2020 Haida Gwaii Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checking in ... I have a trip planned for July. Anyone hearing status updates re: HG?

I heard that Langara is starting up mid June and that North Island is shut down.

I heard that too, but I spoke to a few of the Senior Leadership team members of two lodges and they
aren't concerned about the Haida "Nation's" feelings toward fellow Canadians travelling within Canada.

Word is they are geared up to start June 15 and 8th.

The biggest obstacle I am told is the foodservice permits etc around COVID.

Langara island lodge isn’t opening qcl isn’t opening havnt heard about west coast fishing club

Everyone has to fly up to Massett and then pack themselves in a helicopter. Plus you usually bunk with a buddy not your family so can't see how you can social distance. I have looked on the Langara website and there is nothing about Covid which is odd.
Well if all those lodges up north are closed should be more fish down south. :)

Everyone has to fly up to Massett and then pack themselves in a helicopter. Plus you usually bunk with a buddy not your family so can't see how you can social distance. I have looked on the Langara website and there is nothing about Covid which is odd.
Well if all those lodges up north are closed should be more fish down south. :)

Yeah I have a hard time seeing them opening there is about 100 different things that would need to change.

Essential travel

Fish with only members in same house hold

Fish local

Then how do you feed guests

Still limited to no gatherings over 50
People, lodges seem like a gathering to me. So even if you could operate in not sure the financials work out with restriction the amount of guests

Thoes are just a few I can think off the top of my head. Honestly I don’t see a big difference from a fishing lodge and a small cruise ship.

Yup apparently LIL is 100% closed, LFL still wants to open. Guess they're waiting for some provincial guidelines before they make their call. Still have to tow the barge up there and set it up I assume. Unless they rolled the dice and towed it up already in April.

A few of the lodges SE of Langara and HG are taking this week to assess the BC Government's guidelines before committing
to a green/red light. My understanding is that they would all like to have some - even an abbreviated season and are prepped
and ready to go if a green light is given.

Some of the smaller lodges 25 +/- guests plus staff could stay under the 50 people limit and some creative ideas are being brainstormed
to maneuver through the other issues.

Stay tuned.

I work at one of the smaller lodges, and havent heard anything official yet.

If I had to guess Id say the season will probably be shortened or cancelled. The Haida will have their say, as they should, the same as any of you would expect to have your say in matters that directly affect your communities. BC might be managing the pandemic alright, but the same cant be said for our neighbors, and many lodge clientele travel from outside of BC. Every out-of-province guest would have to run a gauntlet of cabs/busses, hotels, restaurants, airports and airplanes, helicopters, etc. and thats before even setting foot in a lodge. For those unfamiliar with how our guests get to the lodge, theyre flown from Vancouver to Masset on a morning flight (which means hotel+shuttle+breakfast) where they wait in the tiny Masset airport for their Helijet to shuttle them to the appropriate lodges. A helijet can carry up to around 12 passengers and its pretty confined. Typically you might leave YVR at 9am and arrive at a lodge between 12-2pm depending on weather delays. During your travel youll come in contact with countless other travellers, airport staff, ticket agents, flight attendants, cab or shuttle drivers, restaurant workers, the Masset meet and greet team, concession workers, pilots, and finally lodge staff. Guests dine and socialize together throughout their stays, as well as spend up to 10 hours a day on the water with their guide.

From a guests perspective:
Many of our guests are older and would be considered at-risk, some have medical conditions that would make them high-risk. Most of them are very passionate about fishing but they also have the good sense to realize a fish isnt worth your life under any circumstance. These trips are expensive and for many are a bucket-list experience, our lodge is a bit unique in that we see a large number of corporate groups because of the size of the lodge, and I dont see too many corporations -or bucketlisters- having a lot of extra cash to throw around given the current state of things. Having a guided trip at a nice lodge obviously isnt essential to anyones survival. If Im a guest Im putting my annual trip, or my corporate trip, or my bucketlist trip off for atleast a year.

