Guides get the green light

Social media is always the truth.........isn't it..

I guide and don't see how it is doable if social distancing is in play.

Well you can get a hair cut, see the dentist, get a massage or phyisio and no way to keep 6'. As long as you practice proper hygiene and wear a mask if needed your fine.

I guess if clients and guide are willing to wear a mask and gloves for 6-10 hrs, no bathroom facilities then it would work.

I guess if clients and guide are willing to wear a mask and gloves for 6-10 hrs, no bathroom facilities then it would work.
I’m not too sold on this. That’s likely what may be required and even at that being in a boat with clients coming from who knows where and through airports is not my idea of safe. I think I will let those that really need the money have at it this year. I have an at risk wife so is it really worth it?

Oh I will be asking where people are from before I commit. Again I don’t see travellers from outside the country coming this summer as I think the 14 day isolation requirement will stay in effect for some time...people are going to stay in their own country this year.

A whole lot of self justification here.

Let’s face It, these are unprecedented times. I for one don’t want to see this carrying on indefinitely. I’m all for biting the bullet and crushing this F ing virus

I’m not sure what you are suggestion are you saying guides should not operate this summer?

My boat hasn't been wet this season to date and won't until the powers to be say to go. I agree. Would rather suffer now and get it over with quicker than pissing around half butt and having this around for 2 years.

Bonnie Henry has 'yet to see a plan' will not put the province at risk or 'undo' the hard work BC has done so far by 'bending the rules for anyone' regarding quarantine, border or essential worker status.

I just received the DFO notice noted below.

This point stands out.
To slow the spread of COVID-19 we ask that recreational fishers keep a physical distance between each other. Physical (social) distancing is
proven to be one of the most effective ways to reduce the spread of illness during an outbreak.
DFO’s Conservation and Protection Program continues to provide a critical function in the Federal Government’s management of Canada’s marine resources. Regular
integrated patrols by fishery officers on land, sea and air are ongoing.

The only fishing directions I could find was, you can fish by yourself, with family members and residents residing at the same resident.
Is there another notice out there that says different?

Subject:
FN0476-General Information: Information for BC Recreational Fishers on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Update

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - General Information,
RECREATIONAL - Shellfish,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon,
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Subject: FN0476-General Information: Information for BC Recreational Fishers on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Update
As Canadians continue to adjust with life under Covid-19 conditions, recreational fishers are reminded to follow the guidelines set out by Public Health Officials when
taking part in recreational fishing activities in British Columbia waters to help stop the spread of Covid-19. The Public Health Officer of British Columbia has asked
British Columbians to limit non-essential travel within the province, especially to smaller communities. Consistent with the Orders and Guidance for Fishing and
Hunting from the Public Health Officer of British Columbia, fishers are expected to only fish in their local area.
Fishers should also be aware that many coastal communities in BC have closed access and services to visitors to help protect their residents. Access to fuel, supplies
and other services in these communities may not be available.
Recreational fishers should be vigilant to follow the general recommendations from the Government of Canada for the Canadian public, see official advice on the
Coronavirus (COVID-19) page https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19.html or call the information line at 1-833-784-4397
Updates and changes that were recently announced by the Province of British Columbia regarding recreational fishing in BC at the following webpage:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/...-hunting/fishing-and-hunting-covid-19-updates .
Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) is keeping the health and well-being of all Canadians in mind as we work together in an effort to slow the spread of the new
coronavirus (COVID-19). To slow the spread of COVID-19 we ask that recreational fishers keep a physical distance between each other. Physical (social) distancing is
proven to be one of the most effective ways to reduce the spread of illness during an outbreak.
DFO’s Conservation and Protection Program continues to provide a critical function in the Federal Government’s management of Canada’s marine resources. Regular
integrated patrols by fishery officers on land, sea and air are ongoing.
Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard is committed to supporting our fisheries and aquaculture industry during these difficult times. The Government of Canada
is taking the necessary steps to keep you informed of the latest developments.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Greg Hornby, A/Regional Recreational Fisheries Coordinator, http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca
If you would like to unsubscribe, please submit your request at: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=manage_subscription
If you have any questions, please contact us via e-mail to: DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca

No US yachties is still massive hit to resorts up and down the coast.
No doubt. I want to come up and drop some coin asap, it's burning a hole in my fishbox!

