2020 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my summer work schedule finally a couple days ago and timing looked good for a trip. So thought I’d give it another go as our plans for Nootka didn’t pan out. So I got on the phone with Island West Resort yesterday thinking the boy and I would make a run out there end of July. Nope they aren’t opening rooms in July, Marina is open but no rooms. Top that off with the natives doing what they are doing it’s absolutely impossible to make any plans this year. Hope Trudeau keeps the checks coming for many out there cause they are going to need them. Bloody frustrating I’ll tell you.

We are still set to go beginning of august and hope everything works out. Guess you never know how things will workout with every these days. Hope you guys figure something out and it all works out.

I’ve got a trip booked for july 1-8 but we’re camping at Ucluelet campground. Hope it all works out

I’ve got a trip booked for july 1-8 but we’re camping at Ucluelet campground. Hope it all works out
Just talked to Island West a couple days ago and was told the moorage and the campground are opened but the hotel rooms are not. However, the showers are not opened but the washrooms are.
I am thinking of taking my boat up there around the first week of July and stay onboard in the Island West dock. Will have to find a place for shower though. I will drive up to Ucluelet next week to scout out the place and give you guys an update.

Just talked to Island West a couple days ago and was told the moorage and the campground are opened but the hotel rooms are not. However, the showers are not opened but the washrooms are.
I am thinking of taking my boat up there around the first week of July and stay onboard in the Island West dock. Will have to find a place for shower though. I will drive up to Ucluelet next week to scout out the place and give you guys an update.

Wet Nap shower ;)

Got my summer work schedule finally a couple days ago and timing looked good for a trip. So thought I’d give it another go as our plans for Nootka didn’t pan out. So I got on the phone with Island West Resort yesterday thinking the boy and I would make a run out there end of July. Nope they aren’t opening rooms in July, Marina is open but no rooms. Top that off with the natives doing what they are doing it’s absolutely impossible to make any plans this year. Hope Trudeau keeps the checks coming for many out there cause they are going to need them. Bloody frustrating I’ll tell you.

I’m currently sitting in the ferry lineup to go to Nanaimo. Counted well over 15 Alberta licences plates some towing camping trailers.

Seems like they found places to go so might just be a matter of finding what’s open.

The last overnight trip Michael and I did in Ukee we took towels, soap, shampoo and just jumped overboard to clean up. Also I second Ace's recomendation: https://www.naturalelementsrentals.com/

Last edited:
And what about the issues with the natives fellows. It’s alright for people that live close by but if one drives 1800 km to get there and gets turned around then what. It’s hard to book so far in advance with so many unknown variables at this time.
I think I’m just going to sit it out for a while and come Aug if things line up I might hit Sooke for a few days at least I know I won’t get turned around on the highway half way in there.

But thanks for the links guys, appreciate it.

And what about the issues with the natives fellows. It’s alright for people that live close by but if one drives 1800 km to get there and gets turned around then what. It’s hard to book so far in advance with so many unknown variables at this time.
I think I’m just going to sit it out for a while and come Aug if things line up I might hit Sooke for a few days at least I know I won’t get turned around on the highway half way in there.

But thanks for the links guys, appreciate it.
Nobodys getting turned around on any highways nor do they have any right to

Masks might be silly but I think we have to change our way of thinking as the few reports out now suggest they curb the rate of infection significantly.

I believe BC is in a good situation at the moment and would think that practicing the right social distancing measures with masks one can go have a vacation. It might not be the usual but it can still be enjoyable. We plan to be there in august for 10 days. We will be taking it seriously and social distancing, wear masks and limit our exposures to others as much as possible. Will it be the same nope but we will make it work and hopefully add a little money into a great community with minimal risk.

20200618_135656.jpg Was out between Cree and Austin on Saturday. A couple undersized Chinook released. Saw a couple teens pulled up by other boats. Overall seemed pretty slow. Stopped at my usual spots on the way back home and picked up a few good sized Black Rockfish.

Apparently the squid are in the harbour right now. Hopefully get out to the dock tonight to get a bucket full.

Smooth sailing moving forward---> Here's a joint statement for clarity welcome back---> https://www.westerlynews.ca/busines...Wx9_hlOHeiRseav1zzODsD-4DLUO_fiqmYOIFuS8U30bI

On a fishing note the last few times out targeting Hali has been great. Just family fishing this year, been really enjoying it. Best hali bait to date was fresh squid the kids jigged up at night, ran rubber and herring but the fresh squid was the leader on different days we were out. Bottom fishing has been excellent, especially now that the Princess jigger boats have been gone for a few years now, always was good but getting better and better every year it seems.

Seem to be a fair amount of Coho hanging around right now.

Right now 2 Chinook a day limit in sound ( inshore ) and one mile buffer on outside open, offshore and inshore Chinook opens mid July, 2 Chinook a day.

For decent retention seems like the west coast is the place to be with all the new regs implemented all around the island. Ucluelet and Tofino still offer good retention opportunities.

Last edited:
Braved the wind to fish in front of the Ukee harbour for an hour on Sunday night. My sister caught her first ever spring, which put up a great fight. Skinny g herring aid was the ticket.

Anyone able to share details on catching squid in the harbour?

Attachments

• C95331BD-D150-44B4-A98C-E73909844EA8.png
    C95331BD-D150-44B4-A98C-E73909844EA8.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back