Anyone Know Why A Steering Helmet Would Sheer Off?

Had this happen to my Volvo 290 DPE. Pins sheared off - well almost off. Steering was laboured big time. Replaced helmut ($1500) plus about 6 hours labour. Much better. Seems that all is accessible from the leg side.

Still waiting for insurance. Drove by today and saw the milky gear oil coming out of the port side drive. More fun.

Ugh, that sucks. Hope you get it all back together in time for your vacation.

I bet a pod with a couple of outboards is looking better by the day, eh?
Other than the 100k it would cost and the ridiculous fuel bills? It sure is lol. At that point I'd be better off starting fresh with something lighter.

Other than the 100k it would cost and the ridiculous fuel bills? It sure is lol. At that point I'd be better off starting fresh with something lighter.

Well yeah, obviously! I'm just a keyboard cowboy dreaming about boats and how other people should spend their money! My single 250hp burns a fair bit of fuel, so I could only imagine what twins would be like with a slower speed/longer transit time.

Well yeah, obviously! I'm just a keyboard cowboy dreaming about boats and how other people should spend their money! My single 250hp burns a fair bit of fuel, so I could only imagine what twins would be like with a slower speed/longer transit time.
That's just it. I don't want to go slower than 30 so I'd probably need three of those being 15000lbs :eek:

If the bill to insurance is nearing new leg territory do you have the option to do a cash settlement and go that route? Seems that claim is taking a long time to process, hope they get it dialed in fast. Sounds like a reseal on the other drive too bummer.

If the bill to insurance is nearing new leg territory do you have the option to do a cash settlement and go that route? Seems that claim is taking a long time to process, hope they get it dialed in fast. Sounds like a reseal on the other drive too bummer.
Not a chance it's even close to new drive territory. I believe that's a 25k job per side!

My brand new volvo dps drive was 12,000 plus 2,000 for new props. May want to ask Greg his opinion.

Where do all the barnacles come from? I was just down there picking up my trailer and saw the boat, looking good beyond the transom.

Still waiting for insurance. Drove by today and saw the milky gear oil coming out of the port side drive. More fun.
Very slow these days. I paid $15K out of pocket for a new outdrive three weeks ago and still no reimbursement from my insurance, despite the fact that the mechanic and adjuster both seemed to think it is a pretty straightfoward claim.

Very slow these days. I paid $15K out of pocket for a new outdrive three weeks ago and still no reimbursement from my insurance, despite the fact that the mechanic and adjuster both seemed to think it is a pretty straight forward claim.

Good point, reminds me I did the same, just paid for a new leg and never really considered making a claim. The only reason insurance knew about it was I phoned it in after the incident because I was way up Bute Inlet and I wasn't sure I could make it home without a tow. That VP drive is a tough SOB and I ran it for 30 more hours but the vibration got worse so I called PCM, asked for a new drive to be ordered and ripped back to town where they installed it in a few hours and I was gone again. The insurance surveyor must get paid based on closed claims as he was on me for months, it was weird...and I had already given the drive away. In the end I had a $16,000 bill for a new DPS drive + new F3's and they cut me a cheque for $12,000.

Back