I'll motor my own boat up, have only family members on board, wear gloves and mask, whatever it takes, I just wanna fish!! I understand that argument is self-centered, and (luckily for us all) they don't ask me about public health policy decisions.
A couple tangential points germane to this discussion. . .1) Washington state is on the downtrend with new infection and hospitalization rates, we have it on the downslide, and 2) unless we want to hide in our foxholes for 5 yrs, we're going to need to open things up and let the virus run through the herd to develop some population immunity, oh, and 3) don't hold your breath on a vaccine being either imminent or effective (it will be neither).

Have a great day!

fb

"The Public Health Officer of British Columbia has asked
British Columbians to limit non-essential travel within the province, especially to smaller communities. Consistent with the Orders and Guidance for Fishing and
Hunting from the Public Health Officer of British Columbia, fishers are expected to only fish in their local area."

As a British Columbia resident and tax payer, the entire province is my "local area".

I will plan for:
1) buying gas at a regular outlet (trailerable boat and day trips);
2) buy all tackle and supplies online before the trip;
3) have a case or two of beer to use as a trade item should an emergency arise that requires a stop at a coastal "smaller community".

My (recreational) season doesn't start until the end of June so maybe things will change.

If everyone gets on the program like they have in New Zealand, Korea and even here in BC you can get it done in 6 weeks....down to a point of single didgits and easy tracking to keep it that way. On the Island we have it down to zero...very high buy in by the vast majority and it has paid off. Its going to be hard to get the public to agree to allow travellers from outside in and risk starting over.

If everyone gets on the program like they have in New Zealand, Korea and even here in BC you can get it done in 6 weeks....down to a point of single didgits and easy tracking to keep it that way. On the Island we have it down to zero...very high buy in by the vast majority and it has paid off. Its going to be hard to get the public to agree to allow travellers from outside in and risk starting over.

It's not up to people on the island to let travelers in. Its Canada and we are free to travel throughout the entire Country as per the charter of rights.

We are all part of a Country.

There are NO travel bans between provinces & if anyone tried it would be unconstitutional. A public health order will not over ride this.

Folks need to remember the lock down was to flatten the curve. Not about eliminating the virus. Its here to stay and folks need to realize that.

It's no longer about "Cant" it's about "How" we move forward.

Bc phase 3 starts June 1

Phase 3 is planned to run from June to September

Last edited:
Bc phase 3 starts June 1

Phase 3 is planned to run from June to September

Horgan & Dixs said today they will not even be looking at discussing Phase 3 until at least June 15th with no guarantees. The BC state of emergency was just extended as well for another 2 weeks. Because it says Phase 3 June-September for what ever reason people think that means June 1st. Also in briefing they discussed the border and said they worked very hard on closing the border and the closing contributed to BC's low numbers saying they don't see it opening in the near and foreseeable future. If they are recommending no interprovincial travel then it would make sense once that recommendation is lifted then to look at the border reopening. I would be extremely surprised if the border opened to non essential travel during the summer months I think we're looking at the fall possibly if the US numbers decline, there is no second surge and BC is still doing well with our own lifted restrictions. They want to watch 2 full incubation periods after lifting anything before opening other sectors, so that's 28 days and lets discuss if and how the next phase will open.

At 29:30 forward in clip they touch on phase 3---->

Horgan & Dixs said today they will not even be looking at discussing Phase 3 until at least June 15th with no guarantees. The BC state of emergency was just extended as well for another 2 weeks. Because it says Phase 3 June-September for what ever reason people think that means June 1st. Also in briefing they discussed the border and said they worked very hard on closing the border and the closing contributed to BC's low numbers saying they don't see it opening in the near and foreseeable future. If they are recommending no interprovincial travel then it would make sense once that recommendation is lifted then to look at the border reopening. I would be extremely surprised if the border opened to non essential travel during the summer months I think we're looking at the fall possibly if the US numbers decline, there is no second surge and BC is still doing well with our own lifted restrictions. They want to watch 2 full incubation periods after lifting anything before opening other sectors, so that's 28 days and lets discuss if and how the next phase will open.

At 29:30 forward in clip they touch on phase 3---->

Odd I read it started June 1. I think it’s because schools are starting June 1 and they said that would happen in phase 3.

Back