2020 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
May as well jump on the first post of the year.
Fishing has been steady for winter chinook around Pender Harbour. Started the New Year off right with a 14# hatchery fish on Jan 1, best of the winter so far.
Not seeing large amounts of bait, this one just ate a couple large herring.
Some days its undersized but there are good ones out there.
Many fish showing damage from predators.

NewYearSpring2020.jpg

Fishing has been steady for winter chinook around Pender Harbour. Started the New Year off right with a 14# hatchery fish on Jan 1, best of the winter so far.

View attachment 49788

Glad you are getting into them Gulf Rascal! Thanks as always for your contributions to the adult Chinook and Coho Diet Study. Your samples from Pender Harbour area have been a huge benefit to the program!

View attachment 49788

Nice one Rick! Can't go wrong with the Derby Winner this time of year.. see you on the water.

I was out most of yesterday... started at Bjerre and fished the high slack, then moved to Epsom for the afternoon glassss. Lots of fish to the boat (8-10) throughout the day, but all unders. Couldn't find much bait out there - Bjerre was barren in AM and Epsom only had a few small clusters. Most consistent fishing was the WSW-ENE trending bank coming off the Epsom Point marker, with the bait at the far WSW corner. Heck of a day out there though! A pair real big sea lions were catching bigger fish than me though............ o_O:mad:

I saw a few people out today. Some trolling past the lighthouse on Fran Pen. A couple jigging or mooching off of Harness and Cates islands. Don’t know if anybody was catching.

Anyone been out in the pender area recently thinking of taking a trip up that way later this week... any info would be great thanks

Nothing really in season at the moment. Salmon, Ling and Rock Cod are all closed. Ling may reopen in May.

Prawns are open but catches for me have been so-so.

Howdy,

just inquiring if the launch at coopers green is open? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Howdy,

just inquiring if the launch at coopers green is open? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

That's managed by the scrd so you could give them a shout. I'm guessing the ramp is open but the park isn't so you may have to drop the trailer elsewhere.

There's also the ramp at Buccaneer bay marina, they are open apparently.

Guys, I'm new here, so please bear with me. How's the fishing in Jervis Inlet in general? Worth a look? Looking to spend 4 or 5 days on the hook, exploring new territory

Last edited:
Welcome to the coast, Area 16 has a lot of RCA's a printable chart is available on DFO site. Depending on where you are based opportunities abound on the Malaspina side no need to run to far. Never felt the need to fish past Egmont.

How's the coho fishing at secret cove? Any suggestions on gear? I'm coming up from van for my honeymoon and mooring the boat at the resort. Any suggestions on where to go I'd be stoked!

How's the coho fishing at secret cove? Any suggestions on gear? I'm coming up from van for my honeymoon and mooring the boat at the resort. Any suggestions on where to go I'd be stoked!

EPSOM, Pilings, Sangster, could even try towards pender harbor as for gear itll be the usual hoochies with or without jugheads attached, spoons (cop car. party girl etc) the coho are usually higher up in the water column as well.

Those spots noted above are all great and there's a lot of water top to bottom of texada. You didn't mention when you're coming up to the coast? In other years I'd suggest staying away from Epsom and head to squitty bay but less of an issue this season it seems. I'm heading up first thing friday to monday and will be around secret cove and sangster island for a look aroun . Have fun!

all of the above spots have coho right now.. I will also add that 2 years ago at right around this time until mid-july, the bjerre shoal was absolutely on fire for coho, to the point where it was almost impossible to get gear down to the chinook.

have fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back