Lake Cowichan

Any Updates? Two friends and I are planning to taking one of our buddy’s out monday in a 16’ aluminum. Our buddy has MS and pots. So with mobility being an issue for him he doesn’t get out much. He grew up in Youbou but never really did much fishing growing up. We have taken him out 2-3 times to fish from shore in the lake. But that is the extent of our fishing experience in lake Cowichan.

My two friends and I grew up in Ucluelet. So trout wasn’t really a fishery we experienced growing up. Since the three of us have now moved to Nanaimo. Trout has been a recent fishery we picked up in the last two years. So with a semi foreign lake, a boat, very little experience trout fishing. We are unsure of places to go and what to try. So if anyone wants to share some knowledge on what’s going on that would be very appreciated!

Ok did some reading in the archives on the lake. Not a lot of info on this time of year as it’s typically not great. Also I read the lake can be hard fishing for the inexperienced. So I am bringing a mixture of trout and salmon gear with me. Now I saw quite a bit of mention of using salmon gear. So my question (obviously not for plugs) but would it be stupid to bring salmon flashers? I have only a couple Dodgers for Kokanee that may work? Or should I just mainly focus on plugs?

I know people who fish that lake with flashers and anchovie and do quite well. Watch out for many submerged pillings and logs.... fish the drop offs...

I know people who fish that lake with flashers and anchovie and do quite well. Watch out for many submerged pillings and logs.... fish the drop offs...

Thank you Tinboatrobb!I really appreciate the info!! I’ll post back with how we did.

Talked to a guy who years ago tried Anchovie in teaser heads on the lake and told me there is a very good reason they are banned! At this time of year you can still fish the shoals early in the day fairly shallow with lots of line out the back but as the sun gets higher most guys are fishing 40 to 60 ft down. Plugs and spoons work good wherever you can find bait. I personally have not tried a flasher but gang trolls and the like are still used so a small flasher might work. Not sure where you are launching but the narrows between Youbou and Honeymoon Bay area have some deep drop offs to try at this time of year. Good luck.

Stop and talk to Gord March in Lake Cowichan. Can't remember the name of his tackle shop ? He has all the info and gear to get you set-up

Stop and talk to Gord March in Lake Cowichan. Can't remember the name of his tackle shop ? He has all the info and gear to get you set-up

Great resource for sure and an awesome little tackle shop. I believe the full name is Gord's Flybox and Goodies. He is located beside the Irly Bird store as you first get into town but he does have limited hours for opening right now.

Talked to a guy who years ago tried Anchovie in teaser heads on the lake and told me there is a very good reason they are banned! At this time of year you can still fish the shoals early in the day fairly shallow with lots of line out the back but as the sun gets higher most guys are fishing 40 to 60 ft down. Plugs and spoons work good wherever you can find bait. I personally have not tried a flasher but gang trolls and the like are still used so a small flasher might work. Not sure where you are launching but the narrows between Youbou and Honeymoon Bay area have some deep drop offs to try at this time of year. Good luck.

Thank you admin! That is a huge help and I really appreciate it. We will Probably be launching from that exact launch. So we will definitely give that a try!

Thanks For the info Fins! Just looked him up and his closed today and tomorrow.. Darn maybe next time.. I have to remember those little local tackle shops alway have such a wealth of knowledge.

Gord knows his stuff. Hard to leave his store without spending a few dollars though...

Ah that’s ok. Some times it’s a little give an take. Besides I’m willing to pay for the extra edge for the possibility of getting a fish. To bad he’s closed today and tomorrow..

I think Gord writes an article or report in Island fisherman if you pick up a copy ? If your going to run a 3" plug he suggests #231 #800 and #801.. Good Luck !

Gord was forced to retire a few years back for health reasons. he could not stay away so he opened a place where the guys could hang out (hence the big couch) that just happens to sell fishing gear. This is what he told my wife and I.

Well guys it was nice to get out fishing! We had mixture of rain/overcast and sun through out the day. But we didn’t have very much luck. I was able to land this nice cutty and the rest of the boys were not able to land any fish. We used a mixture of gear, techniques and locations. The winner was a 4” tomic plug. It says 16 on it but It doesn’t match up with the 16 they have on there page. Basically typical white body, with a chartreuse green back, light blue thin strip down the back bone and silver gitter over the whole body. Caught it around cottonwood.

Attachments

• 0802FDC2-F13C-48C4-88E5-28D1863DABEA.jpeg
    0802FDC2-F13C-48C4-88E5-28D1863DABEA.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 92
Tomic plugs. I have some older ones that when you look up on their website, the colours have changed over the years.

Tomic plugs. I have some older ones that when you look up on their website, the colours have changed over the years.

Yeah I have noticed that too. For reference purposes it would of been nice if Tomic could of kept them the same. But oh well such is life.. so I thought it would be better to just describe it instead. I got a package deal over the winter that included 60 ex commercial plugs. Some are new some are very well used. That plug I used looked brand new so I thought at least that one would of matched up.

Back