2006 Honda 15hp

michael_reiber

Hey guys got a question I'm hoping someone may have the answer too. Just got this motor changed out the thermostat and fired it up and I have water leaking out of a hole above the thermostat housing I attached a picture.

Thanks,
Michael

Attachments

• image1-3.jpeg
    image1-3.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 50
I'm not that familiar with that model...I'm sure someone will be..but what am I seeing inside the hole? Is it salt residue or it is a hole with a ragged edge..like a perforation in the casting?

I'm not that familiar with that model...I'm sure someone will be..but what am I seeing inside the hole? Is it salt residue or it is a hole with a ragged edge..like a perforation in the casting?
There is some salt residue inside, its just a hole with threads like a bolt is meant to go in it but watching videos of others change the thermostat there isnt anything plugging the hole.

That is the fresh water flushing port, Honda has an adapter that screws in there to flush with a hose. I'm pretty sure from your picture anyway. If you screw a bolt in with an o-ring you should be fine. If memory servers I believe it's a M-8 X 1.25 thread.

That is the fresh water flushing port, Honda has an adapter that screws in there to flush with a hose. I'm pretty sure from your picture anyway. If you screw a bolt in with an o-ring you should be fine. If memory servers I believe it's a M-8 X 1.25 thread.
Awesome thanks fish-on I think you are correct. Is there usually a factory bolt or something that is in there and mine just happens to be missing it?

I can't remember 100% but I think that there is no bolt new. If memory serves I believe there is a valve of sorts inside the block but don't quote me. Quite common to have them leak as the age, screw a bolt and gsk or o-ring in and your golden. Gsk or a 311598 (BRP part#) would be best, an o-ring may spit out over time.

I can't remember 100% but I think that there is no bolt new. If memory serves I believe there is a valve of sorts inside the block but don't quote me. Quite common to have them leak as the age, screw a bolt and gsk or o-ring in and your golden. Gsk or a 311598 (BRP part#) would be best, an o-ring may spit out over time.
I will do that tomorrow, the threads are fairly corroded so I guess ill have to ran a tap through it first, I can suck air up through it which tells me that valve is stuck open and has stopped functioning. Thanks fish-on!

Inside the flushing hole, if you disassemble the water jacket, there is a small plastic piece pressed against the hole with a spring. The rubber gasket on that piece may have worn out, making water leak through. As others have said, you can either plug it with a bolt and o-ring or replace the rubber gasket. I had the exact same problem before, make sure you don't have water leaking through some other parts of the water jacket because it seems you have a fair bit of corrosion in that motor. I had to change out the whole water jacket because the salt water kept seeping out.

Inside the flushing hole, if you disassemble the water jacket, there is a small plastic piece pressed against the hole with a spring. The rubber gasket on that piece may have worn out, making water leak through. As others have said, you can either plug it with a bolt and o-ring or replace the rubber gasket. I had the exact same problem before, make sure you don't have water leaking through some other parts of the water jacket because it seems you have a fair bit of corrosion in that motor. I had to change out the whole water jacket because the salt water kept seeping out.
any idea where else it could potentially leak? Don't have water in the oil and seem to have a good stream coming out of the motor? and can't seen it leaking on the outside of the block anywhere else

In my case it was just the water jacket. Just do a visual check while the engine is running with the cover off to see if there are any leaks. Any spots of rust/salt you see in the motor is potentially a leak nearby. From your picture though it seems only the hole is leaking. I had salt all around the water jacket but yours seem concentrated around the hole.

Back