Spreader bar alternatives?

RiverBoy

I was watching a show on tv the other day and David Murphy was showing his home made hali rig. He didn’t show it very well, but from what i could gather he is using a 2lb weight which is sliding between two swivels or something? then a big butt piece of mono? anybody see this before? any diagrams? i hate using spreader bars and would love trying out an alternative. thanks!

I just use a swivel with quick snap feed line through swivel put on a bead tie on main swivel then leader below that I’ll take a pic tomorrow if you want

Tie a "T" with 80lb mono. 6" to a swivel, 6" to a swivel and clip for your weight and 12" to your swivel and clip for your leader. Use just like a spreader bar with less junk.

2lb slider on the main line. swivel, 4' piece of 150 lb test leader. J hook first, treble as the "trailer" 1' apart.

i cant remember the name of the slider that river guys use.. i used to use them but found they would wear too quickly. i just use a quick connect right on the main line.
if the hali flat runs along the bottom the weight wont snag and rip the hooks out its mouth.
when they are laying on the bait and flipping it around to swallow the weight lays on the bottom with no resistance. as soon as i get a tap i start feeding line. let em swallow it and swim away for a bit. apply drag and set the hook. very different than circle hook style. yes more gut hooks, but i am there to catch.

IMO 80# is too light for this - 150-200 more like it.
It's not a single line to each. It's a loop to each swivel. Really stiffens it up. I've only ever used this for lings though I've never actually anchored up for Hali

Mainline down to clip swivel. Clip swivel onto barrel swivel where a 10" section of Gagnon line has your sliding swivel "trapped" on that line by two overhand knots above and below the slide swivel. Make the sliding area about 3-4". At the end of the Gagnon tie on another clip swivel that goes onto your 100/120 mono leader line to your hook/hooks. If you use circle hooks use a perfection loop knot and make sure you feed the line through the eye going in from the point of the hook into the eye. This way when there is any pressure on the line from you or the fish taking the bait the circle hook will turn into and dig into the fish and not away from it. If you feed the line through the eye towards the point from the opposite direction when you tie the perfection loop knot the hook will be pulled away from setting rather than into the fish to help set it. You'll find you have much more hook ups this way.

Any pics of these setups would be greatly appreciated. It can be difficult to picture what you guys are saying. for me anyways.

I usually run 80lb braid 8ft top shot 60lb mono and the follow.. works great rarely ever tangles :)
View attachment 53882

U can clip the weight on or if you are in a snaggie area a 6in or more of 20 or 25lb break away leader to the weight..

Hi Derby some of the leader info got cut off in the pic. What does it say?

Not my pic, taken from another site's generous contributor, but here's an example of same (tuna cord slider). . .clip on your weight to the big snap that slides on the tuna cord, and mainline swivel attaches to the bottom swivel.

butt-rig1-jpg.489923

so its all one straight line no spreader bar or spreader using 150lbs mono?
No spreader bar for reasons Trophywife explained above. But if your fishing just sand and shell you wont have to worry too much about those reasons. Yes the end section to the hooks is your choice of leader 100, 120, 150 mono or you can go with crimped wire if you'd like. This set up is used a lot by the Alaskan Hali fishermen. That's who showed it to me. The Gagnon will take a **** kicking by that slider before it fails.

Any pics of these setups would be greatly appreciated. It can be difficult to picture what you guys are saying. for me anyways.
diagram by chance?
Too funny right after I wrote that I started questioning it. This is how one of the guys at Pacific Angler showed me to make a spreader bar. I tied up 20 of them two years ago and haven't really looked at them since. So yah I was wrong, the loop is only to the weight. Here's a pic...20200616_130253.jpg

I usually run 80lb braid 8ft top shot 60lb mono and the follow.. works great rarely ever tangles :)
View attachment 53882

U can clip the weight on or if you are in a snaggie area a 6in or more of 20 or 25lb break away leader to the weight..
This is the correct answer

Back