judge-asked-to-halt-salmon-fishing-in-alaska

This one should get pretty interesting. While we'd all cheer if AK's impacts on our migratory stocks were diminished, make no mistake, WFC is no friend of recreational salmon fishermen. . . previous and future lawsuits are aimed at us (by shutting down hatcheries with lawsuits). In this instance, the enemy of my enemy is definitely not my friend,

fb

I think this court case gets @ the crux of the real reason DFO/Canada enacted the SRKW restrictions on fishing that they have - that mirrored NMFSs restrictions (in Washington State - Puget Sound & JDF) under the US Endangered Species Act (“ESA”).
srkw-critical-habitat-proposed-enhanced-man-areas-key-foraging-areas-eng.JPG
They can refuse seafood shipments into the US market, as far as I understand it, otherwise. Now it's Alaska's turn.
SRKW-modified-map.jpg

Last edited:
Good luck getting AK to voluntarily comply on anything. Their attitude at the IPHC is sickening, so don't expect them to take any high road anytime soon unless a Judge forces them.

wow I really thought they were not going to have a chance in court.
This one should get pretty interesting. While we'd all cheer if AK's impacts on our migratory stocks were diminished, make no mistake, WFC is no friend of recreational salmon fishermen. . . previous and future lawsuits are aimed at us (by shutting down hatcheries with lawsuits). In this instance, the enemy of my enemy is definitely not my friend,
Could not disagree more on this one. Reality is that as much as WFC is against Hatcheries, Hatcheries aren't going anywhere for at least the next 20 years. Part of the SEAK Chinook take are ESA-listed Puget Sound Chinook.
The Fed's argument seems weak, but who knows; this isn't over yet.

Here is the big picture:
https://wildfishconservancy.org/ima...ome2011journalchart.jpg/image_view_fullscreen

If the injunction goes forward the we all get more fish NOW!! I guess I need someone who can explain to me that this is a bad thing???

Last edited:
That is so out of date for bc it’s barely even relevant. I seen the breakdown for 2019 and BCs take of US fish with the new restrictions is way way way down.

Due to the delayed start timing of our fishery now till after July 15 a lot of us stocks are past our waters.

Thought we were talking about AK dude - WTF. Also, you got any data, or do you just throw rocks at other peoples stuff?

I have the data yes but you constantly post agains the BC fishery so you would be the last person I would share it with.

You care nothing of our fishery up here. Get the data from your American reps it’s out their.

Ya - much of those data are tied into the CWT data. Some of that's on the PSC/PST website - but the newest data is often still being analyzed and often 1-2 years dated on the website. So, WMY is right - have to get that from the PST reps - and/or DFO stock assessment.

Last edited:
Not getting the Canadian connection in this court case, eric?

Could not disagree more on this one. Reality is that as much as WFC is against Hatcheries, Hatcheries aren't going anywhere for at least the next 20 years.

Uh, yeah, sure thing.

WFC is no friend of the saltwater sport fisher folk (or hatcheries).

fb

Not getting the Canadian connection in this court case, eric?
Perhaps Canadian Courts work different than US Courts - it seems to me that suing a US Federal Agency (in this case NOAA) should be done in a federal versus state court. The jurisdiction would be the court closest to the plaintiff; in this case Federal Court in Seattle.

Back