Back-Trolling

michael_reiber

Hey guys looking for some of your opinions on this subject as I know a lot of us do back troll including me (but try to avoid it at all costs). Im curious as to the longterm effects this has on our outboards. For us we mainly do this when lingcod fishing as we anchor when halibut fishing. When you're in a say 10knot ish wind with some chop enough to get the odd small spray in your face.

We try to avoid this as much as possible because we feel like its probably not great for the motor having water ramming into the exhaust, but maybe we are abit to parinoid as I know tons of guides do it and even when I guided we would do it and it was encouraged, but on my own boat we are a little hesitant on how bad this is for the motor.

Do most use the main or there kicker to back troll?

I tried searching back on the forum but didn't find much. Someone had suggested with enough waves you could force water through the exhaust and into the combustion chamber.

Thanks for any insight Ive been very curious about this subject for several years but never thought to start a debate about it on the forum.

Cheers!
Michael

Ya you can get water up your engine if you're RPM's aren't high enough (strong enough exhaust force) to keep the back pressure of water ramming up your exhaust port. I've done back trolling a fair bit in both the ocean and rivers. Much different in rivers than the ocean cause in the rivers when we do it for Salmon there is a nice even current with no uneven back force of water pressure up the motors but with the ocean you have wind, tide, current etc and it's not always an even amount of throttle you are giving your motors. Have used both kicker and mains to do this with. I have two mains now and no kicker so if I do it now I use a main but I won't do it if conditions are too bad out where there is too much back force up my motors. Have had my motors stall out doing it before as well. Using the motors against the tide/wind/current can be a great way to keep the bait/lure in the zone for sure. Both for bottom fish and for salmon. I just don't do it if conditions are too nasty to fight against with the motor.

I have stalled out my main a few times with the stern to the waves and motor in reverse while trying to take the strain off pulling prawn gear and things got scary quick !!

I don’t recommend backing into any swell / waves at lower rpm or in a situation where the exhaust would be taking a steady pounding.

I've always felt that if your motor is running the exhaust would prevent the water from entering that way. An improper seal on the lid is a different thing

Couldn't figure out why my port fish tank kept getting full of water. The kicker was pushing water into my port scuppers when back trolling.

We all used to do a lot of back trolling in our part of the world for different species and never had an issue with engines in any type of water conditions.

Not to deflect the topic guys but this day and age why back troll most in our area have gotten away from it and just about everybody now that has to slow it right down uses a Sea Anchor or Drift Sock as we call them. There are so many options and makes out there this day and age and easy to rig up and use and just all around easier to work with and easier boat control than back trolling.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/122988/bass-pro-shops-extreme-drift-anchor

We all used to do a lot of back trolling in our part of the world for different species and never had an issue with engines in any type of water conditions.

Not to deflect the topic guys but this day and age why back troll most in our area have gotten away from it and just about everybody now that has to slow it right down uses a Sea Anchor or Drift Sock as we call them. There are so many options and makes out there this day and age and easy to rig up and use and just all around easier to work with and easier boat control than back trolling.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/122988/bass-pro-shops-extreme-drift-anchor
Didn’t realize you could get them that cheap but I’m not sure how effective that would be when your fighting wind and current... I could be wrong though!

Didn’t realize you could get them that cheap but I’m not sure how effective that would be when your fighting wind and current... I could be wrong though!

I used one of mine last summer when out at Ukee when we were drifting for Hali. With that said it was flat calm the days we were out there but it was great slowed my drift down incredibly. As far as wind and waves and current pretty sure that is what their purpose is to slow a boats drift down in bad weather. When trolling in bad weather and heavy winds you can throw the anchor out on one side of your vessel tied to a cleat mid ship and it will put a pull on one side of your vessel while you steer into the wind with your engine it will slow and even eliminate your bow from being tossed around in the wind. I would give it a try or maybe there are some on here that have that can chime in.

I used one of mine last summer when out at Ukee when we were drifting for Hali. With that said it was flat calm the days we were out there but it was great slowed my drift down incredibly. As far as wind and waves and current pretty sure that is what their purpose is to slow a boats drift down in bad weather. When trolling in bad weather and heavy winds you can throw the anchor out on one side of your vessel tied to a cleat mid ship and it will put a pull on one side of your vessel while you steer into the wind with your engine it will slow and even eliminate your bow from being tossed around in the wind. I would give it a try or maybe there are some on here that have that can chime in.
Awesome well I may have to look into them! Really for the most part its not an issue but have found my self to be frustrated when on trips to the west coast and were trying to fish lings but theres just enough chop to make me worried about hurting the engine

I like doing it. But too much throttle on my 15 merc and she kicks up and right out of the water.

my uncle, back trolling with kicker had water forced into his inboard 350. lock up the main. he got 6 inch extension to raise the exhaust. pull the spark plugs krank the engine over clean replace plugs and the main starts up.

Our 50 Hondas on our Lodge boats back trolled most of the 3 season and 3300 average hours before we trade them out. We mooched and drop fished so no trolling. I know lots are still going today as I sold them cheap to friends

Back