From a staff perspective:
Most lodge staff are young and would be considered low-risk. Being low-risk doesnt make you immune, and you could still be a carrier and thus put your guests at risk. As a guide, the guests safety is literally top priority. Youre the expert entrusted with their lives. I wear gloves when guiding anyways and I wouldnt have a problem wearing a face mask if thats what was required, but Im not sure a face mask would hold up to the conditions in the Haida Gwaii. Some seasons we see rain for 8 hours every day for weeks without end. There are strong winds, bumpy chop, big swells. There is slime and blood and saltwater flying around everywhere, people are inevitably going to touch their faces, trade high fives, shout and spit and hug, pass a flask or a joint around, etc. These trips are an escape - How do you protect your guests without stripping the fun from the experience?

Personally I love my summers up North, I love the lodge, I love my guests. Theres no way Id rather spend my summers than trading stories with some truly interesting people and showing them the wonders of the Haida Gwaii. I have a blast even when its pissing rain, windy, choppy, and the fish arent biting. Theres a comaraderie between the staff and guests at smaller lodges and its really unique and fun. I just dont see a way to make it happen without stripping away some of the magic and putting people and communities at risk.

I work at one of the smaller lodges, and havent heard anything official yet.

If I had to guess Id say the season will probably be shortened or cancelled. The Haida will have their say, as they should, the same as any of you would expect to have your say in matters that directly affect your communities. BC might be managing the pandemic alright, but the same cant be said for our neighbors, and many lodge clientele travel from outside of BC. Every out-of-province guest would have to run a gauntlet of cabs/busses, hotels, restaurants, airports and airplanes, helicopters, etc. and thats before even setting foot in a lodge. For those unfamiliar with how our guests get to the lodge, theyre flown from Vancouver to Masset on a morning flight (which means hotel+shuttle+breakfast) where they wait in the tiny Masset airport for their Helijet to shuttle them to the appropriate lodges. A helijet can carry up to around 12 passengers and its pretty confined. Typically you might leave YVR at 9am and arrive at a lodge between 12-2pm depending on weather delays. During your travel youll come in contact with countless other travellers, airport staff, ticket agents, flight attendants, cab or shuttle drivers, restaurant workers, the Masset meet and greet team, concession workers, pilots, and finally lodge staff. Guests dine and socialize together throughout their stays, as well as spend up to 10 hours a day on the water with their guide.

From a guests perspective:
Many of our guests are older and would be considered at-risk, some have medical conditions that would make them high-risk. Most of them are very passionate about fishing but they also have the good sense to realize a fish isnt worth your life under any circumstance. These trips are expensive and for many are a bucket-list experience, our lodge is a bit unique in that we see a large number of corporate groups because of the size of the lodge, and I dont see too many corporations -or bucketlisters- having a lot of extra cash to throw around given the current state of things. Having a guided trip at a nice lodge obviously isnt essential to anyones survival. If Im a guest Im putting my annual trip, or my corporate trip, or my bucketlist trip off for atleast a year.

From a staff perspective:
Most lodge staff are young and would be considered low-risk. Being low-risk doesnt make you immune, and you could still be a carrier and thus put your guests at risk. As a guide, the guests safety is literally top priority. Youre the expert entrusted with their lives. I wear gloves when guiding anyways and I wouldnt have a problem wearing a face mask if thats what was required, but Im not sure a face mask would hold up to the conditions in the Haida Gwaii. Some seasons we see rain for 8 hours every day for weeks without end. There are strong winds, bumpy chop, big swells. There is slime and blood and saltwater flying around everywhere, people are inevitably going to touch their faces, trade high fives, shout and spit and hug, pass a flask or a joint around, etc. These trips are an escape - How do you protect your guests without stripping the fun from the experience?

