Eating Your Catch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain City

Crew Member
So clearly everyone does this but isn't it illegal? Maybe just one of those things we're not supposed to plaster all over the internet?

Im not sure I understand? Are u suggesting its illegal to eat fish youve legally caught?

Im not sure I understand? Are u suggesting its illegal to eat fish youve legally caught?
No like if you're on a trip and you catch your limit in the morning, eat one for lunch and then go back out and get another one because you're now no longer in "possession" of that fish.

No like if you're on a trip and you catch your limit in the morning, eat one for lunch and then go back out and get another one because you're now no longer in "possession" of that fish.
But if you recorded your catch correctly on your licence youd still be tubbed out for the day and unable to legally retain another fish.

I suppose it gets a little less clearcut for species that dont require documentation.

I would also argue that if you go out and catch your limit in the morning, no matter what you fill your belly with at lunchtime youve probably killed enough fish for the day.

We go to the West Coast annually.
Usually we catch a little ping pong hali.
We keep it as an under for one of us that day and mark our licence.
We eat it that night and for breakfast the next day.
We try and fish the rest of the trip, so we come back with an over and an under each.
We do not go home to our residence in between.

My take, daily limits always apply, but once eaten, they are not counted towards your multi day possession limit.

you can't catch 4 sockeye eat them all and then catch 4 more. Daily limits still apply to eaten food.
So isn't that why the rule is you must transport your catch to your regular place of residence so there's no grey area? Like you can't pressure can fish whatsoever while away for this reason.

So isn't that why the rule is you must transport your catch to your regular place of residence so there's no grey area? Like you can't pressure can fish whatsoever while away for this reason.
There are rules to how it is transported to your residence not that it must be transported to your residence. Once you can or cut up fish you can tell how many fish there are and/or how big they are. Gong Show has posted the most correct answer in my opinion.

Those rules were imposed years ago because people would literally set up their own personal smokeshacks and canneries at fish camps and kill/can/smoke as much as they could. Your daily limit is a static number and has nothing to do with the fish you eat during the course of the day. The possession limit is generally twice the daily limit (though not always).

As a hypothetical, lets say youre on a week long fishing trip, and you tub out the first 2 days. Your possession limit has been reached. In order to retain any fish legally on the 3rd day you would have to eat some of whats in your possession. Alternatively you could drive the fish home to your legal residence and clear your possession limit. If the fish isnt at your legal residence its still considered part of your possession limit.

For example while on a trip

1. day catch 4 sockeye eat 4 sockeye
2. second day catch 4 put on ice
3. third day catch 4 put on ice

return home with possession limit of 8 salmon.

For example while on a trip

1. day catch 4 sockeye eat 4 sockeye
2. second day catch 4 put on ice
3. third day catch 4 put on ice

return home with possession limit of 8 salmon.
So what's stopping someone from dropping all their fish off at the processor and having at it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back