due to Covid so I guess I have to just keep owing her more trips as I'm happy taking all of my vacations in BC :D
Dont wreck the drone... we need it later...

The theme for the year so far up in Esperanza has been wind. It has blown from the south, then the Southwest, Northwest now Southwest again. It has really limited where we have been able to get out to. Pin Rocks has often been as far as we can go. Sometimes Ferrer, and occasionally North to the Grassy area. There are fish in all those places, but no where has been red hot. Today there were a lot of boats at Ferrer with the South wind, it produced some fish to 22lbs, We had a 28 Lb fish caught up near Grassy island. Lots of Squid in the fish coming in, but most success seems to have been on coho killers or 3.0 spoons. Irish cream and cookies and cream have been popular colours.

Just another Nootka normal now, fish over 23lbs is a theme
The theme for the year so far up in Esperanza has been wind. It has blown from the south, then the Southwest, Northwest now Southwest again. It has really limited where we have been able to get out to. Pin Rocks has often been as far as we can go. Sometimes Ferrer, and occasionally North to the Grassy area. There are fish in all those places, but no where has been red hot. Today there were a lot of boats at Ferrer with the South wind, it produced some fish to 22lbs, We had a 28 Lb fish caught up near Grassy island. Lots of Squid in the fish coming in, but most success seems to have been on coho killers or 3.0 spoons. Irish cream and cookies and cream have been popular colours.

Appreciate the replies and we’ll put the time in as usual...
Yes it always is about Nootka!
Fishing being HELLA bonus
We do 4/5 trips a year up there and like CD keep getting deeper in the hole with the wives...

Just got back from Moutcha. Challenging wind/wave conditions made it very difficult to fish. There are some salmon around between Lighthouse and Maquinna but you really have to take a pounding to get them; 6-10ft swells at 3-4 sec with a nasty cross chop. We got a few springs every day; a couple in the mid 20s and a few mid teeners. Quite a few around 10#. There are some Coho up to 8# around too but very few and sporadic. White hootchie and very large herring spoons (AP) did the trick. Trolled up some small halis too which was welcome as there was no way to get further out to the regular hali spots in our size boats (18 and 19'). Lings were fantastic in the regular rockpile jigging spots. Let many larger lings around 20# go and rather kept a few smaller between 10 and 12#. Empty marina - little traffic - very strange compared to previous trips. Still had a great time but need a chiropracter now to put my spines back into the right places again. We saw a few jumpers inside near Camel and the odd boat doing a loop there with lines down but heard that it was long hours before even getting a single bite. The fishing inside never turned on before end of July. Always been that way since I can remember.

Had a great time last night out front. Lots of fish are moving in from Beano to the Lighthouse.

After the brutal winds we had last week it's very flat now.

The fish are stuffed with squid and tiny fish but still hunger. Out of 12 fish in the last two days 9 of them were on a 4" 632 classic Tomic plug. Not sure why with all the squid in the fish that I only caught 1 fish on rubber.

This week looks good for fishing anywhere you want as the wind is minimal .

Mike

4A24F40A-1F80-4492-BA9E-2952F2B9760E.jpeg

BE533A50-506D-4E47-8668-7CB41E108D76.jpeg

718CADC1-EA73-422F-84A7-D0E89324664F.jpeg

B3BEF671-E65E-40AA-AF5A-F2BF5F70F9AA.jpeg

AA567FAC-E8CB-41B1-86D6-F170782774FF.jpeg

SWC.jpg

Back last night.. finally cleaned up and fish all processed. As stated above weather was sloppy to say the least. Fishable but lumpy and confused seas. Arrived at Wash Rock approx noon on Wednesday. Fished till 5pm and landed 2 springs both approx 20lbs on the big Turd. Both fish were full of squid. Thursday am arrived on scene at Beano first boat there... and then 10 mins later 15 more boats arrived. Wasn’t a hot bite but a couple an hour approx.. landed 4 springs, snapped off three and lost one at the net. All 4 springs were 18-23lbs. Landed one hatchery Coho as well. Half and half on anchovy’s and the big turd. All full of squid again. Fished back at wash in the late afternoon and landed 2 more approx 20lbs.. one on a flash fly and one on the turd. Friday am first boat on scene at Beano again.. one fish right away 21lbs. Then pretty quiet.. lost one and missed a couple hits on anchovy’s that didn’t stick. Had to pull lines by 10am so we started trolling back towards Maquinna and just shy of there we landed a 28lb and a 22lb.. finished one shy of our possession limit.. threw back 4 6-8lb springs. Last two fish were on the flash fly. Everything was 42-55 feet. More fish arriving daily.. hardly saw any boats inside.. maybe max 15 boats at any one spot outside. Good luck to all.. heading back up July 27-31 for some big boys inside I hope.
SWC

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 54486 View attachment 54487 View attachment 54488 View attachment 54489 View attachment 54490 View attachment 54491 View attachment 54486 View attachment 54487 View attachment 54488 View attachment 54489 View attachment 54490 View attachment 54491 View attachment 54486 View attachment 54487 View attachment 54488 View attachment 54489 View attachment 54490 View attachment 54491 Back last night.. finally cleaned up and fish all processed. As stated above weather was sloppy to say the least. Fishable but lumpy and confused seas. Arrived at Wash Rock approx noon on Wednesday. Fished till 5pm and landed 2 springs both approx 20lbs on the big Turd. Both fish were full of squid. Thursday am arrived on scene at Beano first boat there... and then 10 mins later 15 more boats arrived. Wasn’t a hot bite but a couple an hour approx.. landed 4 springs, snapped off three and lost one at the net. All 4 springs were 18-23lbs. Landed one hatchery Coho as well. Half and half on anchovy’s and the big turd. All full of squid again. Fished back at wash in the late afternoon and landed 2 more approx 20lbs.. one on a flash fly and one on the turd. Friday am first boat on scene at Beano again.. one fish right away 21lbs. Then pretty quiet.. lost one and missed a couple hits on anchovy’s that didn’t stick. Had to pull lines by 10am so we started trolling back towards Maquinna and just shy of there we landed a 28lb and a 22lb.. finished one shy of our possession limit.. threw back 4 6-8lb springs. Last two fish were on the flash fly. Everything was 42-55 feet. More fish arriving daily.. hardly saw any boats inside.. maybe max 15 boats at any one spot outside. Good luck to all.. heading back up July 27-31 for some big boys inside I hope.
SWC

Great pics SWC.

Hello mike and saltwater cowboy

You guys rocked it !! looks like some really nice fish !! Was wondering a few things,Mike were you running the plug far back or in tight for the dinner bell to ring ??
Cool Pictures off ?? I won't say lol I was wondering g what flasher a lad might give it a go with a turd ?? I tend like Ive shared on the forums over the past years to troll really fast with rubber gear and spoons so just wondering what sog you guys like with the turd and plugs, thanks in advance !!

Tight Lines
Billydoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back