Stinger hooks

donnie d

When rolling anchovies I often find I’m re-tying / replacing my bait heads due to teeth wear on the line to my stinger hook. I’ve started tying braid stingers, 80lb stuff to hopefully prevent that wear from happening as much. Using tuf line light blue...the blue seems to not be that visible but thought I’d ask forum guys to see what else others are using?

First trip is in July so I haven’t tried these out just yet.

I've used my fly tying vice to lash on a loop of braid for stingers and it was fine.
But a more efficient way to get fish in the boat and get on with the rest of the day is to have 4-6 helmuts with an anchovy already pinned in and ready to go. If you get a fish or a tired/mangled bait, swap it out. That gives you time to re-tie or better yet feed a new leader with hooks already tied on into your lucky bait holder.
Chances are the leader in front of the front hook will be frayed too.

I've used my fly tying vice to lash on a loop of braid for stingers and it was fine.
But a more efficient way to get fish in the boat and get on with the rest of the day is to have 4-6 helmuts with an anchovy already pinned in and ready to go. If you get a fish or a tired/mangled bait, swap it out. That gives you time to re-tie or better yet feed a new leader with hooks already tied on into your lucky bait holder.
Chances are the leader in front of the front hook will be frayed too.

x2.
have a bunch ready to rock with quick changes. once back at the dock it’s Miller time and a total re-tie of your mangled leaders

I like to have everything tied up in advance. I keep it simple and use the same hook setup for bait,plug and hootchies. This setup doesn’t have the leaders tied on yet as I can add later for whatever application I use. Obviously I will spread the hooks closer or farther apart depending on what size of lure I am using. For 20 years I have tied the hooks, last couple season I have experienced no failures in using crimps. Very quick and so far dependable.
For the record I do crimp the barbs and will get flamed for using trebles. These trebles are sticky sharp and will rust up very quick,replace after each fish.

6E5A08E6-4A96-4F8C-A597-46ABCB2CD707.jpeg 27649E71-065E-4CE2-932D-9DF25B6F494C.jpeg

x2.
have a bunch ready to rock with quick changes. once back at the dock it’s Miller time and a total re-tie of your mangled leaders

I usually start a trip with a dozen or so pre-tied...Was thinking I could reduce my pre-tied inventory with the braid...but my office hands take a beating day 1 out so my tying deteriorates fast...as it does with a few luckys...i'll probably just go nuts with anticipation anyway and load up my pool noodle as per usual.

I like to have everything tied up in advance. I keep it simple and use the same hook setup for bait,plug and hootchies. This setup doesn’t have the leaders tied on yet as I can add later for whatever application I use. Obviously I will spread the hooks closer or farther apart depending on what size of lure I am using. For 20 years I have tied the hooks, last couple season I have experienced no failures in using crimps. Very quick and so far dependable.
For the record I do crimp the barbs and will get flamed for using trebles. These trebles are sticky sharp and will rust up very quick,replace after each fish.

View attachment 53741 View attachment 53742

Ya beat me to it!:p

Personally not a fan of braid, once nicked braid is weakened considerably. I much prefer my leaders and trailers tied up with either mono or flora just my preference is all. I have my best luck with straight 30# mono. I did tie up about a dozen leaders last summer in 30# Seagar flora leader material and found just about every trailer snapped off in the net after the fish was landed. It could not handle the thrashing when the fish hit the boat. Just my experience I’m sure others will disagree but going forward all my leaders were and will be straight mono.

O
When rolling anchovies I often find I’m re-tying / replacing my bait heads due to teeth wear on the line to my stinger hook. I’ve started tying braid stingers, 80lb stuff to hopefully prevent that wear from happening as much. Using tuf line light blue...the blue seems to not be that visible but thought I’d ask forum guys to see what else others are using?

First trip is in July so I haven’t tried these out just yet.
I have been using 80 braid for a couple years it works ausum I use a uni knot to to leed hook only fail I have is when fish are in the net and they bend the 4x strong hooks but don't break the braid

Found the
Personally not a fan of braid, once nicked braid is weakened considerably. I much prefer my leaders and trailers tied up with either mono or flora just my preference is all. I have my best luck with straight 30# mono. I did tie up about a dozen leaders last summer in 30# Seagar flora leader material and found just about every trailer snapped off in the net after the fish was landed. It could not handle the thrashing when the fish hit the boat. Just my experience I’m sure others will disagree but going forward all my leaders were and will be straight mono.
I found the same thing. I also found that fishing without a stinger didn't make much difference. Just make sure the treble is set near the back of the anchovie/herring.

Back