Hali combos? (for once a year guy)

AndrewH

Heading over to Bamfield in a few weeks for a potentially annual trip depending on local regs. I have ZERO hali gear so need to get set up without spending a load of cash.

Since I will be using it for basically one trip a year, does anyone have any suggestions in terms of quality gear or combo kits?

Just your regular salmon rod will work, it's nice to have a hali rod for the heavy weights if there's current on the drift. If you want to save yourself money troll them up on your salmon gear just drag the bottom it's quite effective. Big hali take some finesse on a salmon rod but they come up no problem :) And if you can't raise them up on a salmon rod then it's oversize anyhow.

If you really want the set up a cheap and good quality for the buck is the Penn Squall hali combo. I have some of those and they have stood the test of time even better than some of the much more expensive reels I've had over the years.

Last edited:
Just your regular salmon rod will work, it's nice to have a hali rod for the heavy weights if there's current on the drift. If you want to save yourself money troll them up on your salmon gear just drag the bottom it's quite effective. Big hali take some finesse on a salmon rod but they come up no problem :) And if you can't raise them up on a salmon rod then it's oversize anyhow :)

If you really want the set up a cheap and good quality for the buck is the Penn Squall hali combo. I have some of those and they have stood the test of time even better than some of the much more expensive reels I've had over the years.
Hard to beat the price.

I have pulled-in up to 75# on a mooching rod with 20# line. Trolling is the way to go. Flasher/large hoochie.

Heading over to Bamfield in a few weeks for a potentially annual trip depending on local regs. I have ZERO hali gear so need to get set up without spending a load of cash.

Since I will be using it for basically one trip a year, does anyone have any suggestions in terms of quality gear or combo kits?

Some times it’s nice to have a dedicated unit. Since I don’t fish Hali much (I live in Nanaimo) I was going to buy this at Cabela’s... It’s not great but for the occasional few fish a year it should hold up just fine. I got a good deal on some used stuff and went that way instead. So I can’t vouch for it but with specs and feel I knew it would do the job. I‘m not sure where your planning to go but definitely listen to what UclueletCharters is saying. Many people have brought up Hali’s this way at big bank and others places like it.

A lot of old timers use to use the old Peets reels and rods to bring them up. Also I know there was a old timer out in Bamfeild. I’m not sure if he’s still with us but he hand lined halibut. So you definitely have a few options. From possibly free to a few bucks. I chose to get a dedicated unit because I enjoy the engine off and jigging. Trolling works well though and some may prefer that way. Just be prepared it’s hard work some times jigging for hali on a salmon set up.. But all in all Hali fishing doesn’t need to be a big costly complicated thing. But it does seem the more dedication and the more you put into it. The more you will see and get back!

Good luck and enjoy!! I’m definitely Jealous as my boats out of commission right now at the worst possible time.. I grew up in Ukee and I’m definitely missing my home waters.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/94621/penn-rival-levelwind-conventional-combo

Trolling them up is always effective as mentioned above. Not sure what kind of boat your running but have had good success on salmon gear with 10oz weight on a slider and whole herring backing into the current/wind.

Some times it’s nice to have a dedicated unit. Since I don’t fish Hali much (I live in Nanaimo) I was going to buy this at Cabela’s... It’s not great but for the occasional few fish a year it should hold up just fine. I got a good deal on some used stuff and went that way instead. So I can’t vouch for it but with specs and feel I knew it would do the job. I‘m not sure where your planning to go but definitely listen to what UclueletCharters is saying. Many people have brought up Hali’s this way at big bank and others places like it.

A lot of old timers use to use the old Peets reels and rods to bring them up. Also I know there was a old timer out in Bamfeild. I’m not sure if he’s still with us but he hand lined halibut. So you definitely have a few options. From possibly free to a few bucks. I chose to get a dedicated unit because I enjoy the engine off and jigging. Trolling works well though and some may prefer that way. Just be prepared it’s hard work some times jigging for hali on a salmon set up.. But all in all Hali fishing doesn’t need to be a big costly complicated thing. But it does seem the more dedication and the more you put into it. The more you will see and get back!

Good luck and enjoy!! I’m definitely Jealous as my boats out of commission right now at the worst possible time.. I grew up in Ukee and I’m definitely missing my home waters.

hand lining halibut.... my old man used to talk about this. swears the hand liners would out fish the rod and reel guys. seems like a sweet way to lose a finger or two

hand lining halibut.... my old man used to talk about this. swears the hand liners would out fish the rod and reel guys. seems like a sweet way to lose a finger or two

Oh absolutely! I always cringe when I watch fishing shows down in Mexico. Where once the fish is close enough they start wrapping the line around there hand :eek:... not something I would do. Loss of fingers or getting dragged into the water does not sound fun to me..

But I guess I can see how it would be more productive. As you probably feel those slight bites a lot more. Where fishing with a rod the rod itself probably soaks some of that up or we excuse it to the swell or current. But all in all it’s a proven technique, and apparently quite productive! So I thought it was worth a mention to the O/P. To let them know there is many ways to catch them. Plus it’s a method that works and is relatively inexpensive.. but definitely not a method for the faint of heart lol. :D

Oh absolutely! I always cringe when I watch fishing shows down in Mexico. Where once the fish is close enough they start wrapping the line around there hand :eek:... not something I would do. Loss of fingers or getting dragged into the water does not sound fun to me..

But I guess I can see how it would be more productive. As you probably feel those slight bites a lot more. Where fishing with a rod the rod itself probably soaks some of that up or we excuse it to the swell or current. But all in all it’s a proven technique, and apparently quite productive! So I thought it was worth a mention to the O/P. To let them know there is many ways to catch them. Plus it’s a method that works and is relatively inexpensive.. but definitely not a method for the faint of heart lol. :D
I grew up hand lining them with a big Norwegian cod jig, some octopus for bait, 100 lb mono and a piece of plywood to wrap the line around. Used to be bigger fish around back then..... if I could do it as a teenager I’m sure a grown man could do it now.....

I remember the first time I took a Newfie buddy out Halibut fishing. Said he had all his own gear and had fished for halibut back home quite a bit. Thought great as I was fairly new to Halibut fishing.
Pick him up in the morning at his girlfriends house and he's got his lunch bag and jacket and that's it. Thought to myself guess he didn't go home and get his gear, o'well I've got lots of rods and gear we are good to go and don't say anything. Get out fishing and start getting the gear out and he pulls out his lunch bag and it's his hand line and big cod jig. He's looking at me and me at him and we both say "what the hell is that". All he knew was hand lining and me rod and reel. Got 3 Halibut that day, 2 on the hand line and 1 on the rod. We still laugh about that day.

Tyee Marine has a good sale on a Shimano Talora which is a very good rod I personally like as its works great for jigging and bait fishing not a super stiff broom handle. https://tyeemarine.ca/product/shimano-talora-halibut-bottomfish-rod-in-canada/
Penn Squalls are pretty decent I like a lever drag and a level wind in the same reel unfortunatly they only offer these seperate....price is a bit more ....personal preference and budget will help you deceide.
https://tyeemarine.ca/product/penn-squall-level-wind-fishing-reel-inn-canada/
https://tyeemarine.ca/product/penn-squall-lever-drag-fishing-reel-in-canada/

Harbor chandler has some great deals on the Okuma Salish rod although I have never tried one myself but the price is right!!
https://www.harbourchandler.ca/shop/fishing/rods/halibut-rods/okuma-salish-66-jigging-rod/
https://www.harbourchandler.ca/shop...vel-wind-miscellaneous/okuma-convector-cv30l/

Spool them up with 65 or 80lb braid and you will have a great set up.

Back