Kicker steering

kyle8525

Hey so i have a 27 skagit Orca and recently purchased a 9.9 Susuki high thrust with controls (no tiller) I would like to plum the kicker steering into the fore and aft helm stations. I dont want electric remote steering. so i realize that i will need a ram for the kicker to steer and i imagine some kind of valve to switch between the steering of the Volvo I/O to the kicker has anyone done this? is it possible? If this isnt feasible i will end up putting in its own independent steering wheel but this would be the preferable choice if possible. swim step is in the way of a EZ steer tie bar

Very easy to do. Teleflex has a liquid valve that does exactly what you want and I have it installed on my boat. When the valve is in one position only the main steers which in your case would be the i/O. When flipped to the other position both the main and kicker turn together. The only thing you have to do before steering with both main and kicker is to make sure I/O is steering straight ahead and then manually push the kicker to the same position...then turn the valve to lock them together. You do need the hydraulic ram on the kicker and the hydraulic lines. On my 9.9 Yamaha you have to cut off the transom clamps and use bolts through the transom mount to hold the engine on the boat. If you don't remove them they will prevent the kicker from being tilted up fully as they bump up into the hydraulic ram.

I have a similar setup as profisher but on an outboard. Just flip the switch. Was a GREAT upgrade.

I was told that the ram they installed new on my kicker, which was part of my new controls, wasn't compatible with my existing Volvo steering. Something to do with different pressures? Seemed complicated to me anyways because I already had two stations for the mains one up one down.

thanks for the responses. Profisher is the teleflex valve a ha-5471-2 and what is your ram in your kicker and your I/O

Not sure of the valve part number, but looked it up online and saw a picture of ha-5471-2 and that is it. I'll look for the cylinder number later today when I'm out at the boat.

Looks like this system won't work on a stern drive with power steering. Is anyone using it on a Mercruiser I/O with engine drive power steering pump?

I am all over this too, so done with ez steer. The idea of the teleflex valve and then a ram for the kicker sounds awesome. I need to go visit the boat as I've never paid too much attention to the main IO steering system but I am assuming it's nothing special. If that's the case is this as straight forward as that teleflex valve and then a seastar / baystar kicker steering kit? Perhaps that's overkill and there's just hose / steering ram plus the teleflex valve?

My config would be with a VP IO with standard power steering...

Last edited:
I was told that the ram they installed new on my kicker, which was part of my new controls, wasn't compatible with my existing Volvo steering. Something to do with different pressures? Seemed complicated to me anyways because I already had two stations for the mains one up one down.

How are you steering that new kicker now? Is it totally isolated from your mains?

He's using the POS easy steer tie bar. Those things are a liability. We stopped selling those years ago. Not fit for inside or outside fishing van island. Guys fall over board, drop and loose them and not cheap to buy.

Solution is:

A. Remove power steering assembly from transom assembly and replace with a Seastar hydraulic cylinder. Replace the helm with a Seastar helm. Then add another cylinder with a tie bar valve.

B. Add a seatstar cylinder to the kicker and put in our custom built auto pilot pump assembly with single or multiple controllers, either wireless or handheld or both. Can be integrated into any auto pilot system.

C. Hire a cute girl to steer the boat manually while you fish, changing the kicker to a tiller setup

Which one will cost you more?

How are you steering that new kicker now? Is it totally isolated from your mains?
I'm using an independent Seastar system. I already have two helms for the mains so adding a third wasn't doable unless I changed out my whole setup. You can't just tie the seastar into your stock (Volvo in my case) system because they're not compatible.

Its because the stock inboard outboard steering system consists of a power assisted hydraulic ram mounted at the transom assembly, that gets constant pressure from the power steering pump on the engine. unless it was a special build or upgrade. You need a seastar hydraulic helm and cylinder. Then you can build from there. Or just add one to your kicker with our pump setup or put a helm in the rear with a steering wheel. Only one problem with that is this.. if only steering with the kicker you loose ability to steer and control the boat in heavy currents or if the wind picks up.

I'm using an independent Seastar system. I already have two helms for the mains so adding a third wasn't doable unless I changed out my whole setup. You can't just tie the seastar into your stock (Volvo in my case) system because they're not compatible.
Why not just steer the kicker with the two helms you already have and just put a valve in to go either to the main(s) or to the kicker with a cylinder installed on the kicker. You can also put in a AP then just fish and let it do the steering.

Why not just steer the kicker with the two helms you already have and just put a valve in to go either to the main(s) or to the kicker with a cylinder installed on the kicker. You can also put in a AP then just fish and let it do the steering.
Both helms are 20' from the deck. This way I can steer while I net by myself.

In this scenario, I think that works until you mistakenly fire up the main with the valve open and pressurize the system, could that blow the valves brains out?

In this scenario, I think that works until you mistakenly fire up the main with the valve open and pressurize the system, could that blow the valves brains out?
Do you have power assist? If answer is no then not a problem.

The plan will be to eventually set up the pod with steering to match the kicker ;). And have AP

Back