Small hole in floor help

vangoalie

ok so I was wiring my boat for electrical downriggers, taking the plunge from manuals finally, all went well then I put a second battery in the rear battery compartment. Then I noticed under the new battery a slight puncture thru the floor, about the size of a quarter. If I push down there is some moisture, this area is grey not the white fiberglas like the main floor is and to me the floor seems thin there. The boat is a campion 185. Not sure if I should worry or how to repair it, for now I put some eternabond waterproof tape on it. Is that enough? Should I worry about the moisture? The boat seems totally solid otherwise. Should I lay marintex over it or horse someone.? How urgent is this? Thanks for your help!

So what material is the small hole in? If it's in wood, then rot projects well beyond the hole and repair is a bigger job than you want to imagine.

Considering where the hole is repair may not be urgent but it may be indicative of underlying and more extensive problems. If it is rotten wood the moisture you noticed accelerates the fungus growth and the rot continues.

The long-term solution is to cut out all rotten material and replace it so the wood stays dry and sound in the future.

I think it is fibreglass but very thin, not sure what is underneath it but if I push down it does flex like a soft spot, I thought maybe styrofoam but not sure. Would stryrofoam be possible? Or do you think I am looking at wood? Should I pick out the material to see? Again this Is about the size of a loonie. Any idea who could fix this in the lower mainland? Thanks

I think it is fibreglass but very thin, not sure what is underneath it but if I push down it does flex like a soft spot, I thought maybe styrofoam but not sure. Would stryrofoam be possible? Or do you think I am looking at wood? Should I pick out the material to see? Again this Is about the size of a loonie. Any idea who could fix this in the lower mainland? Thanks

it’s probably floatation. was the battery or something else loose and causing a wear point? mind you it doesn’t matter it’s obvious some water is present. how is the condition of the stern? wanna drill a test hole?

Take a hole saw, a bit bigger then the hole you have , drill a hole and see what you have for material, if its wood, then you need to get rid of the rotting section or its going to spread like a rotten patato, just patching over is not going to fix anithing

I had that problem on my 185. When they built the boat they left a small hole in the plywood deck. It looks like they used that hole to pour in the floatation foam. Instead plugging the hole they cut the foam flush with the floor and sprayed gel coat over it. The only thing backing the gel coat is the foam. Then the dumba$#%s put the battery tray right there. When you install and remove your battery there is a good chance that it gets dropped onto that hole and the gel coat cracks.

I got a round deck plate and a big hole saw. Cut a big hole. See if the foam is wet. Inspect the hole you cut out and see how far the moisture spread. In mine the foam was damp so I dug it all out and put a couple boot dryers down there for a couple weeks (the type were you drop them in your boots and plug the in). The moisture in the deck had only spread a couple inches from the original hole, so I installed the deck plate. Should re-foam and patch the hole some day. I moved my battery under the driver seat.

I hope it is flotation, I guess I need to pull the tape I put down and open up the hole to verify it is flotation, god I hope it is. My heart sank when I saw this last night. this is my 3rd summer with this boat and all was going well. As for the transom I think it is ok. I removed the old transducer and pitot sensor to mount a piece of starboard and replace the two sensors, the screws I removed were clean the the wood for the new holes was clean too. Thanks

Thank CatchAll, that might be it because it just seams to be too soft and thin for fiberglass, I will dig it our and look, how big of a hole did you dig out?

I don’t remember exactly how big I went. I used one of those round deck plates that screws out. I think it was 4.5 or 5 inches. The hole is big enough for me to get my hand down there.

But you might not have to do that. That area usually would not get wet since it is under cover and there is a hatch between there and your fishing deck. I had a hole in the drain hose that goes to the live well right above there. The drain for that live well is barely above the water line. Waves would splash against the side of the boat and pee a little out of the hose right on top of the cracked hole in the deck. Freaked me out so I went all out on it. I would say open up the small hole that is there and poke your finger in there. If the foam is dry patch it up. A good fiberglass shop or boat surveyor will have a moisture meter and could check it out for you.

