Racor filter check

dmurph

CF609315-0ED2-4C71-8ADD-22E801809EB4.jpeg Pretty nasty looking filter drain out from the racor today. Must admit this was not checked all last season and been out a few times this year. Expected a bit of water or gunk since it’s been so long but not this bad. Motor is running pretty much perfect was just a slight bit off from how it ran brand new maybe. Glad I finally checked it. Changing the factory filter now will see how that one looks. Note I have inboard so bowl on racor isn’t a clear one.

Last edited:
Good reminder! Since having a water-in-fuel nightmare a few years ago I regularly check filters and replace the Racor filter element at least annually. If you found gunk in the bowl the element should be changed. 10 microns is tiny and it can plug up pretty quickly if things are going sideways. I always carry a spare filter.

Good call, I also had a water in fuel nightmare when I first bought this boat many years ago. It ended up being a faulty fuel cap that was recalled but to a long while to track down the source. Haven’t had issues since. Neglected to check the racor last season as it’s been good but that is obviously a mistake. Unfortunately the factory merc fuel water separator looked the same. Hoping this is just from last seasons use and sitting from the winter. I know guys on the forums talk like you should change your filter every 6 months with today’s fuel, which I thought is way overboard, but maybe not

The reminders are good foxseas, I checked my radio with the coast Gaurd on 83a they other day thanks to you

The reminders are good foxseas, I checked my radio with the coast Gaurd on 83a they other day thanks to you
Good job! This forum is great for reminding old-timers like me so we don't make the same mistakes we made when younger, all over again.

Oh man glad you commented, was gonna just roll with the new merc filter on the motor, decided to change racor also and good thing23275E79-F47D-4F43-9AEC-EADA18AA439B.jpeg

I'd be a bit concerned about all that junk and where it's coming from. I'd recommend a drain of the new filters after a couple hours and see if it's still running through your system.

I've never seen hardly any gunk (other than water) in my RACORs, even the one in my old jetboat that was filled by siphon and drum and jerry jans on a regular basis on hunting trips.

just change annually[/QUOT
What you think about the rusty looking water? Just build up from more than a season of neglect?
I'd be a bit concerned about all that junk and where it's coming from. I'd recommend a drain of the new filters after a couple hours and see if it's still running through your system.

I've never seen hardly any gunk (other than water) in my RACORs, even the one in my old jetboat that was filled by siphon and drum and jerry jans on a regular basis on hunting trips.
ya is a little concerning, I’m thinking that racor is actually 2 seasons of use, I know for sure changed the factory merc filter on the motor last spring but think the racor was neglected.

Haha, the Coast Guard must be sick of me I give them a short shout every time I leave the dock. Always pleasant so thinking they aren't sick of me yet but at least they have a record of me on the water that day , just in case lol. I change my racor every season, nothing like what you got there Dave, If its not a bugger to change like mine, I'd be pulling that mid season to check it. Maybe you picked up some poor fuel some place .... Been to any remote places last season that may have had old fuel (who knows right ) ?

How did you treat your fuel over winter? Was your tank full?

Ya Im pretty concerned now, seems like lots of water, I don’t know how my engine was running perfect. The racor isn’t that bad to change, but I was tending not to drain the bowl cause that’s a bit more of a mission and I would never have water but I’ll definitely be checking daily now for a bit. Ya I’m wondering where this came from. Wondering if it came from my fill up this season

I had just filled it up for the season with marked gas from the shell in Qualicum Beach a couple weeks ago and have been out 3 times boating in French creek, so signs of anything off in how the motor ran. My plan was to run the boat a few times, then change filters just in case any build up from winter condensation. This seems like a lot more than winter condensation.

Possible corrosion in the tank? Are those solid particles at the bottom of the jar?

Back