Gold River boat launch

Guess we shouldn’t make snap judgements, myself included , most people are good .
I would say when I’m on my annual trip half the people at Critter are American and are decent folks
Go Donald 2 terms

Just came back from a trip to Nootka.... Launched at Gold River on Monday, came back today... Didn’t see a single U.S. registered vehicle, trailer, or boat either at the ramp or on the water... Definitely none with flattened tires... Fake news, didn’t happen..

Hi guys, I know there is a lot of frustration regarding the boat launch but because it is owned by the Mowachaht/Muchalat they control when it opens. The town and chamber have been answering questions as best as they can but they too are in the dark as to when it may open. I do know they have done a lot of work to the parking area and that when it opens it will look different.

Here is their contact info if you want to call them as there website is very outdated:
Phone:250-283-2015
Toll free: 1-800-293-2388
Uhhh...it’s been open for about a week...

103546353_3153370998041830_7516958726153125820_n.jpg

Does anyone know how much it’s to launch the boat and park per day? Also, is it ok to sleep in the boat at the parking?
Thanks for the help

just looking ahead at the tide levels on the day i’m launching and of course, it’s a wicked low tide for our approximate arrival.Does anyone remember how low it can go and still be launchable? i have a DE 185. i should remember but i’m drawing a blank. thx

just looking ahead at the tide levels on the day i’m launching and of course, it’s a wicked low tide for our approximate arrival.Does anyone remember how low it can go and still be launchable? i have a DE 185. i should remember but i’m drawing a blank. thx
You will be able to float that off the trailer and get down the channel with a 3 ft tide....

The actual launch area is pretty deep. It’s when you get down the channel/river a bit where things get dicey. Particularly on the east side of the channel just out from the launch. As said, 3 feet should be fine. I’ve launched my 23 footer in 3 feet and it was fine. But, every year things seem to shift around and sentiment can change things a bit. One year I made an error and launched in less than 3 feet. I lifted the motor and let the river drag me out. A real close call not to be repeated.

Does anyone know how much it’s to launch the boat and park per day? Also, is it ok to sleep in the boat at the parking?
Thanks for the help
20$ to launch and 15$ per night. The annual parking pass is 250$ covers launch and parking. I'm sure you could sleep In your boat on the trailer.

I'm sure your 60 yo Dad would appreciate having a bathroom in the morning like i do now

The actual launch area is pretty deep. It’s when you get down the channel/river a bit where things get dicey. Particularly on the east side of the channel just out from the launch. As said, 3 feet should be fine. I’ve launched my 23 footer in 3 feet and it was fine. But, every year things seem to shift around and sentiment can change things a bit. One year I made an error and launched in less than 3 feet. I lifted the motor and let the river drag me out. A real close call not to be repeated.

yes and don’t forget the big butt boulder by the plane dock. it’s like 1 1/2 feet or something like that the day i arrive. can you still drive the trailer off the end of the ramp or has that been fixed as well?

yes and don’t forget the big butt boulder by the plane dock. it’s like 1 1/2 feet or something like that the day i arrive. can you still drive the trailer off the end of the ramp or has that been fixed as well?
Not sure on that one. Never done it, hope not to.

I saw a well known poacher American out there last week. He stays for 2 months per year at Tuta Marina and sells his catch in Washington. Tinman. We reported him to DFO. American residents cannot obtain fishing licenses so he is fishing illegally, just like he catches more than his 10 per year as he is usually fishing alone. Americans coming up and fishing illegally is happening for sure, just be sure to report the boats with no registration or WA on them. Have not heard anything about tires being slashed though in GR.

I saw a well known poacher American out there last week. He stays for 2 months per year at Tuta Marina and sells his catch in Washington. Tinman. We reported him to DFO. American residents cannot obtain fishing licenses so he is fishing illegally, just like he catches more than his 10 per year as he is usually fishing alone. Americans coming up and fishing illegally is happening for sure, just be sure to report the boats with no registration or WA on them. Have not heard anything about tires being slashed though in GR.
YES! Multiple reports get action from the DFO!

FYI, I was told today that the right side dock At Gold River is for launching and left side for retrieval. (Looking down the ramp). I’ve been asking for years and was always told use whatever is not in use. No signage and no one said a word when we launched and paid 6 days ago. New rule I guess.

Last edited:
FYI, I was told today that the right side dock At Gold River is for launching and left side for retrieval. (Looking down the ramp). I’ve been asking for years and was always told use whatever is not in use. No signage and no one said a word when we launched and paid 6 days ago. New rule guess.
Signs are in next years budget???? o_OLol

Back