Personally I love my summers up North, I love the lodge, I love my guests. Theres no way Id rather spend my summers than trading stories with some truly interesting people and showing them the wonders of the Haida Gwaii. I have a blast even when its pissing rain, windy, choppy, and the fish arent biting. Theres a comaraderie between the staff and guests at smaller lodges and its really unique and fun. I just dont see a way to make it happen without stripping away some of the magic and putting people and communities at risk.
Well said..... and i totally agree about the comraderie with the guests. That and the life long friendships i've made with them had kept me going the last 10 years of my career

No one will be guiding this year from what I have heard In my opinion it’s putting way to many people at risk

I heard from two lodges both on the mainland but north of Vancouver Island that they will be open
but will do self guided only and will spread out their restaurant tables to comply with the BC
foodservice legislation. Masks on the choppers etc.

Both of these lodges are not "associated" or "influenced" with/by natives and are fortunate to have
one less hassle to deal with.

A thoughtful and helpful assessment advTHXance. Thanks.

Some thoughts from one of those ‘Old Guy’ guests - a Canadian living in BC. I’ve been fishing Langara for about 40 years, unguided in my younger days off of the MV Mirabel and others, guided more recently and have a trip booked again this year with my wife for later in July.

I agree that at best it’s likely to be a shortened season.

I’ve heard nothing in the last couple of weeks and the last time I talked with Langara Fishing Lodge [ the end of April ] they said they were planning on opening June 20th but things can sure change quickly these days. So, if they decide they can operate safely would we go? I guess it depends:

If the Haida said ‘Stay away.’ we wouldn’t go if it meant touching down in one of their communities.
I remember flying in on a float plane from Prince Rupert and once on a PBY from Vancouver. So there may be options other than the helicopter out of Masset.

I think there are going to be a lot fewer guests which may mean physical distancing will be easier to manage.

Not worried about the lodge as I’ve been sleeping with my fishing buddy for years and I think there is room to spread out the eating areas either physically or on a schedule [boo] and as noted there will be fewer guests.

The guided boat is a bit more of a challenge although they generally have a fair bit of room. I think we could live with a mask - might need to have a few - and be careful getting to the coffee and Baileys. I guess the big question for us would be how to know the health status of our guide and that will be tough given he’s going to be exposed to new folks every few days and lives in fairly close quarters. That’s quite a risk for even a young person to take on. The option I guess is self guided and while I’m comfortable fair weather fishing on my own down south, not so sure I’d want to do it at Langara.

If it’s a go we’ll see the plan and assess the overall situation before a decision.

In the mean time it will be catch and release off of Salamanca and maybe some fly fishing on the Cowichan. And there is always next year :)[/QUOTE]

Not really relative to Haida Gwaii ... but follows in the thread.

I just heard that North King Lodge decided that without the US fishermen they won't be able to open for the 2020 season and will not be open this year. Interesting to note that they did find a way to prepare and serve "socially distant" meals (as with other restaurants/foodservice establishments throughout BC) and had a plan to get around the guide/fisherman
proximity issue ... they just couldn't do it without the US contingent.

They gave it a hell of a try and they are a great group of people ... fought to make it happen to the end.

Hats off to them.

Now time to look for options ...

-Northern

Not really relative to Haida Gwaii ... but follows in the thread.

I just heard that North King Lodge decided that without the US fishermen they won't be able to open for the 2020 season and will not be open this year. Interesting to note that they did find a way to prepare and serve "socially distant" meals (as with other restaurants/foodservice establishments throughout BC) and had a plan to get around the guide/fisherman
proximity issue ... they just couldn't do it without the US contingent.

They gave it a hell of a try and they are a great group of people ... fought to make it happen to the end.

Hats off to them.

Now time to look for options ...

-Northern

I've seen online that lots of Americans are planning on going to Alaska to fish instead of BC this year. With no international/US customers + the possibility of no/reduced Alberta/Canada-BC Customers I am not surprised that many companies will go this route.

That said there is a 75% wage subsidy being offered now throughout the summer for business that are affected so it might of made sense for some. Still would be a hard go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back