Hoochie talk.

AndrewH

Ok before anyone points it out, I took the pic BEFORE I pinched barbs...

Anyways do you guys switch up hook configuration for coho vs springs? I am going to head out soon for a chance at some coho but also heading over to Bamfield towards the end of July for springs.

The double is a pair of Owner 4/0 cutting points and the single on a swivel is a 5/0 Mustad ultrapoint (bead with toothpick is to set hook depth in hoochie)

Thoughts?

Attachments

• A8D9055B-C598-4042-8439-29DD90BB6678.png
    A8D9055B-C598-4042-8439-29DD90BB6678.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 463
Single looks good - but I would think you would want to use a straight shank siwash hook.
I don't know if running two hooks will get you more fish if the single hook is spaced to the back of the hooch. Two hooks can cause more damage to unders / fish you want to release.
I only use tandems on squirts for sockeye.

The rig on the right is what I run with 2 beads, 40 lb test leader and a single 4/0 siwash on a beefier swivel and it works great. I'm lazy so this is my program pretty much for everything except sockeye.

I run two 3/0 red Gamies 18" from my dodger never tried one on a flasher yet. Going to try it in a few weeks when I get time off shortly.

IMGP0250.jpg

Left 6/0 Eagle Claw Trokar and 6/0 Owner Cutting point if there are too many shakers around I cut off the stinger.

Right 6/0 Siwash from Pn&T with point turned in a little more

Both tied on 50# Ande Pink aka poor man's fluorocarbon.

Straight shank siwash 4/0 hook on a swivel. Always add tinsel to hoochie for extra glitter. Like aprox 32 in leader for both coho and chinook, more concerned with flasher hoochie action depending upon speed of boat and current. Less shaker hookups through their head/eyes with the single hook vs. tandems. Also fewer tangles in net, hand, clothes.

Ok before anyone points it out, I took the pic BEFORE I pinched barbs...

Anyways do you guys switch up hook configuration for coho vs springs? I am going to head out soon for a chance at some coho but also heading over to Bamfield towards the end of July for springs.

The double is a pair of Owner 4/0 cutting points and the single on a swivel is a 5/0 Mustad ultrapoint (bead with toothpick is to set hook depth in hoochie)

Thoughts?
Just loose the swivel and split ring and snell the single hook

IMGP0250.jpg

Left 6/0 Eagle Claw Trokar and 6/0 Owner Cutting point if there are too many shakers around I cut off the stinger.

Right 6/0 Siwash from Pn&T with point turned in a little more

Both tied on 50# Ande Pink aka poor man's fluorocarbon.

I like the multiple yellow beads. Is this for extra colour? Or just distancing of hook from hootchie? Or both?

Cheers

Straight shank siwash 4/0 hook on a swivel. Always add tinsel to hoochie for extra glitter. Like aprox 32 in leader for both coho and chinook, more concerned with flasher hoochie action depending upon speed of boat and current. Less shaker hookups through their head/eyes with the single hook vs. tandems. Also fewer tangles in net, hand, clothes.
If you want your hoochies to really dance use a needlefish size grand Slam bucktail inside.

I like to run the single hook on a swivel or bead chain. Then I run a glow bead and a chink of glow tubing to set how far back you want the hook. I will grab a picture if I get to the boat today!

Beads, swivel and siwash. I run the siwash back pretty far.
Seen guys run tandem trebles from a anchovy rig with success.

Back