2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an encounter with a commercial prawner at HITW. I was trolling north of sunset I seen the prawn boat pulling traps I pass and continue on my way. I'm about 1km away and the same boat catches up to me like 20 minutes later. And I'm close to shore maybe 280ft of water. The guy parallels me and im heading to the point. He cuts his course across me from my left. I guess I should of make a 180 towards shore.

I turned left just because I wanted to maybe stay out a bit. Then sure enough my downriggers catch their line almost rips the downrigger off the gunnel. Bent the boom slightly was about to reverse and save the cannon balls and clips but lost a flasher and spoon. I realize he's a commercial boat but he went across my port side. Absolutely vicious when I'm doing 4km/hr. Always give way to the bigger boat but next time I know better turn towards shore.

Had an encounter with a commercial prawner at HITW. I was trolling north of sunset I seen the prawn boat pulling traps I pass and continue on my way. I'm about 1km away and the same boat catches up to me like 20 minutes later. And I'm close to shore maybe 280ft of water. The guy parallels me and im heading to the point. He cuts his course across me from my left. I guess I should of make a 180 towards shore.

I turned left just because I wanted to maybe stay out a bit. Then sure enough my downriggers catch their line almost rips the downrigger off the gunnel. Bent the boom slightly was about to reverse and save the cannon balls and clips but lost a flasher and spoon. I realize he's a commercial boat but he went across my port side. Absolutely vicious when I'm doing 4km/hr. Always give way to the bigger boat but next time I know better turn towards shore.
Was BAY SPIRIT the name of the boat?

coming along and setting gear while your trolling bit harsh and if he knowing cuts over you ...
that's why i carry a nice big meat chopper would soon sort the ground line out ...

Thanks for sharing guys. Will give it a go Friday around Bowen will report back.
Fished south Bowen today all day from 8 till 2 hooked up with 11 fish all day lots of juvies but did hook up with 4 nice chinooks had to be in mid teens, everyone came by to ensure I was releasing them, lol don't even have a net in my boat just a gaff for quick flip off to enjoy another day. No bananas and cop car was the big temptation today all at 110' on wire.

This is probly needing to go into another thread , however..

How come people can form militias and protest over other human rights but us lazy butt sports fisherman dont?

Maybe if every boat came into the harbour and blocked the harbour and we refused to leave until the minister clarifies the situation and admits she knows nothing about the facts or the data and stands up to the first nations?

Little mini protest at the ministers office last year didnt do squat. The stupid slogan was was off topic from the real issue. What a bunch of idiots we all are for tolerating such crap. These people in government work for us tax payers. This is not a dictatorship. This is not china. This is canada. And the tax payer employs the ones in government

Go Canada!

https://stockhouse.com/news/press-r...to-address-threats-to-struggling-fraser-river

Anyone else have some better intel? Am I reading this right? No retention in southern georgia strait until Aug 1 and no retention at all in August off the mouth of Fraser? Someone please correct me.

sure sounds like it, but I haven’t seen any other announcements or DFO publications to support the below...also the comments re FN openings disturb me.

“Recreational fisheries in Southern BC will not be permitted to retain Chinook until July 15th in most areas and August 1st in the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Southern Strait of Georgia given the higher prevalence of endangered Fraser Chinook. A maximum size limit of 80cm will also be in place in southern BC recreational fisheries through July/August depending on area. Portions of the southern Strait of Georgia, Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet, covering an area off the mouth of the Fraser River, will also be closed to fishing for Chinook though August, to further reduce mortalities on stocks of concern.”

Sorry guys back to reports!

And the natives will have their nets strung all the way up to chilliwack.

I'm claiming Canative Status!

They cant close area 29-3 and 4. That would mean the entire straight. Thrasher sandheads etc etc

Last edited:
Looks like I’ll have more company in area 18! Sad day for you my mainlands bros. Makes my slot I should be pissed about seem like a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back