Anyone Know A Reasonably Priced Carpet Guy?

Rain City

Crew Member
I'd like to get the carpet done in the Commander. I just got a quote that was so high it made my head spin. The guy even admitted it would only be a 2.5-3 day job plus about 100 square feet of carpet. I deal with trades every day and am happy to pay a GOOD wage but this was just gouging at it's finest.

Why carpet and not something less prone to holding moisture? Did the guy have "MARINE" in his company name? 'Cause that will crank up the cost 5 fold haha

That vinyl stuff that looks like teak is pretty cool. I had a tenant who did that for a living. Pretty much indestructible.

Why carpet and not something less prone to holding moisture? Did the guy have "MARINE" in his company name? 'Cause that will crank up the cost 5 fold haha
That vinyl stuff that looks like teak is pretty cool. I had a tenant who did that for a living. Pretty much indestructible.
It's too chopped up. Too many funny areas to cover. Would be WAY more to do in anything else. Besides I prefer the carpet for comfort and warmth. The majority of the interior doesn't see wet feet. You can kick your boots off in the foyer ;)

Depending on your comfort level, you could do it yourself. My wife and I redid the carpet in our 26' sunbridge boat several years ago and it turned out great. We used the old carpet as a pattern but cut it all 1" oversize. We rented a carpet seaming iron and bought the tape needed for seams. Even though we installed the carpet oversize, we had very little trimming to do - it seems the old carpet shrunk up a bit after we pulled it out. Most of it we let lay loose but some areas we stuck down with good quality double sided carpet tape. Or you could use glue if you are careful. When trimming it's okay to take a little at a time rather than too much at once. Keep the carpet warm and take your time for best results.

Depending on your comfort level, you could do it yourself. My wife and I redid the carpet in our 26' sunbridge boat several years ago and it turned out great. We used the old carpet as a pattern but cut it all 1" oversize. We rented a carpet seaming iron and bought the tape needed for seams. Even though we installed the carpet oversize, we had very little trimming to do - it seems the old carpet shrunk up a bit after we pulled it out. Most of it we let lay loose but some areas we stuck down with good quality double sided carpet tape. Or you could use glue if you are careful. When trimming it's okay to take a little at a time rather than too much at once. Keep the carpet warm and take your time for best results.
At a week off work to do it I'd ending spending more in the end. Besides that my marriage wouldn't survive any "mistakes" I made.

At a week off work to do it I'd ending spending more in the end. Besides that my marriage wouldn't survive any "mistakes" I made.
Lol! We did it in a weekend. And using the old carpet as a pattern, trimming carefully, mistakes are minimized.

Have you seen the inside of a commander? :confused:
Yeah, years ago. It seems to me there were several levels and steps plus hatches in the floor to upholster. Lots of separate pieces. No doubt a bigger job but on the plus side you can staple to the plywood.

Yeah, years ago. It seems to me there were several levels and steps plus hatches in the floor to upholster. Lots of separate pieces. No doubt a bigger job but on the plus side you can staple to the plywood.
Good point.

Good point.
They mostly stapled mine down. The original green was glued in. Did you get a quote from McCranns? I think if you bought the carpet and hired your own installer you should be able to do cheaper.
Plus if you remove the dinette and everything will save a lot of work for them. You can pull all that out and be re-oiling while they install. It comes apart quite easily.
Remember to make some extra mats with the leftovers that you can shake outside when dirty. They can bind the edge on them.
I'm also not sure you need a marine carpet as like you say it does not get wet. Maybe just a good berber type carpet. It does have to roll around the hatches and raised floor areas so needs to be able to bend quite tightly.
Hope you find someone to do it for you

Last edited:
They mostly stapled mine down. The original was glued green was glued in. Did you get a quote from McCranns? I think if you bought the carpet and hired your own installer you should be able to do cheaper.
Plus if you remove the dinette and everything will save a lot of work for them. You can pull all that out and be re-oiling while they install. It comes apart quite easily.
Remember to make some extra mats with the leftovers that you can shake out side when dirty. The can bind the edge on them.
I'm also not sure you need a marine carpet as like you say it does not get wet. Maybe just a good berber type carpet. It does have to roll around the hatches and raised floor areas so needs to be able to bend quite tightly.
Hope you find someone to do it for you
I did talk to your guy yah. I think he's trying to retire on this one. :rolleyes:
I'm totally happy to pay a good wage but his price was out to lunch. I don't really want to do it myself and I have a decent budget to do it. Just need an honest price.

I did talk to your guy yah. I think he's trying to retire on this one. :rolleyes:
I'm totally happy to pay a good wage but his price was out to lunch. I don't really want to do it myself and I have a decent budget to do it. Just need an honest price.
Not sure why they charge so much. What about a supply only carpet from them and find your own installer?

Not sure why they charge so much. What about a supply only carpet from them and find your own installer?
Working on it. Every carpet supplier has some kind of "marine grade" carpet so that's not really the problem. I'd rather not give them any money whatsoever after that insult.

Vinyl planks, then a throw rug you can chuck when it gets grime, or remove the carpet for the party time, easy sweeping, or to much expansion..
I don't like hard surfaces in the boat. And trust me the greatest vinyl guy in the world couldn't do this job. There's 4 separate levels with nosings and ramps and steps and contours. It's like a skate park for midgets.

Had carpet in my gillnetters for decades.
After a while the backing starts to disintegrate and you get 'dust' everywhere.
Not sure if the marine grade helps stall this process.
Also agree on having a 'landing pad' mat made up for areas of heavy use, inside the companionway, under the skipper's feet.
Handy for those emergency situations where you don't have time to take off your blood and guts boots before taking control of the boat heading to the jetty on a huge ebb tide.
(Flashback has ended. Time to go home.)

Had carpet in my gillnetters for decades.
After a while the backing starts to disintegrate and you get 'dust' everywhere.
Not sure if the marine grade helps stall this process.
Also agree on having a 'landing pad' mat made up for areas of heavy use, inside the companionway, under the skipper's feet.
Handy for those emergency situations where you don't have time to take off your blood and guts boots before taking control of the boat heading to the jetty on a huge ebb tide.
(Flashback has ended. Time to go home.)
Yah the plan was to do the whole galley area, which is where you enter, with a second mat. It's a nice 5'x5' square so that parts simple at least.

Back