2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah food fish. With american and canadian built hydraulics and gillnets. Very traditional methods for food fishing.

What about the beach seining?

Mini seining?

I like how food fishing requires an 18 wheel truck and a boom lift
Well,as stocks continue to decline...the finger can’t possibly be pointed at sport fisherman. Who is responsible for habitat restoration....and who will be continuing to overfish the stocks.....

And the natives will have their nets strung all the way up to chilliwack.

I'm claiming Canative Status!

They cant close area 29-3 and 4. That would mean the entire straight. Thrasher sandheads etc etc

New boundary line gower pt to southern tip of valdes. East of that no fishing for chinook until september, west of that august 1 chinook per day 80cm max

Anyone else notice that they say "no fishing for chinook" but everywhere else is says no retention? Does this mean total closure? Or even more stupidity on their part?
Screenshot_20200619-203359_Chrome.jpg

Anyone else notice that they say "no fishing for chinook" but everywhere else is says no retention? Does this mean total closure? Or even more stupidity on their part?
View attachment 53950

reading through the fine print, I’m quite sure they’re just referring to the banana here. Looks like outside the banana is open for retention of 1 Chinook under 80 cm in August. I’m gonna need a longer bonker.

reading through the fine print, I’m quite sure they’re just referring to the banana here. Looks like outside the banana is open for retention of 1 Chinook under 80 cm in August. I’m gonna need a longer bonker.
Did you look at the map? Or are saying the map is way off? The banana doesn't extend into harbor like the hatched area on the map shows.

Nope. It extends all the way across the straight. From Gibsons right across to the South tip of Valdes.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 9.53.51 PM.png

Did you look at the map? Or are saying the map is way off? The banana doesn't extend into harbor like the hatched area on the map shows.
Going off this page http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...EUASB_PqXt81_wnSSfQ8_c4yRb93pfxYyEa7AGcFltpc4

says areas 29-3 to 29-5 are open Aug 1 for 1 per day under 80 cm. I didn’t check to see if they changed the boundaries, but this was always the area outside the banana. Didn’t see anywhere that they changed the boundaries so hopefully I’m not wrong.

Going off this page http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/...EUASB_PqXt81_wnSSfQ8_c4yRb93pfxYyEa7AGcFltpc4

says areas 29-3 to 29-5 are open Aug 1 for 1 per day under 80 cm. I didn’t check to see if they changed the boundaries, but this was always the area outside the banana. Didn’t see anywhere that they changed the boundaries so hopefully I’m not wrong.
Nope. You are only reading part of the notice. Read the part in brackets. It reads: "(with the exception of those portions of Areas 28 and 29 listed below), and Subarea 29-8:"
And those exceptions are: "
  • April 1 to Aug 31: No fishing for chinook
  • Sept 1 to Dec 31: 2 chinook per day
As shown by the hatched marked areas very clearly.

Nope. It extends all the way across the straight. From Gibsons right across to the South tip of Valdes.

View attachment 53951
Ya, I saw that but scroll down further to where it talks about the southern straight. I think that map you posted refers to now through the end of July.

Strait of Georgia – South and Juan de Fuca
Areas 18, Subareas 19-3 to 19-12, Subareas 20-3 to 20-7, Area 28 and Subareas 29-3 to 29-5 (with the exception of those portions of Areas 28 and 29 listed below), and Subarea 29-8:

• April 1 to July 31: No retention of chinook
  • Aug 1 to Aug 31: 1 chinook per day, max 80 cm
  • Sept 1 to Dec 31: 2 chinook per day

And if you read the actual full bulletin with the coordinates here's where it gives the gps.... as I mentioned above ie Gibsons (Gower Pt) to bottom of Valdes..

Cut and paste from the official Fisheries bulletin #FN0565

"Portions of Southern Strait of Georgia, Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet – Subareas 28-7 to 28-9; that portion of Subarea 28-2 that lies southerly of a line drawn due east
from Halkett Point on Gambier Island (49 26.735’N, 123 19.302’W) to a point (49 26.550’N, 123 14.317’W) on the mainland corresponding with the southeast point of the
Lions Bay RCA; and those portions of 29-3 to 29-5 that lie east of a line from Gower Point (49 23.021’N, 123 32.166’ W) near Gibsons to Shah Point on the southern tip
of Valdes Island (49 01.695’N, 123 35.721’W)"

Seriously. Block something. Make a stand. This is crap. First nations already said theyd ont want a sport fishery and that it's taking away from their aboriginal food. I call bull ****. I call bull **** everytime I have my jet boat up the harrison in the fall. Watching them load 50ft trucks with totes. Even on sockeye low fish count years. Year after year. Watching them Seine in oysoyoos lake when those fish are in their spawning beds. Watching them bonk sturgeon. Watching them bonk anything that touches their net. I gillnetted for a while. I've seen that **** even then. Rant not over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back