Dog fish near Vancouver

Dragos

Good day everyone
My dad is stuck here due to travel restrictions to the old country. He is an avid fisherman and I would love to give him the opportunity to brag about catching something such exotic like a “ shark “ when he sees his friends
I do have a boat ( 23 ft Striper) and the fishing gear. I don’t have the “ know-how” ( location, baits, technique). If it’s not a big secret I would really appreciate any advice to put me in right direction and make my old man proud and happy
Thank you in advance
D

Anywhere in the harbour deeper than 60’ , any weight, herring , anchovy , heavy or steel leader , you are in buisness. Or cross the strait for a lingcod

Should be able to find them most anywhere. Drop a baited hook down near the bottom
Anywhere in the harbour deeper than 60’ , any weight, herring , anchovy , heavy or steel leader , you are in buisness. Or cross the strait for a lingcod

Yup that about sums it up. Any bait not moving too fast. If you haven't caught them before watch out for the spine, they really like to twist up and try to impale you or break off the line once they wrap it all around themselves.

Thank you
No , I haven’t caught any yet and I really appreciate the safety advice. Do I find a spot and I anchor there or do I let the boat drift?
Much appreciated
D

One day we were bored after setting some traps off the north arm so went into 50 feet of water put a salmon spoon down near the bottom and just drifted. Just left it in the rod holder dangling.

Was about 5 mins before a dogfish hit it

Thank you
No , I haven’t caught any yet and I really appreciate the safety advice. Do I find a spot and I anchor there or do I let the boat drift?
Much appreciated
D
If you have a comfy kicker setup or don't mind being at the helm then yah a slow troll will cover more ground and give you more action. Slow though like 2mph. Straight off the North arm in 80'-100' should do the trick.

Some mud sharks get huge I remember fishing off gambier new brighton in a boat as a teenager. my buddy and I got this mud shark that was absolutely massive and was bashing its head against the side of the boat and eventually snapped the line and we were using wire leader. so could of been knot fatigue. Hooked a few off the QA buoy last summer. so shouldnt be too hard you can troll with herring in a teaser head and flasher or just cut them into pieces and bottom bounce.

Back