23' & 26' Hourston Project Commenced...

What to do?

• Try and keep the boat and complete the project.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Sell the boat in current hot market.

Votes: 8 8.0%
  • Notch the transom for outboard.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • Add extension bracket for outboard.

Votes: 57 57.0%
  • Install twin outboards.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Install single outboard.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • Add command bridge.

Votes: 15 15.0%
  • Remove command bridge.

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • Accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 29 29.0%
  • Do not accept "crowd funding"

Votes: 16 16.0%

• Total voters
Yes,but go below the chine at the front,as you can see on Roy's boat,yours will probably be lower w/ pod/outboards.I would paint the rubrail down first,well below where you think the waterline will be.You can always sand and bottom paint higher as needed but not the other way round.

Yes sir, That is my plan to finish and bring topcoat to where it is suppose to be NOT the way it was :(

It’s gong to look like **** if the bottom paint follows the chine up to the front of the bow. The only way to do it correctly is to finish the boat and splash it.

Update: I received a sample of window/windshield rubber gasket and it is very tight but it looks as if it will do just fine...

IMG_0249.jpeg

Last edited:
its really hard to tell by the pic but right below my rope on there is a 3 inch wide navy colored tape and the bottom paint is below that and ill be honest you want a good 2 inchs above water line as the growth will grow on the tape as water slaps up with waves and its amazing the growth will grow above the water line this green fuzzy ****..

its really hard to tell by the pic but right below my rope on there is a 3 inch wide navy colored tape and the bottom paint is below that and ill be honest you want a good 2 inchs above water line as the growth will grow on the tape as water slaps up with waves and its amazing the growth will grow above the water line this green fuzzy ****..

Hey Wolf, yes I see the navy blue strip, I will be going 2" above true water line with bottom paint, Thx :D

Is it just me or is this forum server really slow this past few days?

Yes,but go below the chine at the front,as you can see on Roy's boat,yours will probably be lower w/ pod/outboards.I would paint the rubrail down first,well below where you think the waterline will be.You can always sand and bottom paint higher as needed but not the other way round.

I will place painters tape as an indicator before I paint and let you guy direct me from there :) and get your feedback to see if we are on the same page.... Thx

if you want since its the same boat ill measure from the bottom of my rub rail to the top of my bottom paint for ya shoot me your phone number again and ill hold the tape up to it so you can see, my boats out of water so perfect timing . ill do back then about every 6 feet so that should get you a sort of pattern for ya

Back in my working days, I was an aircraft engineer. Worked mostly on single engine float planes. Every winter we’d tear one machine down for heavy maintenance & refinishing. When laying out the lines on the base colour, we would mark the fuselage at bow, stern & midships with a fine tip marker. Then, we’d set up a laser level set for a horizontal line. Once we got the level lined up so the laser line touched all three points, we were able to follow it with masking tape for a nice straight line around all those awkward compound curves. Should work just as well on a boat hull.
You have to get well back from the hull the get the length of line you need. Probably need to be outside & do it in the dark.

All you need is 3 marks,even 2 would do one on bow and one at transom.Run a long straight edge across transom at same height off chine as the mark,then run a string line up to the bow mark.any where you can touch the hull with the string on the straight edge will be a level true mark,join the dots.

Last edited:
Wasn't planning on sanding today but went ahead an tackled sanding the bottom and infills... I think her bottom is looking amazing :) I done a 150grit and pretty much all the old bottom paint is a goner!

Now what? just paint, prime and paint, try gelcoat? hummm, so many options

IMG_0253.jpeg IMG_0251.jpeg IMG_0252.jpeg

Come do my carpet. Take a break. Plenty of room to live aboard.

search Albernifisher's build again. Pretty sure he painted with one of the expensive 2 part paints including below the water line since it is on a trailer usually. I don't know if he used an epoxy primer for waterproofing, but probably.
Saw this on ifish yesterday- "Friend bought his Mooney airplane from the widow of the guy who painted his airplane with Imron and no respirator."

I used interlux VC performance epoxy. Pleased with the results but I added a vinyl boot stripe that really makes it pop.

Guys, you haven't lived until you hand scraped the bottom anti-foul off your hull with 3 X layers of paint remover, what a job! I am so surprised, no issues, all I found was a previous repair around the size of a loonie... just finished pressure washing and ordered the CSC paint...

No doubt. We chose to do it dry and used 3 different carbide scrapers. Each had their merit. Definitely a crappy job but I don't regret doing it and gave us something to do during the covid shutdown.

No doubt. We chose to do it dry and used 3 different carbide scrapers. Each had their merit. Definitely a crappy job but I don't regret doing it and gave us something to do during the covid shutdown.

Any pictures?

BLING!

Just got my window frames polished, what do you think? Do I need to coat these with something to keep them shinny? LOL

Honestly I was not expecting a mirror finish just a good cleaning to remove the bit of salt corrosion...

IMG_0270.jpeg IMG_0271.jpeg IMG_0269.jpeg

Back