2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epic day for us at Thrasher and Grande area today. 25 fish to the boat released without coming out of the water. Of the 25 ...... 15 were of keeper size. One looked to be in the 15 lb range ...... 3 in the 10-12 lb range ..... 4 maybe 8-10 lbs and the rest were comprised of shaker to 5-6 lb range. Of course all these weight guesstimates are coming from overly happy guys ....... I mean ....... we've never experienced fishing, catching and not keeping fish like that before. The "not keeping" did provide a bit of bitterness ...... looked at each one of those keeper size fish straight in the face and said "your lucky day ash%le" which is not fair to the fish but it did alleviate a bit of the bitterness of releasing them. Watch if and when they open up retention ...... we won't catch a damn thing ...... not with Murphy onboard ...... lol. Anyway ...... it was a blast getting into that kind of action ........ put the first line in south of the rock in about 300ft of water and 120 on the rigger ...... started putting the second rod into the holder and first rod goes off ...... YEAH BABY. Release it (10-12sh) and drop it down again. Go to set up the other rod and first rod goes off again ....... hasn't even been 5 minutes. Another 10-12sh released. Drop the line again ....... get the other rod down to 90 ft and within another 10 minutes that second rod goes off ........ 15 sh played and successfully released. To me ..... that's where the epic descriptor is fitting from the get go. Throughout the time we were out there ......... trolling from the rock to about half way to Entrance ..... steady action in all the grades mentioned. Had so much fun with the Chinook that we didn't even try for Ling which is something I wanted to try out this year. Can't complain though ...... can try for Ling when Murphy shows up. Sorry for the long winded post/report ....... just damn happy about the day. Cheers !

Epic indeed. What gear were you running? I’m curious but it sounds like anything with a hook would do. Lol. Nice work. .

Epic indeed. What gear were you running? I’m curious but it sounds like anything with a hook would do. Lol. Nice work. .
Yeah ...... everything worked. Flashers were Bon Chovy and I think the other is called green onion. White hoochie ..... Army Truck hoochie ...... Bon Chovy spoon ....... Cookies and Cream spoon and another spoon that the name escapes me (Edit:looked it up .. it was a Herring Aid) were gear we used. I'm pretty sure anything would have got a hit yesterday.

Went out first trip this year. Fished Roger Curtis. Had dozen bites or so in 3 to 4 hours. 10 to boat. 4 overs rest under. Ran to Gibson's picked up nephew. Ran back to traps. Then back to McDonald's beach. Had 9 keepers in one trap. The other none. Great all around day. Crab feast time.

Any hints on the area you dropped your traps?

No one in their right mind will give away crab/prawn/ling/hali holes. Guys/gals spend lot of time finding them to begin with in many cases. Get some good bait (save your fish carcasses if you’ve got the freezer space) and try some different areas. It’s always rewarding when you try your own spots away from the usual spots that get carpet bombed. 50-100’ is a good place to start depending on where your dropping. Crabs move pretty quick check them after 2 hours, no love, move em!

No one in their right mind will give away crab/prawn/ling/hali holes. Guys/gals spend lot of time finding them to begin with in many cases. Get some good bait (save your fish carcasses if you’ve got the freezer space) and try some different areas. It’s always rewarding when you try your own spots away from the usual spots that get carpet bombed. 50-100’ is a good place to start depending on where your dropping. Crabs move pretty quick check them after 2 hours, no love, move em!

Hah, okay, definitely acknowledged. I was a bit resistant to ask in the first place. I definitely didn't expect gps coordinates, maybe a tip on general area. I'm more than happy to keep putting in the work, we've been getting a few keepers every time we are out, just seems like our spots are drying up a bit..

Thanks for the heads up!

Forgot to mention a few things aswell, all the ling were puking up opal squid , which is a first over there for me, also there was more herring in shallow than I’ve ever seen, we were jigging them and fishing them live, full stringers on the sabiki every drop, even had a Chinook hammer our livey in 30’ of water . Lastly one drop with the sabiki we hit a full stringer of yellowtail rockfish ( pelagic rockfish allot like black bombers) , another first for over there .
Those are a little out of the norm I would think with the yellow tail...

Just north of the south arm in 86 feet of water, can't miss lots of traps in the area and a very good spot. Also, just south of the north arm in about 69 feet of water.... You won't be disappointed but watch out lots of thieves travel these areas. Use Chicken it really works for me with a few prawn pellets and anchovies luker oil ... Good luck !

Just north of the south arm in 86 feet of water, can't miss lots of traps in the area and a very good spot. Also, just south of the north arm in about 69 feet of water.... You won't be disappointed but watch out lots of thieves travel these areas. Use Chicken it really works for me with a few prawn pellets and anchovies luker oil ... Good luck !
You're talking about crabs not prans, right? I do crabbing in White Rock, but deraming about catching prawns.

Fished south side of porlier yesterday down along Galiano. Followed the 130 ft countour and it was on fire. One side we fished 4” cop car and the other side 3” herring aide. 10 to the boat including this beauty. 349AE3F3-F6D6-4F20-9F8F-9567F600B490.jpeg

Very nice fish Dixsea. It's a shame we can't keep even one hatchery fish.

A shame and a dereliction of duty by DFO.

Anyways - back to the reports. Went over to Thrasher today. Released three legal sized chinooks along with a half dozen undersized. Tried for a Ling, but no luck today. Had seven undersized lings to the boat but the big boys were either not there or hunkering down with the tides. Was hard to fish (jigging and trolling) as the current was really fast. Ran into a few of those yellow tail rockfish mentioned earlier. First time for me seeing them. 7 legal crabs at North Arm.

Fished south side of porlier yesterday down along Gabriola. Followed the 130 ft count our and it was on fire. One side we fished 4” cop car and the other side 3” herring aide. 10 to the boat including this beauty. View attachment 53537
nice fish Dixsea, yup looks like another we made that we SHOULD have the right to keep but , let it go hopefully the seals don't get it !
Quick pic and he swam away like a champ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back