Thanks again, lol that is a big hole you made, going to try your suggestion first of just removing what is there, there is for sure some moisture as when I push done my finger gets wet but hopefully dig it out a little and let it dry then patch with fiberglass.

Cheers

I had that problem on my 185. When they built the boat they left a small hole in the plywood deck. It looks like they used that hole to pour in the floatation foam. Instead plugging the hole they cut the foam flush with the floor and sprayed gel coat over it. The only thing backing the gel coat is the foam. Then the dumba$#%s put the battery tray right there. When you install and remove your battery there is a good chance that it gets dropped onto that hole and the gel coat cracks.

I got a round deck plate and a big hole saw. Cut a big hole. See if the foam is wet. Inspect the hole you cut out and see how far the moisture spread. In mine the foam was damp so I dug it all out and put a couple boot dryers down there for a couple weeks (the type were you drop them in your boots and plug the in). The moisture in the deck had only spread a couple inches from the original hole, so I installed the deck plate. Should re-foam and patch the hole some day. I moved my battery under the driver seat.

If you go this route, the deck plate will sit a little proud of the deck surface, may need to put a piece of plywoo uner the battery to level it out and prevent rubbing on the deck plate

Thanks catchAll, just as you said a 1 inch hole filled with foam to the top! Cleared it out there is a little moisture in the foam but I think not too bad, going to leave the hole open for the next while to try and let to dry a little and just duct tape it when we are out on the boat for now. Then I will fibreglass over the hole. Wood seems solid around the hole. Does any think I should approach this differently? I am just guessing at this approach. Here is a picture of the hole.

thanks

Attachments

• 0BA039F7-8531-4063-B793-E02000723A3B.jpeg
    0BA039F7-8531-4063-B793-E02000723A3B.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 75
that’s good that is seems dry. i would be inclined to carefully remove a bit more of the floatation to assist in the drying process. what you’ve exposed seems to be an open cell ( styrofoam ) style floatation. once satisfied it’s actually dry you can always blow in some closed cell type insulation but duct tape is like the little dutch boy holding his finger in the dyke
( keep it clean )
it will accomplish nothing in fact will probably make things worse. cheers

It is not totally dry, there is some moisture, it does concern me a bit. Would you guys think I should drill a bigger hole? If so how big? Or just leave it open for a few weeksto let it dry then seal it? Never ran into anything like this before. Is there a professional in the lower mainland to assist in an evaluation? Thanks for all your help!

It is not totally dry, there is some moisture, it does concern me a bit. Would you guys think I should drill a bigger hole? If so how big? Or just leave it open for a few weeksto let it dry then seal it? Never ran into anything like this before. Is there a professional in the lower mainland to assist in an evaluation? Thanks for all your help!
Now you know what you have I wouldn't be overly concerned. Leave the area ventilated so it can dry out through the summer. A small fan would help. Then 'glass it in.

I would do as Casper has suggested that way it is sealed when you are using it and when sitting you can remove the cover and let air dry. If you dont like the idea of the inspection plate you can always remove it and glass the hole back over when its all dry

I was in the boat again today, cleared the hole further and poked at the wood, wood is solid! Stuck my finger as deep as it would go, lol, hold the comments, and felt a little moisture, not major. Then I used a knife an cut around the hole to check the foam on all sides of the hole seems totally dry around the hole. Propped the access hatch open and am now running a fan into the hatch. I know probably a good idea but I am not too inclined to cut a 4-6 inch hole into the floor. This area does not get much water, probably only when I hose down the boat with pressure.

A lot easier to cut the hole, then do a fiberglass repair and will be water tight. Also peace of mind that you can always take a look when ever you like.

Personally I would open the hole up with a dremel and one of them sanding cylinder things. Mainly the foam until it looks bright coloured. Then bevel the edges of the glass. Get a space heater on it for a week or so. Hit with some acetone then mix up some peanut butter with epoxy and cabosil/anti sag and seal er flush with the deck.

Back